War with Iran

Started by MURP, February 08, 2006, 12:54:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

methdeez

Quote from: Jerome99RIP on February 08, 2006, 12:58:42 PM
Israel already destroyed one nuclear research facility in the region.  I'm astounded they haven't taken out Iran's as of yet.   More than astounded, actually.  Dumbfounded might be a more accurate description.

After they did this, everyone realized that you need to bury and scatter your facilities. It is no longer really possible.

phillymic2000

Plus Russia just ok'd a huge sale of air defense weapons for Iran :yay

Phanatic

Quote from: Diomedes on February 08, 2006, 05:32:19 PM
Quote from: Phanatic on February 08, 2006, 05:18:26 PM
Oh and if ya shoot her and your wrong the press runs with it and tells the world about the bad old military.

That pesky media, telling the world about soldiers killing civilians!  The nerve!!  Who said free speech was Good, anyway?  Lynch that guy!

Just saying that ifin you have a war it is going to happen. Specially when you put people you train to kill in charge of a civilian populace with an insurgency. I'm always surprised that people act so surprised that is all.
This post is brought to you by Alcohol!

phillymic2000

because we are supposed to fight our enemies hand to hand, not take advantage of all our superior weapons, I mean the enemy always lets you know who he is before he drives a car bomb into you.

PhillyPhanInDC

Quote from: phillymic2000 on February 08, 2006, 06:27:59 PM
Plus Russia just ok'd a huge sale of air defense weapons for Iran :yay

Iraq had been buying Russia's junk weapons systems for years, and they amounted to nothing more than a slight nuisance. Russia's zesty weapons won't do much for their air defenses if this war actually pops off.
"The very existence of flamethrowers proves that some time, somewhere, someone said to themselves, "You know, I want to set those people over there on fire, but I'm just not close enough to get the job done.""  R.I.P George.

Rome

Quote from: SD_Eagle on February 08, 2006, 03:20:04 PM
You're delusional if you think they'll ever impose another draft. I'm telling you, it won't happen. Think of invading Iran from a strategic standpoint, we've already invaded and occuppied their neighboring country, so a foothold in the region has already been established. The U.S. has the capibility to take Iran down as fast as it did Iraq. Only reason Iraq fell so fast is because we obliterated them 10 years earlier.

A few things...

First, I'm 40 years old so the chance of me being drafted is nil.  If they start calling old motherfargers up like me, chances are we'll be used to bury the millions of dead on our own soil after a nuclear attack.

Second, if you don't think a draft is remotely possible, explain to me why the selective service system is still in place.  If I'm so delusional, why are there congressmen calling for the draft to be re-instituted?

Unfortunately, I don't think I'm wrong, my man.  I think I'm dead-on considering the absolute insane course of action the neocon chimp @ 1600 has taken since 9/11.    No, it's not a matter of if it's going to happen, SD;  It's a matter of when.  Considering you just hung 'em up, it's likely you'll be first to be called back.  For that, I'm truly sorry.

Geowhizzer

We're too old, Romey.

SELECTIVE SERVICE LOTTERY

QuoteIf and when the Congress and the President reinstate a military draft, the Selective Service System would conduct a National Draft Lottery to determine the order in which young men would be drafted.

The lottery would establish the priority of call based on the birth dates of registrants. The first men drafted would be those turning age 20 during the calendar year of the lottery. For example, if a draft were held in 1998, those men born in 1978 would be considered first. If a young man turns 21 in the year of the draft, he would be in the second priority, in turning 22 he would be in the third priority, and so forth until the year in which he turns 26 at which time he is over the age of liability. Younger men would not be called in that year until men in the 20-25 age group are called.

SD_Eagle5

Quote from: Jerome99RIP on February 08, 2006, 07:08:39 PM
Quote from: SD_Eagle on February 08, 2006, 03:20:04 PM
You're delusional if you think they'll ever impose another draft. I'm telling you, it won't happen. Think of invading Iran from a strategic standpoint, we've already invaded and occuppied their neighboring country, so a foothold in the region has already been established. The U.S. has the capibility to take Iran down as fast as it did Iraq. Only reason Iraq fell so fast is because we obliterated them 10 years earlier.

A few things...

First, I'm 40 years old so the chance of me being drafted is nil.  If they start calling old motherfargers up like me, chances are we'll be used to bury the millions of dead on our own soil after a nuclear attack.

Second, if you don't think a draft is remotely possible, explain to me why the selective service system is still in place.  If I'm so delusional, why are there congressmen calling for the draft to be re-instituted?

Unfortunately, I don't think I'm wrong, my man.  I think I'm dead-on considering the absolute insane course of action the neocon chimp @ 1600 has taken since 9/11.    No, it's not a matter of if it's going to happen, SD;  It's a matter of when.  Considering you just hung 'em up, it's likely you'll be first to be called back.  For that, I'm truly sorry.

I completed 8 years of active service which means I'm no longer obligated - in any way, shape or form - to go back into the military. :) That would go against my rights and yes I do have THAT in writing.  :-*(I'm also 30)

As far as the draft, what congressmen have called for the draft to be re-instituted? I've heard grumblings from disgruntled people, but I have yet to see concrete proof that they're considering this.

Selective service is a bunch of bullshtein, if they were seriously considering a draft it would have been instituted by now. The U.S. military is stronger than what you're lead to believe. Their manpower and resources are set up to handle conflicts in many different locations.

Geowhizzer

I just have to say that the picture of the Director of Selective Service does not instill a whole lot of confidence in me.

JTrotter Fan

Quote from: Diomedes on February 08, 2006, 01:21:06 PM
Quote from: MURP on February 08, 2006, 12:54:42 PMThen, Ritter said, the United States will drop a nuclear bomb on Iran.

If the U.S. drops a nuclear bomb on Iran or anyone else, I'll lose my farging mind.

You already have man...go to Walmart and buy a fresh one.

If any country with an Air Force attacks Israel, that is the sign of the start of the end of days...or that it is near. 
When you're riding in a time machine way far into the future, don't stick your elbow out the window, or it'll turn into a fossil.

phillymic2000

Quote from: Geowhizzer on February 08, 2006, 07:28:39 PM
I just have to say that the picture of the Director of Selective Service does not instill a whole lot of confidence in me.

wow, director of what selective service? who gets to ride the tart cart?

mussa

Official Sponsor of The Fire Andy Reid Club
"We be plundering the High Sequence Seas For the hidden Treasures of Conservation"

General_Failure

Pretty soon you'll be walkin' to the bus stop all by yourself.

The man. The myth. The legend.

NGM

And the director of the Selective Service will be waiting there to offer you candy and a ride to school. 
Fletch:  Can I borrow your towel for a sec? My car just hit a water buffalo.

EJ72

An upcoming war with Iran seems to be pretty much a certainty, but things have been on shaky ground over there ever since the revolution in 79. It's been a matter of having just the right nutcase in charge of things over there, and Ahmadinejad seems to be the guy for the job. He sure doesn't seem as though he's interested in what anyone thinks.

If it does happen I doubt it would be another Iraq. The logistics of a conflict in Iran will be more similiar to those in Afghanistan, only Iran's more than twice the size and there will be a lot more than just the Taliban to deal with.

A draft? I don't know. I'm pretty sure our military's at around 2M total, but I think a chunk of that is in the reserves. Regular active duty is probably more around 1.5M, divided between the 4 main branches and the Coast Guard. If a conflict was limited to just Iran I doubt there would be a need for the draft, but if other hostile countries got involved I don't know that there would be a choice. I'm 50, so I won't be going either way.