NFL Combine '06 and Pro Days

Started by MURP, February 02, 2006, 01:47:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

General_Failure

You've been around long enough, I've managed to pick up some of your Jackassese.

The man. The myth. The legend.

rjs246

Quote from: General_Failure on February 24, 2006, 08:38:58 PM
Aha! So you already know deep down that we're not getting a single receiver this offseason. Drink yourself to oblivion now, you're going to need it.

And yes, I have just about resigned myself to them not upgrading WR. They won't and probably shouldn't pay too much for Randal El and it seems like a pipe dream to get Moulds on a short term contract so its looking like Pinkston and Brown. Gross.
Is rjs gonna have to choke a bitch?

Let them eat bootstraps.

Feva

Tell me I didn't just see that sumbag Sean representing us on that NFL Network commercial. :boo
"Now I'm completing up the other half of that triangle" - Emmitt Smith on joining Troy Aikman and Michael Irvin in the Hall of Fame

"If you have sex with a prostitute against her will, is that considered rape or shoplifting?" -- 2 Live Stews

PhillyPhanInDC

DraftDaddy:
While hundreds of former college football players would give anything for a shot to workout at the Combine in front of all 32 teams, Penn State quarterback/wide receiver Michael Robinson has informed NFL teams he won't workout.

Boo!  :boo

NFL.com:
Gil Brandt
NFL.com Senior Analyst

INDIANAPOLIS (Feb. 25, 2006) -- On Friday, 76 players were scheduled and all 76 reported. For the first three days of the Combine there have been no dropouts, cancellations or illnesses. That makes 234 out of 234.

Hall of Famer and Ravens GM Ozzie Newsome took Falcons GM Rich McKay's place at the welcome dinner. Newsome's presentation to the players was taped and will be available to watch on NFL Network.

D'Brickashaw Ferguson might have set the trend by dressing well, but Jonathan Scott of Texas also showed up at the interviews in a suit and tie.

The activity is getting more strenuous because the three groups of player are now overlapping with the field drills, weight room workouts and interviews.

Today, starting at 9 a.m., the offensive linemen started to work out. There were two groups -- the first group had 28 players and of them 23 ran. One was medically excused. In the second group, there were 25 players and 21 of them ran. Three were medically excused. We were almost perfect on the second group.

Fast times at RCA Dome

There were really good times. In the first group, of offensive linemen Chris Chester from Oklahoma, who is a multiple position guy (all along the line and tight end), ran the 40 in 4.84 seconds while listed at 6-3 3/8 and 303 pounds. Nick Mangold, a center from Ohio State -- 6-3 5/8, 300 -- ran his 40 in 5.03.

In the second group, Eric Winston of Miami (Fla.) had best time of 4.93. He is listed at 6-6 5/8 and 310 pounds. Guy Whimper from East Carolina -- 6-4¾, 304 -- was under five seconds flat. Pat Ross, 6-3½, 301, a center from Boston College, ran it in 4.96.

In the second group there wasn't a single under guy 300 pounds. The first group had three players that were under 300 pounds, the lightest being Greg Eslinger of Minnesota at 292.

The running backs also finished up their field drills. Fifteen were scheduled, but Reggie Bush had a previous engagement and couldn't make it. Of the remaining 14 players, 13 of them ran and Ryan Gilbert of Houston was medically excused. Joseph Addai of LSU was fast at 4.37 in the 40; Maurice Drew of UCLA ran 4.43; Andre Hall of South Florida ran 4.43. Even Matt Bernstein of Wisconsin at 260 pounds ran his 40 in 4.89. There were some good times put in. That concludes today's workouts.

Long and short of it

Defensive linemen

Tallest: Jason Hatcher, Grambling, 6-foot-5 7/8
Shortest: Elvis Dumervil, Louisville, 5-11 3/8
Heaviest: Johnny Jolley, Texas A&M, 317 pounds
Lightest: Charlton Keith, Kansas State, 237 pounds

Tight ends

Tallest: Leonard Pope, Georgia, 6-foot-7¾
Shortest: Tony Scheffler, Western Michigan, 6-foot 3/8
Heaviest: T.J. Williams, North Carolina, 269 pounds
Lightest: Garrett Mills, Tulsa, 241 pounds

The place to be

The media swarm can feel like the Super Bowl, as Marcus Vick found out.     
The most popular place in town has become the Reebok room. Last night there were over 100 players in there and NFL Network did something on Quinton Porter of Boston College and Matt Leinart of USC. The one thing that makes it so exciting is that every player has an authentic Reebok football with their name stamped on it. With the offensive linemen being the first group to start out of town, some of them will probably charged at the airport for excess baggage due to all the goodies.

The NFL has a media room is which there are 20 television stations present at one times and 100 times. Over the first two days, at least 75 players have been interviewed by stations from 25 states and Mexico. Many representatives of the teams' official web sites are here to get content for their fans.

