World (Vegas) Travel Thread

Started by hbionic, July 25, 2005, 07:23:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

T_Section224

no place too exciting for me.  i spent time in london which was fun, but as rjs mentioned, overpriced.  really did have a nice time though.  also did two trips to ireland, both were awesome, really can't wait to get back over there.  also went to st. lucia for our honeymoon.  had a great time there, but aside from the all-inclusive resort and a couple of day trips, didn't see too much of the island.  i'd like to hit germany as soon as my son is old enough to be left with the inlaws or my parents.
Proud Sponsor of Mike Bartrum

PhillyPhanInDC

I spent about three years overseas in the military. Stationed on mainland Japan, not dirthole Okinawa. I  did alot of deployemnts in Guam, Thailand, Phillipines, Singapore, Hawaii, all over. Almost anywhere in Asia you can't go wrong....except Vietnam.....farging commies. Most of these places on cheap, except the airfare, there is tons to do (not just girls!), it is easy to get around, and the people are generally very friendly towards Americans.
"The very existence of flamethrowers proves that some time, somewhere, someone said to themselves, "You know, I want to set those people over there on fire, but I'm just not close enough to get the job done.""  R.I.P George.

Zanshin

Regarding Costa Rica:  A friend of mine went there about 10 years ago and liked it, but it was a little rough around the edges, and there was some trouble for tourists if you ventured too far from wherever you were based.  I think it's been built up quite a bit since then, though.

PhillyGirl

Bahamas and Jamaica as a kid (yes, Jamaica is a complete dump).

Mexico a few times in HS and college (Acapulco)

Aruba twice as an adult.

Boring, I know. Next real vacation (way down the road) is Ireland.
"Oh, yeah. They'll still boo. They have to. They're born to boo. Just now, they'll only boo with two Os instead of like four." - Larry Andersen

Rome

Quote from: PhillyGirl on July 26, 2005, 09:02:47 AM

My family is going there next July.  I have family in Cork that I've never met and my wife has college friends who emigrated to Dublin in the early 1980's we'll be visiting.

Can't wait.

T_Section224

i can give you guys a great itinerary for ireland.  first time i started in dublin and did a pub tour of the country, the second time we started in shannon and saw some sites along the way in between the pubs.  cork is pretty cool, but nothing like dublin.  when you do the ring of kerry make sure to go to the gap of dunloe, that's where me and the mrs. got engaged.  i would have popped the question when we were in galway, but as we were sitting on the rocks by the water a rat stuck his head out.  just about the time i had my hand on the ring in my pocket my wife saw it, screamed bloody murder, and used me to push herself away from the water.  almost pushed me in too, lol.

PhillyGirl

So I have this feeling that our trip to Ireland will end up being a pub to pub trip...instead of a city/town to city/town trip? :-D
"Oh, yeah. They'll still boo. They have to. They're born to boo. Just now, they'll only boo with two Os instead of like four." - Larry Andersen

Sgt PSN

Quote from: PhillyGirl on July 26, 2005, 09:22:24 AM
So I have this feeling that our trip to Ireland will end up being a pub to pub trip...instead of a city/town to city/town trip? :-D

Hello?  It's Ireland. 

rjs246

So I have this feeling that our trip to Ireland will end up being a pub to pub trip..

That's the only way to travel. You get to meet the people instead of just being stupid touristy jerks snapping pictures of buildings and other bullshtein.
Is rjs gonna have to choke a bitch?

Let them eat bootstraps.

T_Section224

:-D

my first time was literally spent driving to a town, finding a B&B, then hitting every bar in the area.  the second time was site seeing during the day, finding a B&B, then hitting every bar in the area.  doesn't seem like a huge difference, but starting the day off with an irish fry and pints of guinness or just starting off with the irish fry means a lot.

Seabiscuit36

Quote from: jerome99RIP on July 26, 2005, 09:05:46 AM
Quote from: PhillyGirl on July 26, 2005, 09:02:47 AM

My family is going there next July.  I have family in Cork that I've never met and my wife has college friends who emigrated to Dublin in the early 1980's we'll be visiting.

Can't wait.

I have family also in Cork(ive never met em but plan to someday)  From what i've heard over the years they own a Pub in Cork.  My grandmother went to Ireland every year up until she wasnt healthy enough to go anymore.  I just have to convince my better half to go now.
"For all the civic slurs, for all the unsavory things said of the Philadelphia fans, also say this: They could teach loyalty to a dog. Their capacity for pain is without limit." -Bill Lyons

Rome

The Mrs. got an e-mail from a girlfriend of hers in Ireland just the other day.  I think that put her over the top in terms of actually spending the money to go there.  I've been after her for years to go but since she's been there already, she had other places she'd rather visit instead.

Wingspan

i am just getting my traveler legs under me. here's where i have been for non-business reasons.

spent 6 days in toronto. loads of fun.

drove from philly to vegas stopping in a ton of places, met some very interesting people

10 days in cancun. if you go to cancun, go in their offseason, the weather is still beautiful, and the people are nice, and try to experience some of the surround cities instead of just sitting on the beach.

last fall spent 10 days in spain. Madrid is now one of my favorite cities in the world. barcelona was nice to see, but too touristy. the costa del sol is beautiful.
Connection Problems

Sorry, SMF was unable to connect to the database. This may be caused by the server being busy. Please try again later.

Wingspan

Quote from: rjs246 on July 26, 2005, 09:30:11 AM
So I have this feeling that our trip to Ireland will end up being a pub to pub trip..

That's the only way to travel. You get to meet the people instead of just being stupid touristy jerks snapping pictures of buildings and other bullshtein.

totally agree.

do some touristy stuff. but dont make that the whole trip. experiencing the life is the way to go.
Connection Problems

Sorry, SMF was unable to connect to the database. This may be caused by the server being busy. Please try again later.

BigEd76

There's 4 things in Ireland:

beer
buildings made of stone
moss
boiled food