Anyone had a good meal at a restaurant lately?

Started by Rome, March 08, 2006, 02:38:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sgt PSN

Quote from: Rome on April 28, 2008, 09:40:16 PM
i had dinner with the family at bonefish grill tonight.  food was great as always.  had the lump crab/corn chowder & fontina pork chop entree with steamed vegetable medley.  blah, blah, blah.  whatever.

the main reason i'm posting this is to tell you about the fish taco appetizer i had.  holy farging shtein, it was incredible,  basically it's two soft taco shells to which they add two large pieces of breaded fish that appears to be coated with some sort of spicy/cheesy breading.  then they add lettuce to the bottom of the taco's and then mango/pepper salsa on top of the fish with sauce from the bang-bang shrimp on the side.

it might have been the best tasting food i've ever had.  i'm going back this weekend for more.  it really was that good.

There's a Bonefish Grill a few blocks down the street from where I live.  I didn't realize it was a chain though.  Still, the food is delicious. 

Susquehanna Birder

Sgt PSN

PoopyfaceMcGee

SD_Eagle5

methdeez

Quote from: SD_Eagle on April 28, 2008, 10:27:25 PM
Fish tacos originated in San Diego...outside so cal everyone I've tasted has tasted like ass.
Fish tacos originated in Mexico you idiot.
the only thing that originated in San Diego is annoying, rich, conservative white people.

SD_Eagle5

Quote from: methdeez on April 29, 2008, 05:54:54 PM
Quote from: SD_Eagle on April 28, 2008, 10:27:25 PM
Fish tacos originated in San Diego...outside so cal everyone I've tasted has tasted like ass.
Fish tacos originated in Mexico you idiot.
the only thing that originated in San Diego is annoying, rich, conservative white people.

History of fish tacos

QuoteWhen most college students go away for spring break, all they come back with is a sunburn. But not Ralph Rubio.
Every spring, Ralph and his buddies would head to the Baja village of San Felipe, where you could camp on the beach for free, catch some rays, and forget about studying. One night, a hungry Ralph spotted a taco shop with an unusual specialty advertised in the window: fish tacos. He ordered one, took a few bites, and was hooked.
Over time Ralph became pals with Carlos, the man behind the counter. Carlos showed Ralph how his fish tacos were made. Ralph went back to San Diego and perfected a recipe of his own.
Several years later, with his father Ray as his partner, he opened his first restaurant - a walk-up stand in Mission Beach. Since that day back in 1983, Ralph, with the help of a lot of great people, has sold more than 50 million fish tacos.
Of course, a lot has changed from that original restaurant. Rubio's is now Rubio's Fresh Mexican Grill® and has over 160 locations serving a menu which features made-to-order burritos, soft-shell tacos, and quesadillas and salads made with marinated, chargrilled chicken breast and steak, as well as seafood representative of the Baja, California region of Mexico, such as chargrilled mahi mahi, sautéed shrimp and our signature Baja-style fish taco. The Rubio's menu continues to expand and evolve, with inspiration from Ralph's continued culinary exploration of Mexico. In addition to the World Famous Fish TacoSM, Rubio's also offers other signature menu items including:

phattymatty

methdeez

You are telling me that no one wrapped an tortilla around fried fish until 1983 and a drunk white guy came around?
I have been to fish taco places in Baha that 75 years old.

http://whatscookingamerica.net/History/Tortilla_Taco_history.htm
QuoteFish Tacos - Ensenada, Mexico claims to be the birth place of the fish taco, and they are advertised at restaurants throughout the city where many claim that their taco is the original. The best place to sample them is at any of the small food stands that line the streets around the Mercado Negro, Ensenada's incredible fish market. The fish tacos served are simply small pieces of batter-coated, fried fish in a hot corn or wheat tortilla.

People in the coastal areas of Mexico have been eating fish tacos  for a long time. The history of fish tacos could seemly go back thousands of years to when indigenous North American peoples first wrapped the plentiful offshore catch into stone-ground-corn tortillas. The people of Ensenada say their port town is the fish taco's true home, dating at least from the opening of the Ensenada mercado, in 1958.

SD_Eagle5

75 years old? I thought you were younger like in your 30's. Best fish tacos I ever tasted were in Ensenada or Rosarito. Rubio's has decent ones too but they're a chain so that's not cool around here.

methdeez

Quote from: phattymatty on April 29, 2008, 06:38:08 PM
so san felipe is not in mexico?
That quote basically says the he stole the idea from someone in Mexico, yet it still claims that he invented it.

But fish tacos are amazing.
I have never been to Wahoo's, which is most heavily promoted one, although I have heard it is schtien.
the best fish Taco I have ever had was at a home/taco shack in Bahia De Los Angeles right on the main road.
Actually, they had the best fish taco and best shrimp taco. Really turned me on to the shrip taco.

ice grillin you

do you really wanna be known as having invented the fish taco....as if thats a source of great pride
i can take a phrase thats rarely heard...flip it....now its a daily word

igy gettin it done like warrick

im the board pharmacist....always one step above yous

methdeez

Quote from: ice grillin you on April 29, 2008, 08:09:36 PM
do you really wanna be known as having invented the fish taco....as if thats a source of great pride

What are you going to be known for?

ice grillin you

i can take a phrase thats rarely heard...flip it....now its a daily word

igy gettin it done like warrick

im the board pharmacist....always one step above yous

General_Failure

The man. The myth. The legend.