Heavy lifting
Quarterback Jay Cutler from Vanderbilt is quite strong. He threw the bar up 23 times. I believe this is the most a quarterback has lifted at the Combine. That is extraordinary. QB lifting is strictly optional

I'd flip if the 'Birds snagged Bernstien in the draft. He's like having a speedy guard line up in the backfield all the time. Can't catch worth a shtein, but he absolutely destroys DE's and LBs. He also has decent speed and is real good in short yardage. IMO, a big bad FB being drafted/signed would be more proof to me than almost anything else that the coaching staff is going to make a serious effort to revive (create) a running game.
"The very existence of flamethrowers proves that some time, somewhere, someone said to themselves, "You know, I want to set those people over there on fire, but I'm just not close enough to get the job done.""  R.I.P George.

MadMarchHare

Quote from: rjs246 on February 25, 2006, 09:30:33 AM
Quote from: General_Failure on February 24, 2006, 08:38:58 PM
Aha! So you already know deep down that we're not getting a single receiver this offseason. Drink yourself to oblivion now, you're going to need it.

And yes, I have just about resigned myself to them not upgrading WR. They won't and probably shouldn't pay too much for Randal El and it seems like a pipe dream to get Moulds on a short term contract so its looking like Pinkston and Brown. Gross.

Just for PG sake, I'd like to declare, AGAIN, that I called that months ago, and got the first  ::) "what an idiot" comment of the year.  If you're gonna be rude AND cocky, best to be right.
Anyone but Reid.

ice grillin you

VINCE IS STOOPID?

A league source tells us that there's a rumor making the rounds at the combine that Texas quarterback Vince Young scored a miserably horrible six on the Wonderlic test.

A six! That's bad. It's beyond bad. In fact, it's the lowest score that we can ever remember hearing anyone getting.

All incoming NFL players take a 50-question version of the Wonderlic, with a 12-minute window within which to finish it.

We found 15 sample Wonderlic questions on ESPN.com's page 2, including such brain-benders as selecting the ninth month of the year from among five possible choices. We'd like to think that most people of average intelligence could get at least six of the 15 sample questions right.

Getting a total of only six out of a total of 50 questions of that same kind is pa-freakin'-thetic. For a guy who's going to be called upon to read defenses and call audibles and work through a progression of receivers against NFL-caliber opposition, it's downright scary.

The source tells us that he hasn't seen the result in writing yet, but that he's "99 percent" certain that Young's score was six.

Said the source, who knows a thing or two about evaluating college players:

"I predict he'll fall all the way out of the first round."

That's a bold statement, and we're not saying that we agree with it -- primarily because our guess is that there's someone almost dumb enough to get a six on the Wonderlic, who'll overlook Young's low score along with any other concerns that might come to light over the next two months.
i can take a phrase thats rarely heard...flip it....now its a daily word

igy gettin it done like warrick

im the board pharmacist....always one step above yous

PhillyPhanInDC

Not a surpise, a lot of the draft sites I visit are saying the dude's stock is dropping like a rock.
"The very existence of flamethrowers proves that some time, somewhere, someone said to themselves, "You know, I want to set those people over there on fire, but I'm just not close enough to get the job done.""  R.I.P George.

Feva

Drop out of the 1st round?  No way in hell.
"Now I'm completing up the other half of that triangle" - Emmitt Smith on joining Troy Aikman and Michael Irvin in the Hall of Fame

"If you have sex with a prostitute against her will, is that considered rape or shoplifting?" -- 2 Live Stews

PhillyPhanInDC

Probably not drop out of the first round, but I am starting to think Cutler might push right out of the third spot. I think teams are starting to look at the guy as more a project, and if that is the case, a six on the Wonderlic test won't help him much.

Feva

Just wondering, but didn't McNabb get a 12 or something like that on the Wonderlic?  I thought I remembered his being pretty low.

Anyway... everything I've been reading says that Tennessee is still locked in on Young at #3.  I dunno... not that these guys are Gods or anything, but I don't see a lot Young, Bush or Leinart can do (besides gain 50lbs between now and the draft) to fall out of those top 3 spots.

PhillyPhanInDC

I'd say Leinart and Bush are locked in at one and two, but Cutler is making a serious push, just last night the kid put up 225lbs twenty-three times. That's unheard of for a QB. He's looking more and more like the best QB available. I'm betting the Jets wind up having to choose either the Brick or Young. If they go with Ferguson, Young could fall all the way to the Cards with the ten pick.

MadMarchHare

Where the Cards would shoot a truckload of jizz to draft him.
Anyone but Reid.

MURP

Quote from: EagleFeva on February 25, 2006, 07:12:32 PM
Just wondering, but didn't McNabb get a 12 or something like that on the Wonderlic?  I thought I remembered his being pretty low.

yeah. He took it twice, scored a 12 and a 16. 

Dan Marino scored a 14.

Randall scored a 15.

there are a couple great QB's that had bad scores, but not many.

Diomedes

News flash: jocks are dumb.
There is considerable overlap between the intelligence of the smartest bears and the dumbest tourists." - Yosemite Park Ranger

Sgt PSN