07/08 Phillies Offseason Thread

Started by MDS, October 07, 2007, 01:02:14 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

MDS

to an extent. you need 1 more bat to complement what you have now. i dont see how you cant go get it, this the prime for rollins, utley and howard. not signing someone now is pointless. you have a 4-5 year window now to win the series with these guys. dont be the eagles.
Zero hour, Michael. It's the end of the line. I'm the firstborn. I'm sick of playing second fiddle. I'm always third in line for everything. I'm tired of finishing fourth. Being the fifth wheel. There are six things I'm mad about, and I'm taking over.

Geowhizzer

Pipe dream galore:  Find a way to trade for Julio Santana.  :drool

ice grillin you

they need no more bats...they need they bats they have to step up in big spots like say in the playoffs...but more than that they need to not have kyle kendrick starting the second game of a playoff series
i can take a phrase thats rarely heard...flip it....now its a daily word

igy gettin it done like warrick

im the board pharmacist....always one step above yous

SunMo

normally i agree they don't need another bat, but 3rd base is such an abyss for them for offensively and defensively and Lowell fills both needs.  he's a right handed bat, which they need, he plays defense, so you won't have replace him late in the game.  he really seems like a perfect fit.

I'm the Anti-Christ. You got me in a vendetta kind of mood.

Geowhizzer

Quote from: SunMo on October 07, 2007, 08:13:24 PM
normally i agree they don't need another bat, but 3rd base is such an abyss for them for offensively and defensively and Lowell fills both needs.  he's a right handed bat, which they need, he plays defense, so you won't have replace him late in the game.  he really seems like a perfect fit.

Yes. Yes.  Yes.  Yes.  And yes.

A-Rod is the better player, but is beyond the Phils' budget (he'll be the Red Sox' replacement for Lowell if he does leave the Yanks).  Lowell will fill the Phils' need offensively and defensively.

The only caveat is that he'll be 34 next season.  Don't want more than a 2-3 year contract.  He'll probably get four, and the Phils will have to take it if they really want him.

ice grillin you

im not saying dont get mike lowell but he wont make one bit of difference in this team....yeah they might score a few more runs but it wouldnt be a tangible difference in wins and losses

they need two quality starters and a real manager and then we can talk postseason wins
i can take a phrase thats rarely heard...flip it....now its a daily word

igy gettin it done like warrick

im the board pharmacist....always one step above yous

Rome

I thought Mike Lowell should have been on this team two years ago (LOL - Check This Thread Out) and still think he'd be an ideal addition to the team.

He's a veteran that would provide a stabilizing force at a position that has been chaotic since Rolen left.  He's a right-handed bat that would further protect Utley or Howard depending on where he would be placed in the lineup, and he's going to be there for the taking if the farging Phillies will simply spend the money to get him.

SD_Eagle5

I could go either way with Lowell, but I wouldn't be upset if they signed him. Would love to see Schilling back for a season. Think a guy like Linebrink in middle relief would be good insurance in case Gordon's arm falls off or Romero was just a fluke.

Any guesses on how much they spend this offseason? My guess is $30 million

Geowhizzer

Quote from: SD_Eagle on October 08, 2007, 08:09:55 AM
I could go either way with Lowell, but I wouldn't be upset if they signed him. Would love to see Schilling back for a season. Think a guy like Linebrink in middle relief would be good insurance in case Gordon's arm falls off or Romero was just a fluke.

Any guesses on how much they spend this offseason? My guess is $30 million

$15.  Not million.  Fifteen bucks.

BigEd76

Radano was on WIP this morning and hinted that Dubee's job is in jeopardy

PoopyfaceMcGee

Wingspan

With the manager not under contract, all of their coaches jobs are in jeopardy.
Connection Problems

Sorry, SMF was unable to connect to the database. This may be caused by the server being busy. Please try again later.

SunMo

just let Charlie shuffle off into the sunset
I'm the Anti-Christ. You got me in a vendetta kind of mood.

Sgt PSN

Quote from: BigEd76 on October 08, 2007, 09:59:12 AM
Radano was on WIP this morning and hinted that Dubee's job is in jeopardy

Yeah, pitching was the issue.  This team has an ERA of around 5.  They gave up 6, 10 and 2.  18 runs in 3 games.  By my math, that's an ERA of 6.00 in the playoffs.  Not much dropoff from the regular season.  Game one was pretty much par for the course, game 2 was bad but let's not forget that was a rookie mid season call up on the hill and game 3 was phenominal. 

Offensivley this team averaged about 6 runs scored per game in the reg season.  They scored 3, 5 and 1.  9 runs in 3 games which comes out to 3 runs per game.  And their team batting average dropped .100.  Plus, they averaged about 8 k's a game. 

Yes.  Clearly pitching was the problem. 

MDS

It's Dubee's fault Mesa, Alfonseca, Eaton and all sucked. And it's his fault 75 year old Moyer was mediocre. Go team.
Zero hour, Michael. It's the end of the line. I'm the firstborn. I'm sick of playing second fiddle. I'm always third in line for everything. I'm tired of finishing fourth. Being the fifth wheel. There are six things I'm mad about, and I'm taking over.