Anyone seen a good movie lately?

Started by henchmanUK, December 09, 2004, 11:44:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tomahawk

Bradlee was the definitive Bradlee; Robards got it all wrong

ice grillin you

Quote from: AO1 on January 15, 2018, 07:49:23 PM
You typically can't stand Hanks? I'm sure the naysayers will be along shortly to disagree with me but what is there to dislike about Hanks? I'm pretty cynical but I struggle big time to find anything negative about him as an actor or a person.

theres literally nothing wrong with tom hanks...hes on the short list of greatest actors ever and seems like literalyl the nicest oprson on earth...to top it off hes a monster springsteen fan..the only two things he has ever done wrong in his life is joe the volcano and giving life to that douchebag wanna be rapper son of his

Quote from: Rome on January 15, 2018, 07:07:14 PM
Quote from: ice grillin you on January 15, 2018, 03:00:45 PM
the post - spielberg at his best as a powerful story teller....hanks and streep in the zone along with a great cast...and a movie that will shake more patriotism out of you than all the anthems youve ever stood for combined..only minor complaint is that it gets a tad heavy handed at times...but it is super timely and i understand why they did some of what they did...yay newspapers and farg donald trump

10/10

Saw it this afternoon.  Holy shtein it was fantastic.  Meryl Streep was amazing but Bob Odenkirk was the best performance.  I typically can't stand Hanks and even he was tolerable as Bradlee. 

The guy from The Americans killed it as Daniel Ellsberg. 

A+ is every respect. 

i was extremely skeptical about hanks as bradlee...obviously not because he couldnt act the part but because robards was ben bradlee...i thought it would be like someone trying to be the joker again after ledger....its impossible...i thought hanks did just enough to make it passable...of course he didnt look like him even a little bit but he pulled off his persona pretty well

speaking of bradlee if you havent seen it i highly suggest the hbo doc on him...did a great job showing how ben bradlee probably lived the best life anyone ever has
i can take a phrase thats rarely heard...flip it....now its a daily word

igy gettin it done like warrick

im the board pharmacist....always one step above yous

SD

War for the Planet of the Apes wasn't bad. If you were a fan of the first two you'll like it, if you didn't like the first two you won't. Nice wrap up to this trilogy and a sequel will definitely follow considering who Caesar's son is.

Rome

Quote from: Tomahawk on January 15, 2018, 11:42:53 PM
Bradlee was the definitive Bradlee; Robards got it all wrong

You shut your filthy whore mouth, you. 

And IGY is right about the hbo doc.  Fantastic piece. 

ice grillin you

Best picture
Call Me By Your Name
Darkest Hour
Dunkirk
Get Out
Lady Bird
Phantom Thread
The Post
The Shape Of Water
Three Billboards Outside Ebbing, Missouri

Directing
Christopher Nolan (Dunkirk)
Jordan Peele (Get Out)
Greta Gerwig (Lady Bird)
Paul Thomas Anderson (Phantom Thread)
Guillermo Del Toro (The Shape Of Water)

Actress in a leading role
Sally Hawkins (The Shape Of Water)
Frances McDormand (Three Billboards Outside Ebbing, Missouri)
Margot Robbie (I, Tonya)
Saoirse Ronan (Lady Bird)
Meryl Streep (The Post)

Actor in a leading role
Timothée Chalamet (Call Me By Your Name)
Daniel Day-Lewis (Phantom Thread)
Daniel Kaluuya (Get Out)
Gary Oldman (Darkest Hour)
Denzel Washington (Roman J. Israel, Esq.)

Writing (original screenplay)
Emily V. Gordon and Kumail Nanjiani (The Big Sick)
Jordan Peele (Get Out)
Greta Gerwig (Lady Bird)
Guillermo Del Toro and Vanessa Taylor; story by Guillermo Del Toro (The Shape Of Water)
Martin McDonagh (Three Billboards Outside Ebbing, Missouri)

Writing (adapted screenplay)
James Ivory (Call Me By Your Name)
Scott Neustadter and Michael H. Weber (The Disaster Artist)
Scott Frank, James Mangold and Michael Green; story by James Mangold (Logan)
Aaron Sorkin (Molly's Game)
Virgil Williams and Dee Rees (Mudbound)

Animated feature film
The Boss Baby
The Breadwinner
Coco
Ferdinand
Loving Vincent

Actor in a supporting role
Willem Dafoe (The Florida Project)
Woody Harrelson (Three Billboards Outside Ebbing, Missouri)
Richard Jenkins (The Shape Of Water)
Christopher Plummer (All The Money In The World)
Sam Rockwell (Three Billboards Outside Ebbing, Missouri)

Actress in a supporting role
Mary J. Blige (Mudbound)
Allison Janney (I, Tonya)
Lesley Manville (Phantom Thread)
Laurie Metcalf (Lady Bird)
Octavia Spencer (The Shape Of Water)

MDS

the post - i love tom hanks. there i said it. much like lincoln, spielberg took the lead(s) and put tons of tv stars around them. had no idea bob odenkirk and david cross were in this, had scenes together and talked to each other. amazing. nora durst was there. the dude from the americans. bruce greenwood. brad whitford. sara paulson. allison not as hot as she used to brie. oh and meryl streep of course killed. it was a little corny, but that message is needed now more than ever. 4/5
Zero hour, Michael. It's the end of the line. I'm the firstborn. I'm sick of playing second fiddle. I'm always third in line for everything. I'm tired of finishing fourth. Being the fifth wheel. There are six things I'm mad about, and I'm taking over.

ice grillin you

how do you mention everyone in the movie and leave out rhonda pearlman

sacrilege

MDS

i didnt even notice her until i read up on imdb

who did she play
Zero hour, Michael. It's the end of the line. I'm the firstborn. I'm sick of playing second fiddle. I'm always third in line for everything. I'm tired of finishing fourth. Being the fifth wheel. There are six things I'm mad about, and I'm taking over.

ice grillin you

MDS

i recognized o dog, who had like 5 scenes, in 3 billboards and i didnt see that

jesus

General_Failure

Proud Mary was pretty good action movie. It sets itself up to go just about the way you expect it will, if not entirely the way you'd think. It does just enough world building to do what they need to do, and honestly they probably could have done a little more there.The action parts weren't all 3 second shots stapled together, which is a nice change from 90% of movie fight scenes. It isn't John Wick, but it sure isn't garbage either.

The only complaint I really had was Donny Glover seemed to phone it in. On the other hand, I've seen Predator 2. Maybe he didn't phone it in and he's just not a very good actor. Either way, he didn't ruin the movie but he didn't do a whole lot to help it.

The man. The myth. The legend.

Eagles_Legendz

Lady Bird was fine. Not bad but not Oscar worthy. 

One day I'll see a HS story which doesn't have the plot of girl ditches nerdy friend to experiment with hanging out with the cool kids only to find out they're iceholes and it's necessary to reunite with her friend again. 

ice grillin you

I'm usually with legendz on most things but man this might be his worst take ever

Eagles_Legendz

I wanted to love it.  One of my best friends from college told me he cried after and he and I tend to share movie takes.  Also saw you gave it a great review.  I liked it, it just didn't blow me away.  Acting was good.  Particularly thought Tracy Letts was good.

It was in Edge of Seventeen territory for me (though I probably liked that a little more).

Next - Shape of Water, Molly's Game.

ice grillin you

it doesnt effect me cause i have movie pass but my local theater is having all 9 nominees last week of feb for 35 bucks total

pretty dope

i still need to see shape of water phantom thread call me by my name and dunkirk