Week 3 - Giants: Home Sweet Eli

Started by MDS, September 17, 2017, 11:07:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SD

It's all good, they have exactly one lineman on the PS too. At least they have 8 running backs, none of which are remotely useful aside from Sproles.

ice grillin you

their depth at guard is outstanding...not so much OT...they only have three OL who could even attempt to play tackle
i can take a phrase thats rarely heard...flip it....now its a daily word

igy gettin it done like warrick

im the board pharmacist....always one step above yous

SD

Quote from: ice grillin you on September 21, 2017, 12:16:37 PM
their depth at guard is outstanding...not so much OT...they only have three OL who could even attempt to play tackle

It is not outstanding. Seumolu making it out of camp as the starting LG should tell you something. Re-watched both games this season, Seumolu isn't bad, he's flat out awful. If you put a tackling dummy at LG it would have done a better job. Warmack is a slight upgrade only because he's a mauler and at least DTs won't just slip by him on the way to pounce Wentz. Plus he's an above average run blocker.

With OT you're spot on, again, why get rid of a guy like Barbre or even Tobin who can play both G and OT. Dumb.

ice grillin you

Quote from: SD on September 21, 2017, 01:21:45 PM
Quote from: ice grillin you on September 21, 2017, 12:16:37 PM

It is not outstanding. Seumolu making it out of camp as the starting LG should tell you something.

i dont think you know what depth means

SD

I know exactly what it means. Just because you have a bunch of mediocre players at a position with no clear cut starter doesn't mean you have depth.

ice grillin you

Quote from: SD on September 21, 2017, 01:39:45 PM
Just because you have a bunch of mediocre players at a position with no clear cut starter doesn't mean you have depth.

depth is about how much of a drop off their is if a starter goes down

Zanshin

Well, in that definition, every team with zesty starters has outstanding depth no matter what they have.

SD

Quote from: ice grillin you on September 21, 2017, 02:06:28 PM
Just because you have a bunch of mediocre players at a position with no clear cut starter doesn't mean you have depth.

Depth is about having a clear cut starter who in case he goes down there's another player behind him who can step in and can play at a comparable level. Remember when the Eagles had Welbourn and Mayberry as starters and Brzenski as a backup? That was OG depth. Brzenski could have started for half the teams in the league.

Sgt PSN

Quote from: SD on September 21, 2017, 02:32:30 PM

Depth is about having a clear cut starter who in case he goes down there's another player behind him who can step in and can play at a comparable level. Remember when the Eagles had Welbourn and Mayberry as starters and Brzenski as a backup? That was OG depth. Brzenski could have started for half the teams in the league.

I'd say that was more of an anomale/good fortune more than anything else. It's pretty rare to have a "clear cut starter" filing a back up role because clear cut starters generally start.

ice grillin you

Quote from: Zanshin on September 21, 2017, 02:19:24 PM
Well, in that definition, every team with zesty starters has outstanding depth no matter what they have.

not necessarily...eagles would be a perfect example if you believe semu cant play...you might think warmack isnt good but if his back up shouldnt be in the nfl then thats a huge drop off...i think the drop off between an average starter in the league and not being able to make the league is bigger than a pro bowler to an average starter...i also think the position matters...the gap say at guard is not going to be nearly as big as at tackle

Quote from: SD on September 21, 2017, 02:32:30 PM

Depth is about having a clear cut starter who in case he goes down there's another player behind him who can step in and can play at a comparable level. 

you are using like sarge said the rare extreme example of having a starter play back up...but you also are saying the exact same thing i said....its about the drop off and in your example there is no drop off

SD

Depth isn't mediocrity filling in for mediocrity. I'm not talking a clear cut starter as a backup, I'm talking about someone who can fill in for a starter at an adequate playing level. You can't have a crappy starter, then put in a backup and call that 'depth' because they both suck. Would you say the Eagles have Running Back depth?

The literal meaning of depth:

/depTH/
noun
noun: depth; plural noun: depths; plural noun: the depths
1. the distance from the top or surface of something to its bottom.

Your definition is the middle of the surface to the middle of the surface.

ice grillin you

lol depth of an ocean is not he same as depth in sports

ill kindly exit this one...you guys can take it from here

SD

By your logic the Eagles have depth at every position, including RB and CB.

Don Ho

Quote from: MDS on September 19, 2017, 09:48:26 AM
if the eagles cant win this game fire the franchise into the sun.

That's been attempted numerous times since, well the past 50 years.  Sun keeps spitting it back.
"Well where does Jack Lord live, or Don Ho?  That's got to be a nice neighborhood"  Jack Singer(Nicholas Cage) in Honeymoon in Vegas.

ice grillin you

Quote from: SD on September 21, 2017, 04:13:53 PM
By your logic the Eagles have depth at every position, including RB and CB.

the players still have to be at least solid...just because you have a lot of players at a position doesnt mean they are good

G depth is good

warmack and wiz are excellent back ups in this league that come with lots of starts under their belt

RB depth is bad

smallwood (probably) and pumphrey when he was on the active roster (definitely) arent nfl players

with darby in and counting jenkins as a cb i dont think the depth there is terrible...i certainly wouldnt rave about it....but corner is a different animal because its really hard to find good starters much less good back ups and its a position where you cant hide like i was saying before with OT