Science 'n Shtein

Started by hbionic, August 23, 2011, 02:37:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Munson

Quote from: ice grillin you on April 01, 2008, 05:10:48 PM
perhaps you could explain sd's reasons for "disliking" it as well since you seem to be so in tune with other peoples minds

Sgt PSN

If dead HIV cells can fight cancer then imagine how much cancer ass live HIV could kick.  Cancer patients could just bang out a few Peruvian hookers and be fine. 

General_Failure

The man. The myth. The legend.

General_Failure

Quote from: General_Failure on October 15, 2012, 02:21:14 PM
Physicists smoke a ton of weed, attempt to prove the universe is a computer simulation

QuoteTechnology Review explains that "the problem with all simulations is that the laws of physics, which appear continuous, have to be superimposed onto a discrete three dimensional lattice which advances in steps of time."

What that basically means is that by just being a simulation, the computer would put limits on, for instance, the energy that particles can have within the program.

These limits would be experienced by those living within the sim - and as it turns out, something which looks just like these limits do in fact exist.

For instance, something known as the Greisen-Zatsepin-Kuzmin, or GZK cut off, is an apparent boundary of the energy that cosmic ray particles can have. This is caused by interaction with cosmic background radiation. But Beane and co's paper argues that the pattern of this rule mirrors what you might expect from a computer simulation.

Naturally, at this point the science becomes pretty tricky to wade through - and we would advise you read the paper itself to try and get the full detail of the idea.

Physicists smoke more weed, test if universe is a simulation.

QuoteEssentially, Savage said that computers used to build simulations perform "lattice quantum chromodynamics calculations" - dividing space into a four-dimensional grid. Doing so allows researchers to examine the force which binds subatomic particles together into neutrons and protons - but it also allows things to happen in the simulation, including the development of complex physical "signatures", that researchers don't program directly into the computer. In looking for these signatures, such as limitations on the energy held by cosmic rays, they hope to find similarities within our own universe.

And if such signatures do appear in both? Boot up, baby. We're inside a computer. (Maybe).

"If you make the simulations big enough, something like our universe should emerge," Savage told the University of Washington news service.

General_Failure

Primate species: new slow loris found in Borneo

QuoteA new species of small nocturnal primate has been discovered by scientists in Borneo.

The primate is a type of slow loris, a small cute-looking animal that is more closely related to bushbabies and lemurs than to monkeys or apes.

Uniquely among primates, they have a toxic bite, belying their appearance.

General_Failure

In the Flesh: The Embedded Dangers of Untested Stem Cell Cosmetics

QuoteWhen cosmetic surgeon Allan Wu first heard the woman's complaint, he wondered if she was imagining things or making it up. A resident of Los Angeles in her late sixties, she explained that she could not open her right eye without considerable pain and that every time she forced it open, she heard a strange click—a sharp sound, like a tiny castanet snapping shut. After examining her in person at The Morrow Institute in Rancho Mirage, Calif., Wu could see that something was wrong: Her eyelid drooped stubbornly, and the area around her eye was somewhat swollen. Six and a half hours of surgery later, he and his colleagues had dug out small chunks of bone from the woman's eyelid and tissue surrounding her eye, which was scratched but largely intact. The clicks she heard were the bone fragments grinding against one another.

PhillyPhreak54

Click-clack!

Under Armour should be all over this broad

General_Failure

A biologist working in the Peruvian rainforest has stumbled upon the first evidence of a tiny spider with a deadly clever game: constructing its own decoy.

QuoteConstructing a decoy many times its size, the spider can lure a substantial meal into its web or scare off smaller attackers it doesn't want to tussle with.

The decoy is painstakingly pieced together from twigs, leaves, uneaten parts of other insects and rain forest mulch, Torres said.

As he approached the web, he saw what he thought was a dead spider. Then it started to move. Inching closer, he spotted "this little guy going like crazy" in one corner, jiggling the web to animate its decoy and fool its prey.

PhillyPhreak54

Cool yet disgusting.

lol at one of the comments that says the spider is smarter than the average republican

General_Failure

Come on now, politicians all know about straw men and pulling strings.

General_Failure

hbionic

I said watch the game and you will see my spirit manifest.-ILLEAGLE 02/04/05

Sgt PSN

Munson

Science is "fanny central" according to a guy named Cox

QuoteProfessor Cox said: "The amount of fanny I'm getting is mental.

"And I say that as someone who's used to thinking of things on a quantum scale. Seriously, I'm quite at home with the vastness of the universe, time, space etc. but if I start thinking about the sheer volume of hairy pie I'm tucking into, it properly does my head in"
Quote from: ice grillin you on April 01, 2008, 05:10:48 PM
perhaps you could explain sd's reasons for "disliking" it as well since you seem to be so in tune with other peoples minds