Phillies Off-Season Thread

Started by PhillyPhreak54, October 02, 2014, 06:47:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

PhillyPhreak54

MDS

not really

nobody builds a dynasty buy buying free agents or swinging the right trade....you have to draft and develop a core. they already had one. they didnt have another one coming. really the only revisionist history you could do, in terms of not having an awful product right now, is to draft and develop completely different players than the ones they invested in (this would be ideal).

i wasnt absolving amaro of blame for the current state of the team. he sucks. but the core was getting older and there was going to be a natural down period. the difference, as stated above, was amaro's incompetence turned it from 2-3 years to 5+

there was one with the cardinals. they missed the playoffs in 2010, then luckily made it in 2011 and happened to win a world series because theyre the cardinals and good things happen to them. no team is going to be great forever. youre good, you try to win, you take a step back, youre good again. the phillies held on too long, is all.
Zero hour, Michael. It's the end of the line. I'm the firstborn. I'm sick of playing second fiddle. I'm always third in line for everything. I'm tired of finishing fourth. Being the fifth wheel. There are six things I'm mad about, and I'm taking over.

ice grillin you

im with you all the way on amaro romey but you were all in on paplebon and werth got one of the most ridiculous contracts ever
i can take a phrase thats rarely heard...flip it....now its a daily word

igy gettin it done like warrick

im the board pharmacist....always one step above yous

MDS

actually the contracts had nothing to do with why the suck....the phillies print money. i know everyone gets all worked up when pro athletes make all this cash but its just fair market value. calm down.

anyway, again, here's why the phillies suck:
1. when they were winning nl east titles, they didnt draft and develop talent
2. the talent that they did develop was traded away for players to help the MLB team win

there
Zero hour, Michael. It's the end of the line. I'm the firstborn. I'm sick of playing second fiddle. I'm always third in line for everything. I'm tired of finishing fourth. Being the fifth wheel. There are six things I'm mad about, and I'm taking over.

ice grillin you

lol at werth getting fair market value

you do realize there is such thing as paying above a players market value...that bullshtein cliché about a player is worth whatever someone is willing to pay him is not true

Rome

I absolutely was all in on Papelbon.

And I was wrong.

PhillyPhreak54

Quote from: ice grillin you on October 10, 2014, 12:55:15 PM
lol at werth getting fair market value

you do realize there is such thing as paying above a players market value...that bullshtein cliché about a player is worth whatever someone is willing to pay him is not true

Yep

MDS

who cares what they get paid...really...fair market or not. the reason the phillies suck isnt because they threw a ton of money at papelbon and howard.

ice grillin you

Rome

Not re-signing that bearded flag wasn't the wrong decision.  That contract was and remains absolutely moronic and he's in no way, shape or form worth it.  Not adequately replacing him is the problem and that's entirely on Amaro. 

Sgt PSN

Quote from: Rome on October 11, 2014, 07:04:57 AM
Not re-signing that bearded flag wasn't the wrong decision.  That contract was and remains absolutely moronic and he's in no way, shape or form worth it.  Not adequately replacing him is the problem and that's entirely on Amaro. 

If I remember correctly, the free agent pool for right fielders wasn't overwhelmingly deep that year, which is in part what led to Washington throwing a ton of money at Werth.  I also believe it was later that season that he traded for Pence, wasn't it?  So you can't really say that Rube didn't find an adequate replacement. 

MDS

Quote from: Rome on October 11, 2014, 07:04:57 AM

fair point. though again, IF they resigned werth they would pretty much be in the same spot, save for having singleton, cosart and santana (though roob likely would have traded singleton for something stupid, since he was blocked by howard who hadnt even started his 5/125 yet).

again, i know it drives you crazy when pro athletes make a ton of money, but the phillies have more than enough cash. what they dont have is an adequate minor league system, and you cant buy that.

Rome

It doesn't bother me at all.  They wasted money on over the hill talent.  If they had spent it wisely on productive guys you wouldn't hear a peep out of me.

The Angels spent a kings ransom on Pujols and Hamilton yet they still made the dance because they spent money elsewhere wisely.  And drafted wisely too (Millville represent).

MDS

so youre saying the phillies need to draft good players?

Don Ho

Jerome Williams, 1 year deal.  Yes, feeling it. 
"Well where does Jack Lord live, or Don Ho?  That's got to be a nice neighborhood"  Jack Singer(Nicholas Cage) in Honeymoon in Vegas.