Nick Foles, Philadelphia Eagle

Started by PhillyPhreak54, April 27, 2012, 10:38:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Zanshin

Pretty amazing, all things considered. Hated watching Vick anyway, so this was icing on the cake.

NC_Eagle

Not sure what to make of Nick. Not the optimum QB for Chip's ideal offense, but he's still only a 2nd year player, who's been putting up consistently good numbers and doesn't give up the ball much at all. And the 7 TDs...what's up with that.

Probably not going to be here for long, but in the right system ('West Coast' short/medium dink and dunk) I think he can have some success.
Three things can happen when you throw the ball, and two of them are bad.

Eagaholic

going into yesterday Nick had the highest QB rating and was putting a up better TD to pass ratio than Payton. You obviously at this point have to keep him as the QB of the future. No way I'd trade him for the #1 pick this year.

BigEd76

He created a new Twitter handle an hour ago (NFoles_9) and already has 20,000 followers

NC_Eagle

Saw a clip of Eric Allen saying that he put Foles as his #2 MVP pick behind Payton. Not biased at all I'm sure.  :paranoid

They also put up a graphic that said when the Cowboys rushed more than 5 players yesterday Foles passed for 81%. That doesn't seem right?

General_Failure

He got bailed out on some really awful passes, so sure. Why not. Next week we'll just say he threw for 500 and ran for 250 against the Saints.

The man. The myth. The legend.

Don Ho

Quote from: NC_Eagle on December 31, 2013, 12:25:27 AM
They also put up a graphic that said when the Cowboys rushed more than 5 players yesterday Foles passed for 81%. That doesn't seem right?

Really?  Wow.  Seemed like he was constantly under pressure - both from the pass rush and his inability to get rid of the football. 
"Well where does Jack Lord live, or Don Ho?  That's got to be a nice neighborhood"  Jack Singer(Nicholas Cage) in Honeymoon in Vegas.

shorebird

??? I can't believe that.

As far as not getting rid of the ball fast enough, that's the first time I've seen that. I couldn't see on tv, were the receivers covered or was he just not seeing them because he was running for his life?

phillycrew

Quote from: shorebird on December 31, 2013, 07:58:10 AM

As far as not getting rid of the ball fast enough, that's the first time I've seen that. I couldn't see on tv, were the receivers covered or was he just not seeing them because he was running for his life?
Receivers were covered.  There was one time he rolled right and DeSean had motioned to the left and he missed seeing it.  It would have been an across the body throw going the opposite way so I'm not sure the coaches would have wanted him trying that kind of throw.  Anyone else surprised that they are bringing Brad Smith out for the trick plays and not using Vick?

Diomedes

Why risk Vick's health?  You're gonna need him if Foles gets hurt.  Smith has been a nice addition, hasn't he?
There is considerable overlap between the intelligence of the smartest bears and the dumbest tourists." - Yosemite Park Ranger

ice grillin you

Quote from: phillycrew on December 31, 2013, 08:23:55 AM
Quote from: shorebird on December 31, 2013, 07:58:10 AM

Receivers were covered.  There was one time he rolled right and DeSean had motioned to the left and he missed seeing it.  It would have been an across the body throw going the opposite way so I'm not sure the coaches would have wanted him trying that kind of throw.  Anyone else surprised that they are bringing Brad Smith out for the trick plays and not using Vick?

not true....i watched the all 12 and people were open a lot....especially the te's...now it definitely wasnt all foles fault but clearly he was very hesistant from the start and had trouble with getting rid of the ball on quick drops all night....

now when he had time and when he moved the pocket he was incredibly accurate....the most impressive thing for me was his ability to use his feet to buy some time to let guys get open and also to acquire better throwing angles....he obviously didnt have quick or scrambling feet but he had very intelligent feet
i can take a phrase thats rarely heard...flip it....now its a daily word

igy gettin it done like warrick

im the board pharmacist....always one step above yous

Diomedes

From the beginning he's been able to step forward into the pocket, or shift laterally just a step or two, while keeping his eyes downfield.  It helps to be 6'6".  It also helps to not be able to dazzle by scrambling; Vick and others can't stick in the pocket because they can run--or they think they can--so they bail too soon and in the long run, that doesn't work in the NFL.
There is considerable overlap between the intelligence of the smartest bears and the dumbest tourists." - Yosemite Park Ranger

Sgt PSN

Foles does seem to buckle a bit when the defense gets quick pressure.  But a lot of QBs do. He's about 16 starts under his belt now so you can only hope that moving forward he's going to learn to adjust to it and make some better presnap reads and audibles.

The difference between Foles on Sunday and Foles vs Dallas in Oct, IMO, is that Foles was thrown completely off his game by pressure in the 1st game and was missing everything, even when he had time to throw. This time, he still got flustered by pressure but would shake it off and get the ball to the open man on the next. 

NC_Eagle

Found the Foles clip on ESPN: //espn.go.com/video/clip?id=10217852  "MVP Watch: Week 17"

MVP Watch: Week 17

Can't get the URL to work...

Diomedes

my browser is broke

OR

you suck at links