2013 College Football Thread

Started by ice grillin you, February 06, 2013, 07:59:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

BigEd76

Donte' Stallworth on Twitter:

QuoteHerm Edwards posed a hypothetical question on espn re: drafting Michael Sam, "can (GM/owner/coach) handle the media... with this situation?"
If any NFL team can't "handle the media coverage" of drafting Sam, then your team is already a loser on the field... let me tell you why...
There are a multitude of issues that can arise in the long duration of an NFL season... some on the field, some off the field.
You won't have any idea what that on the field/off the field situation is until it's already upon you and the entire organization...
Which means that with drafting Michael Sam, you get a jump start on controlling the "media coverage" right from the onset.
If an organization is inept to the magnitude of not being able to control things with prior knowledge, how will you handle the unexpected?
Case Study 1: The Miami Dolphins and the bullying scandal... players talked more about THAT than they did football... for weeks!
During that time I questioned (tweeted) why the Dolphins players were talking more about the scandal than their next opponent....
Since the bullying story broke, the Dolphins finished the season 4-4...w/playoff hopes still alive, got spanked by division opp Jets, 20-7
Case Study 2: The New England Patriots and Aaron Hernandez AND Tim Tebow situations...
Beyond the state of shock I endured after the revelations of Hernandez, I knew that if ANY organization could handle this, it was the Pats.
This all happened right before training camp where players are supposed to come in w/clear minds in preparation for a long, rigorous season.
Not only were there questions about Aaron, but also about the health of Gronkowski and how those two combined affected the team as a whole.
Aaron is still awaiting trial & Gronk played in only 7 games this season...but yet the Pats seemed to avoid those "distractions" altogether.
Despite many season ending injuries to key pieces, the Pats finished 12-4 and lost to the Broncos in the AFC title with... ZERO distractions
Not to mention the whole Tebow signing and (alleged subsequent) distraction wasn't even a blip on most radars... Why?
Because Mr. Kraft and Bill Belichick would not allow ANY of that to be a "distraction" to ANYONE in the entire organization...
In my 10 years as an NFL player, I've played for 6 different teams & have been in every kind of locker room. Vet, young, mature, immature...
The leaders of an NFL organization AND the locker room better be able to handle adversity that is certain to emerge during a long NFL season
In my experience, if your organization can't "handle media coverage", they will suck on the field anyway
... but hey, there's always 2015...

Chameleon

If we are trying to get to the point where things such as these are not newsworthy then the left is going about it in the worst way possible. By constantly mocking the right they do nothing outside of boldening their feelings on the subject. Important or not coming out right before the draft is stupid. You are entering a dominant society that preys on weakness. Telling everyone that you like dick isn't helping.

MDS

Quote from: Chameleon on February 10, 2014, 03:18:12 PM
If we are trying to get to the point where things such as these are not newsworthy then the left is going about it in the worst way possible. By constantly mocking the right they do nothing outside of boldening their feelings on the subject. Important or not coming out right before the draft is stupid. You are entering a dominant society that preys on weakness. Telling everyone that you like dick isn't helping.

so....
Zero hour, Michael. It's the end of the line. I'm the firstborn. I'm sick of playing second fiddle. I'm always third in line for everything. I'm tired of finishing fourth. Being the fifth wheel. There are six things I'm mad about, and I'm taking over.

Seabiscuit36

"For all the civic slurs, for all the unsavory things said of the Philadelphia fans, also say this: They could teach loyalty to a dog. Their capacity for pain is without limit." -Bill Lyons

Rome

Quote from: Chameleon on February 10, 2014, 03:18:12 PM

I'm pretty sure racists and homophobes don't want or need the left's approval for their feelings.

Don Ho

"Well where does Jack Lord live, or Don Ho?  That's got to be a nice neighborhood"  Jack Singer(Nicholas Cage) in Honeymoon in Vegas.

Rome

PhillyPhreak54

Haha maybe maybe not

But not for that ridiculous rumored trade

Rome

I was looking for my first post pimping Famous and came across that.   Holy shtein, dude... just that close.

PhillyPhreak54

Well it's still possible. I know discussing possibilities and rumors are verboten here at CF but if he flames out at Tennessee and doesn't get a second contract he will be with Chip