Chronic Traumatic Encephalopathy [CTE]

Started by Diomedes, May 02, 2011, 09:57:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Diomedes

There is considerable overlap between the intelligence of the smartest bears and the dumbest tourists." - Yosemite Park Ranger

Diomedes

There is considerable overlap between the intelligence of the smartest bears and the dumbest tourists." - Yosemite Park Ranger

SunMo

it's pretty amazing the amount of people who say "They get paid millions of dollars to play a sport where they crash heads with other players, what do they expect to happen?"

i didn't realize getting paid means you lose the right to have a healthy life after playing
I'm the Anti-Christ. You got me in a vendetta kind of mood.

Sgt PSN

Not to mention that not every player clears $1mil in salary. No idea how accurate this is, but 17 out of 59 players on the Eagles make more than $1mil per year. That's less than 1/3 of the team. Can only assume that's the case league wide and that about 33% of the league are "millionaires."

And when you consider the higher insurance costs, union dues, club dues, etc, the guys making less than $1mil a year are left with a fairly modest (but comfy) chunk of money for house, car, etc.

PoopyfaceMcGee

Until players are all wearing helmets that are soft on the inside and outside, I won't believe that the NFL gives a shtein about any of this.

SD

Quote from: SunMo on January 23, 2013, 08:44:10 AM
it's pretty amazing the amount of people who say "They get paid millions of dollars to play a sport where they crash heads with other players, what do they expect to happen?"

i didn't realize getting paid means you lose the right to have a healthy life after playing

They're not being forced to play football, it's their choice to walk away at any time.

PhillyPhreak54

Yeah I'm in that camp as well. No on forces them and the injury histories of ex players are well documented. No gun to their heads.

The NFL and NFLPA do need to increase the retirement benefits and health care though

Diomedes

There are a lot of people who played football for a long time and never got paid a dime for it. 

Knowing this much already, are you going to let your kid play football? 

PhillyPhreak54

Diomedes

That makes one of us.

I hope your kid doesn't want to, but if he does, I hope he's not one of the ones that gets hurt.

SunMo

Quote from: PhillyPhreak54 on January 23, 2013, 09:44:56 PM
Yeah I'm in that camp as well. No on forces them and the injury histories of ex players are well documented. No gun to their heads.

The NFL and NFLPA do need to increase the retirement benefits and health care though

no because they aren't forced to play that means they deserve to have alzhiemers when they are 40? 

PhillyPhreak54

Quote from: SunMo on January 24, 2013, 08:55:19 AM
Quote from: PhillyPhreak54 on January 23, 2013, 09:44:56 PM

no because they aren't forced to play that means they deserve to have alzhiemers when they are 40?

Um - ok so how should this be prevented? If they don't want to take that chance then don't play. Unless you know of a way to stop it.

SunMo

first of all don't give an exclusive helmet contract to a company when there is an industry accepted better alternative available.

second of all, GIVE the players the information.  the whole lawsuit is based on the fact that the NFL allegedly hid information about the effects of concussion.

this is where you say "c'mon, they are playing a game where they smash heads with each other, what did they expect to happen?"

Diomedes

I think we're going to learn that the problem is the helmets and gear.  In time I think what we're going to see is that the hard shell helmet and facemask, not to mention other padding, allows our ever stronger and faster athletes to do much greater damage to their brains than would happen without it.  In time, I think we'll see that yes, you can get CTE from rugby and boxing and the like, but that the percentage of players who suffer brain damage is much greater in football and hockey. 

The solution will be simple: to stop using hard shell helmets, facemasks and body armor.  The game will change, but not much.  You can still have a wicked violent football game without all the gear.  And the result over years will be a decrease in CTE.

SunMo

they could increase the minimum size of shoulder pads to make it harder to go head to head