Anyone had a good meal at a restaurant lately?

Started by Rome, March 08, 2006, 02:38:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

paco

Quote from: ice grillin you on July 20, 2010, 04:12:47 PM
yeah verizon = penn quarter...that whole area is so sterile and basically makes me nauseous
One other place we go that I remembered: Chef Geoff's  (not bad, but not great)
I'm not from Philly but some say I'm blunt.

SD

Quote from: ice grillin you on July 20, 2010, 03:28:46 PM
you need to venture out of penn quarter and away from chain central

i dont even know what dc steakhouse is so that could be good.....but the rest are just nicer versions of chain restaurants...altho ive heard capital grilles are really good i cant bring myself to go to a rest like that is in very major city

The Capital Grille's food is good to excellent depending on what you get. The restaurants are very nice and the service is usually very good. That being said they're not even top 10 in Philly.

ice grillin you

Quote from: paco on July 20, 2010, 04:21:25 PM
Quote from: ice grillin you on July 20, 2010, 04:12:47 PM
yeah verizon = penn quarter...that whole area is so sterile and basically makes me nauseous
One other place we go that I remembered: Chef Geoff's  (not bad, but not great)

that used to be all the rage but has fallen off big time apparently
i can take a phrase thats rarely heard...flip it....now its a daily word

igy gettin it done like warrick

im the board pharmacist....always one step above yous

paco

It has.  The only really appealing thing is:
1) The massive beers they have on a happy hour special
2) The scrany female DC interns that go there to get loaded off them

phattymatty

my previous office was next to the verizon center. if you need to stay in that area hit zatinya or matchbox or taylor gourmet for food and rocket bar for $3 PBRs. theres also a BBQ place there that is supposed to be good but i've not been. it's an ok area but yeah it's the most generic chinatown in the country and there are many better sections to spend time.

paco

Quote from: phattymatty on July 20, 2010, 04:35:05 PM
my previous office was next to the verizon center. if you need to stay in that area hit zatinya or matchbox or taylor gourmet for food and rocket bar for $3 PBRs. theres also a BBQ place there that is supposed to be good but i've not been. it's an ok area but yeah it's the most generic chinatown in the country and there are many better sections to spend time.
I heard about zatinya and I have been meaning to go to matchbox.  Maybe next week I'll hook up matchbox.

ice grillin you

not that its bad but matchbox wouldnt be in the top 100 places to go in dc...its completely standard fare

in penn quarter id do proof which is really really good...corderoy used to be one of my favorite restaurants in the city when it was downtown...its since moved to penn quarter and i have heard isnt quite as good but im still sure its more than worth going

ps7's is also not bad and they have arguably the bext mixologist in the city...their bar is awesome for happy hour if you can get in....as previously mentioned zatinya is not a bad choice either

all these are infintely better than matchbox

phattymatty

yeah food wise it's nothing amazing but still good.  wouldn;t go out of my way unless i was already in the area and its a good crowd usually. and yeah i like proof. have never been to corduroy.

zatinya is the shtein though, but you need to like Mediterranean food...lamb, seafood, veggie dishes and shtein. not a steak and potato place.

ice grillin you

yeah zatinya is not for everyone...actually id never go back cause its not my cup of tea food wise but you cant question its quality

Diomedes

is Marrakesh any good any more?  it's been like fifteen years since I had a great night there.
There is considerable overlap between the intelligence of the smartest bears and the dumbest tourists." - Yosemite Park Ranger

rjs246

Quote from: Diomedes on July 21, 2010, 04:19:25 PM
is Marrakesh any good any more?  it's been like fifteen years since I had a great night there.

I've only been there once but it was amazing.
Is rjs gonna have to choke a bitch?

Let them eat bootstraps.

PhillyGirl

"Oh, yeah. They'll still boo. They have to. They're born to boo. Just now, they'll only boo with two Os instead of like four." - Larry Andersen

hbionic

Indian food is good....just have to get used to the fact they use a form of yogurt in their meals.
I said watch the game and you will see my spirit manifest.-ILLEAGLE 02/04/05

PhillyPhreak54

No, but there was 4 Indian ladies in the gym this morning and the place farging reeked.

phattymatty

Quote from: Diomedes on July 21, 2010, 04:19:25 PM
is Marrakesh any good any more?  it's been like fifteen years since I had a great night there.

that place hasn't changed in years. it's run by terrorists, and i'm not being racist, it's actual terrorist ties. you learn some shtein in the real estate industry. but i was there like 5 years apart from each other and nothing changed. same 7 courses, same fat belly dancers. but it's still a fun experience if you've never been there. if you bring a country folk who has never experienced the foreigners it's fun but if it's someone who has been to good restaurants before its probably not worth it.