Which ended worse?

Started by SD, January 12, 2011, 03:57:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Which Philly sports teams season was most painful for you?

Flyers- Leighton lets up a softy - Hawks win the Cup
2 (14.3%)
Phillies - Howard stands like a statue as strike 3 is called, Giants go on to win the World Series
10 (71.4%)
Eagles- Vick throws an awful TD pass
2 (14.3%)

Total Members Voted: 14

SD

Here's the way I look at it:
The Flyers overachieved. Sure they're great now but they had a coach that took over midseason and barely snuck into the playoffs. Would have been great if the had won. The way it all ended was just so anti-climatic.

Phillies had the highest expectations from the fans. Howard caught looking while freak boy Wilson does his stupid pose.

People had low expectations for the Eagles this season. They were exciting but fans knew they had too many holes to make a serious run. Still, the NFC isn't exactly loaded with talent so making it to the Superbowl was not out of the realm of thought. The Vick INT was a horrible decision and pass.

ice grillin you

good poll

1. flyers by far...it was in game six of a final...period end of story

2. the howard play was infuriating as an individual act but as a team end of the season loss i got over it relatively quickly since the phillies werent going anywhere anyway...in a way i was kinda even relieved so i didnt have to watch their god awful pathetic at bats any more

3. i had the eagles missing the playoffs and knew they were gonna lose to gb so in terms of major loss it was a blip on the radar...now has they beaten gb and lost that way the next week i would still be shaking mad right now
i can take a phrase thats rarely heard...flip it....now its a daily word

igy gettin it done like warrick

im the board pharmacist....always one step above yous

Munson

I was going to vote for the Flyers, but then I realized that they shouldn't have even been there in the first place. That post season run was such an awesome ride, and despite the total letdown that was that last goal, that was one of the few cases where I was happy that they were even there.

I went with the Phils because they were supposed to be the favorites and they choked hard to a team of misfits and journeymen. That season shouldn't have ended there and it still disgusts me to think about.
Quote from: ice grillin you on April 01, 2008, 05:10:48 PM
perhaps you could explain sd's reasons for "disliking" it as well since you seem to be so in tune with other peoples minds

Sgt PSN

Phillies, then Flyers, then Eagles.

Of the 3 teams, the Phillies are the only team that didn't live up to pre-season expectations.  The expectations were there the minute that they lost to the Yanks in 09 that they would get back to the series in 2010.  These expectations only went up after getting Doc and then Oswalt at the deadline.  This was a team that won more games than any other team in baseball and they had the eventual Cy Young winner at the top of their rotation.  And then to lose a called strike 3 by one of the franchise players was just devastating. 

I listed the Flyers 2nd though because (even though I'm not a hockey guy), they not only made it to the finals, but the way they came back against Boston was historical.  This was a middle of the pack team that no one gave any serious consideration to in preseason or at the start of the postseason.  How could anyone who is a fan of Philly sports not get tied up by that run last year? 

Eagles come in last because even though they exceeded most expectations this year, they didn't dramatically exceed them.  On average, most people were thinking this was an 8-8 type season,9-7 at best.  So they only won 1-2 more games than expected and in the the difference between a W and L can often be a freak play (Giants game(s) for example).  Had the Eagles made it to the NFCCG or even the Super Bowl and then lost, I'd definitely have them ranked above the Flyers.  But losing a WC game while going for the g/w TD against a team they weren't supposed to beat anyway isn't all that painful.     

PoopyfaceMcGee

Howard was the most painful.  Didn't think the Eagles could beat the Patriots anyway, but I really thought the Phillies would have taken down the Rangers.

General_Failure

I don't give a shtein about, and did not watch two of those, so my vote is pretty easy to spot.

The man. The myth. The legend.

Tomahawk

Same here...the Phillies and Flyers can go farg each other

Munson

I think Fred Phelps would have fun protesting that
perhaps you could explain sd's reasons for "disliking" it as well since you seem to be so in tune with other peoples minds

Rome

I still haven't gotten over the sight of Patrick Kane cartwheeling like a flag down the ice towards his goalie after he scored that shtein ass goal.

I didn't think the Eagles had a shot in the playoffs because their defense was garbage, and although I'm sick of them, it's more because of a decade of failure, not one ill-advised pass.

The Phillies loss was the worst for me.  Them losing to the Giants wasn't even a possibility in my mind going in, and for them to lose in six, at home, after having Oswalt on the mound, is the worst loss in recent memory.

QB Eagles

Phillies were the most painful, even if I didn't see them doing too much even if they won that game. But a motherfarging called strike on one of baseball's great sluggers? Come the farg on. Go down swinging at least. The year could have been their opportunity to mint a new dynasty but instead it was a goddamn embarrassment against a Giants team that was there for the taking.

Eagles and Flyers both had amazing stories going (the comeback and Vick's return) and would have gone down in sports lore had the Philly team been crowned champion. But the Flyers at least kept me entertained with their storybook playoff run, and I never really believed in the Eagles this season.

MDS

lol hockey? you guys are terrible

phillies as one of the worst moments in the history of philly sports

eagles was awful and just another depressing moment in the andy reid era. simply a new chapter of the seemingly never ending ongoing disappointment.

no. 3 on this list should be either the moment temple drew cornell in the ncaa tourney or the sixers falling short of j wall in the lotto
Zero hour, Michael. It's the end of the line. I'm the firstborn. I'm sick of playing second fiddle. I'm always third in line for everything. I'm tired of finishing fourth. Being the fifth wheel. There are six things I'm mad about, and I'm taking over.

Munson

Sixers/NBA/Temple are all farging terrible.

Flyers are awesome.

Shut up.

ice grillin you

unless you just dont care about the flyers or like the phillies A LOT more i dont see how anyone can put howards at bat ahead of leightons goal

choke was in game six of a 'conf' final where they just gave up a horrendous late run to go down in the game

leightons was in game six of the league final and came right after the flyers scored an amazing last minute goal to tie the game which sent the building shaking and had pretty much every flyer fan thinking they were going back to chicago for game seven

yeah choke was caught looking...but that atrocity over shadows the fact that no one thought he was going to get a hit anyway

basically imagine if the phillies were playing the yankees in game six of the world series and jimmy rollins just hit a game tying homer in the top of the ninth to tie game six up...then in the bottom of the ninth the yanks have two out and a man on third and ibanez drops a easy pop fly to let the world series winning run trot home
i can take a phrase thats rarely heard...flip it....now its a daily word

igy gettin it done like warrick

im the board pharmacist....always one step above yous

charlie

I think the question was "what was more painful for you?" not "what would igy say is the most painful?"

rjs246

This poll is more painful than anything listed in this poll.
Is rjs gonna have to choke a bitch?

Let them eat bootstraps.