Let's all talk about our experiences smoking weed. That'll be farging great.

Started by Diomedes, May 09, 2008, 08:14:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Father Demon

I'm all for locking up the violent criminals and throwing away the key.  Actually, I'm all for the killing of violent criminals.  Drug dealers, in high percentages, fit in that category.  However, the victimless criminals (users, Johns, etc) have no place in federal prisons.  Legalization is the only thing that can change this trend, but as rjs mentioned, hoping for that is a useless waste of time in today's society.  Legalize it, tax it, control it.  It solves so many problems.  And this opinion is brought to you by a non-drug user.
The drawback to marital longevity is your wife always knows when you're really interested in her and when you're just trying to bury it.

reese125

QuoteLegalize it, tax it, control it

the first 2--sure

your third--see ya

Phanatic

I don't know if I can bring myself to be for legalizing drugs.
This post is brought to you by Alcohol!

shorebird

There are drugs that are already legal.

ice grillin you

Quote from: shorebird on May 09, 2008, 12:35:23 PM
There are drugs that are already legal.

yep...theres 100 commericals a day on televison for them
i can take a phrase thats rarely heard...flip it....now its a daily word

igy gettin it done like warrick

im the board pharmacist....always one step above yous

rjs246

Quote from: Phanatic on May 09, 2008, 12:33:51 PM

That's either because you think there is something morally wrong with drugs (in which case there's no way to ever change your mind) or you have never researched the matter thoroughly. It is almost impossible to find research that points to any type of prohibition having any kind of positive impact. It costs money in a place where money could actually be made AND most importantly it's 100% ineffective. It doesn't stop anyone from taking drugs, it only serves to make those that do into criminals.
Is rjs gonna have to choke a bitch?

Let them eat bootstraps.

Phanatic

Outside of Alcahol are there any other recreational drugs that are legal?

rjs246

The only difference between prescription pain killers and weed is that one has the support of multi-billion dollar pharmaceutical companies and one does not.

Oh, and one is addictive while the other is not...

So yes, there are plenty of 'recreational' drugs that are perfectly legal and as easy to obtain as walking into any suburban home and raiding the bathroom medicine cabinet.

Let them eat bootstraps.

ice grillin you

Quote from: rjs246 on May 09, 2008, 12:41:17 PM

That's either because you think there is something morally wrong with drugs (in which case there's no way to ever change your mind) or you have never researched the matter thoroughly. It is almost impossible to find research that points to any type of prohibition having any kind of positive impact. It costs money in a place where money could actually be made AND most importantly it's 100% ineffective. It doesn't stop anyone from taking drugs, it only serves to make those that do into criminals.

but one of the reasons so many people find drugs to be morally wrong and thus dont take them is because they are illegal...in certain cases i agree with what youre saying...weed for example should absolutely 100% be legal...but to say that making drugs illegal stops no one from doing them isnt true....if you have a strong desire to use you can and will...but there are definitely people who would do them were they legal that dont do them now

for example even tho prohibition was an overall disaster theres no doubt that making alcohol illegal significantly lowered the usage of it

i can take a phrase thats rarely heard...flip it....now its a daily word

igy gettin it done like warrick

im the board pharmacist....always one step above yous

Phanatic

Quote from: rjs246 on May 09, 2008, 12:41:17 PM

No my problem with legalizing drugs is that they are highly addictive substances. How do you leaglize a substance like Heroin where you take one hit and morgage your house to get more because it's that good? Crack? How do you legalize that? Then you have companies making and marketing it? Users are victims in most cases because it's a chemical addiction. It's all a slippery slope either way. 

Phanatic

To add Pot should probably be legal.

rjs246

At IGY: Fine, it lowered usage overall, but it also meant that 100% of the people who did use were, by definition, criminals. Which is ludicrous.

As far as thinking that something being illegal makes it immoral, you're right, it's part of a cycle that has been put in place that will keep drugs from ever being decriminalized.

Let them eat bootstraps.

Cerevant

Yep - I was just posting the same question - where do you draw the line?

I think I'd be more inclined to decriminalize possession and use, and tightly control manufacture/sale.  I don't think it would change the landscape though, because you can't legalize everything.

(I think pot should be legal, subject to current smoking restrictions)
An ad hominem fallacy consists of asserting that someone's argument is wrong and/or he is wrong to argue at all purely because of something discreditable/not-authoritative about the person or those persons cited by him rather than addressing the soundness of the argument itself.

Phanatic

If you were really interested in curbing usage of the harder drugs rather then sending addicts to prison (criminal trade school) send them to rehab and do what you can to get them off the drugs. Right now they go to jail, get the same drugs while in prison and make better contacts for when they get out.

fansince61

Quote from: Father Demon on May 09, 2008, 12:19:55 PM
Legalize it, tax it, control it.  It solves so many problems.  And this opinion is brought to you by a non-drug user.

Yup!  And Tax it again!  Set some money aside for rehabs and use the windfall to pay down the debt. (a real lock box this time).   Drug users get a photo id card and it's on their drivers license.  They buy it form state operated stores and each sale is recorded.  Users agree to giving blood samples for driving offenses if needed.  Users must have yearly doctors exam or there buyer registation privledges expire.  Employers have the right to check and see if potential or current employees are registered (for safety reasons).

NOW THAT"S CHANGE :yay :yay :yay