TV/Internet/Phone options

Started by Zanshin, February 12, 2008, 03:11:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Zanshin

Quote from: FastFreddie on February 12, 2008, 03:38:27 PM
Quote from: Zanshin on February 12, 2008, 03:33:17 PM
Quote from: FastFreddie on February 12, 2008, 03:31:23 PM
If you don't live in the Philadelphia market and don't have season tickets for the Eagles, you should have DirecTV. just for the Ticket.

I have DirectTV and sunday ticket as well.  I only have Sunday Ticket, and I only use the dish on Sundays during the season.  That said, I'm not all that interested in using the dish for everything.

That would be the most cost-effective solution, though.

Not really, because it wouldn't solve my internet and phone issues.  I'm looking for a bundled solution to a number of problems.  And the Fios TV is really pretty cheap if it's bundled.  I'd get a zillion channels, unlimited phone/long distance, 20 mbps Internet combined for $99 a month, locked in for two years.  And I'd get a $200 Best Buy gift card for signing up, and I'd get the first month free.  On top of that I'd have phone, cell, cable, internet all on one bill and my house included in the verizon "In-calling" network.

Actually, now that I put it that way, I'm not sure what I'm waiting for.

BigEd76

Quote from: Sgt PSN on February 12, 2008, 03:41:42 PM
Quote from: ice grillin you on February 12, 2008, 03:35:42 PM
i still will never understand why if you live outside of philly csn philly isnt on the comcast cable sports tier package...but csn balt/dc....chi....ect...all are

Are you talking about cable programming or DTV?   DTV has CSN Bodymore but not Philly and I've never understood why.  I've even emailed them several times inquiring about it but never get a response. 

It's basically because Philadelphia was the first independent CSN channel and wasn't a takeover of an existing FOX Sports/SportsChannel station that was already on satellite, so it isn't subjected to the same rules as those channels or any new ones that pop up (Sacramento, Portland, etc.)

ice grillin you

i still will never understand why if you live outside of philly csn philly isnt on the comcast cable sports tier package...but csn balt/dc....chi....ect...all are

Are you talking about cable programming or DTV?   DTV has CSN Bodymore but not Philly and I've never understood why.  I've even emailed them several times inquiring about it but never get a response.  

im talking about cable...it makes no sense that comcast wouldnt want all its sports channels on all its cable systems all over the country...especailly if its on a sports tier that they are trying to get people to buy
i can take a phrase thats rarely heard...flip it....now its a daily word

igy gettin it done like warrick

im the board pharmacist....always one step above yous

Wingspan

Quote from: ice grillin you on February 12, 2008, 04:02:19 PM

Are you talking about cable programming or DTV?   DTV has CSN Bodymore but not Philly and I've never understood why.  I've even emailed them several times inquiring about it but never get a response.  

im talking about cable...it makes no sense that comcast wouldnt want all its sports channels on all its cable systems all over the country...especailly if its on a sports tier that they are trying to get people to buy

Simple. To open CSN Philly to comcast subscribers around the country, they would have to send the channel through satelite communications. It is physically impossible to hardwire the station over that many 1000's of miles.

And the law is that any station broadcast through satellite must be open to all cable companies and television providers.

If DTV or Dish has access to CSN Philly, comcast would lost roughly 40% of it's subscribers in philly, which is comcast bread and butter. Philadelphia currently one of the highest cable rates in the country.
Connection Problems

Sorry, SMF was unable to connect to the database. This may be caused by the server being busy. Please try again later.

ice grillin you

cant they charge the dish companies out the ass to carry it...or if they did that then the dish companies wouldnt let them use their equipment to broadcast

Wingspan

Quote from: ice grillin you on February 12, 2008, 04:15:24 PM
cant they charge the dish companies out the ass to carry it...or if they did that then the dish companies wouldnt let them use their equipment to broadcast

Sure they can.

The only reason they don't now, is because they flat out refuse to do it.

Comcast makes more more ripping of philadelphians for the channel then they would allowing maybe 2% of it's national subscribers access to it.

As long as they can use that hardwire loophole to keep CSN in philly exclusively. They will never allow it to be nationally broadcast.
Connection Problems

Sorry, SMF was unable to connect to the database. This may be caused by the server being busy. Please try again later.

ice grillin you

so open it up and put it on satelitte but charge the dish companies an exhorbitant rate to the point where they wont carry the station...that way it gets on all comcast cable systems around the country but not on direct tv

Zanshin

Jumped in.  Essentially, they're giving me about $300 to switch, and my per month cost for the services won't be any higher...but the quality should be better for each. 

I'll let you know how it goes.

Sgt PSN

We're holding our collective breath. 

Zanshin

SD_Eagle5

April 4th verizon is coming out to install the goods. Buh Bye Comcast.

For the same price as I was paying Comcast I'm getting a free phone which I'll never use, free wireless modem, free HBO for 3 months, , an extra box for my bedroom, and EVERY movie channel. holla

PoopyfaceMcGee

So, you're getting free stuff you don't need for the same price, and you'll no longer get CSN.

SD_Eagle5

CSN is included, CN8 isn't. As long as I can see the Flyers/Sixers/Bums that's all I care about.

PoopyfaceMcGee

Wow, I'm surprised Verizon got Comcast to give them CSN.

Carry on, then.

CN8, as has been mentioned recently, is usually useless.

SD_Eagle5

Quote from: FastFreddie on March 18, 2008, 12:12:23 PM
Wow, I'm surprised Verizon got Comcast to give them CSN.

Carry on, then.

CN8, as has been mentioned recently, is usually useless.

I was surprised as hell too, link. And aside form the occassional crap game like you said CN8 is useless. Only thing I hate is having to learn new channels.