Phillies season 7

Started by MURP, August 14, 2005, 12:05:43 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

SD_Eagle5

Quote from: FFatPatt on August 27, 2005, 04:13:08 PM
Utley is fast becoming my favorite Phillie.

I was watching the Little League WS (Hawaii vs. Vista CA.) and all of the players were sounding off on who their favorite player was. I asked myself the same question and came to the conclusion that it was probably Utley.  :yay

rjs246

Jay Johnstone is my favorite Phillie.
Is rjs gonna have to choke a bitch?

Let them eat bootstraps.

BigEd76

2-0 Snakes on a crappy HR by Alex friggin Cintron.  Lieber sucks.  :P

PhillyGirl

Dude, what a rip off. The Phanatic has been doign the popcorn thing to people since I was a little girl. This clown ripped off the schtick completely.  :boo
"Oh, yeah. They'll still boo. They have to. They're born to boo. Just now, they'll only boo with two Os instead of like four." - Larry Andersen

Don Ho

Quote from: SD_Eagle on August 27, 2005, 04:20:01 PM

I was watching the Little League WS (Hawaii vs. Vista CA.) and all of the players were sounding off on who their favorite player was. I asked myself the same question and came to the conclusion that it was probably Utley.  :yay

Did you see the one kid from Hawaii listed Abreu as his favorite player?  I swear I didn't slip the kid a $25 Dave & Busters game card to say that :sly
"Well where does Jack Lord live, or Don Ho?  That's got to be a nice neighborhood"  Jack Singer(Nicholas Cage) in Honeymoon in Vegas.

QB Eagles

Quote from: MDS on August 27, 2005, 11:53:47 AM
Miguel Cabrera is a horrible defensive outfielder. worse than Abreu, and nobody complains about him because of what he does at the plate.

Well, the Marlins did move him to third base...

SD_Eagle5

Quote from: Don Ho on August 27, 2005, 09:12:33 PM
Quote from: SD_Eagle on August 27, 2005, 04:20:01 PM

Did you see the one kid from Hawaii listed Abreu as his favorite player?  I swear I didn't slip the kid a $25 Dave & Busters game card to say that :sly

There were 2 or 3 kids that said Abreu was their favorite player. Manny Ramirez and Bonds were the other favorites.

Geowhizzer

Quote from: QB Eagles on August 27, 2005, 09:51:11 PM
Quote from: MDS on August 27, 2005, 11:53:47 AM
Miguel Cabrera is a horrible defensive outfielder. worse than Abreu, and nobody complains about him because of what he does at the plate.

Well, the Marlins did move him to third base...

Mike Lowell was making David Bell look like an all-star...  :paranoid

MDS

Wade saved the day and got Michael Tucker from the Giants for Kelvin Picardo, or some 19 year old A pictcher. Totally useless move. We need someone who can play 3rd and that doesn't suck!

Tough game today...Lieber was okay, but you can't let freakin Cintron hit a homer like that. Woulda been nice if the offense showed up. No worries if we win tommorrow...
Zero hour, Michael. It's the end of the line. I'm the firstborn. I'm sick of playing second fiddle. I'm always third in line for everything. I'm tired of finishing fourth. Being the fifth wheel. There are six things I'm mad about, and I'm taking over.

PhillyPhreak54

We got Michael Tucker?!

That isn't a bad move at all, IMO. He will help immensely off the bench. Like you said - he isn't a 3B but he is a good LH to use off the bench and has some pop.

I haven't listened to anything sporst related until now. I chose to sleep and missed the game. Looks like I picked a good game to miss though.

I'm not too worried about today's loss. The Marlins won and they're .5 back in the WC. The Braves won to go back to 3.5 ahead too. But Houston, New York and Washington lost.

Since they have so many games left against FLA & ATL they have time to make up that ground they lost today.

We'll win tomorrow night with Crazy Vicente pitching.

PhillyPhreak54

As for the Abreu thing...

I agree with SunMo about the actual numbers defensively not really meaning much. He catches the stuff hit to him and has a very strong arm. But he does struggle on going back to balls and coming in on the bloopers.

But I will still maintain my stance that he is a very good hitter. Like I said, if you are a .300 hitter in the ML's then you are a good hitter. Abreu hits over .300 consistently and puts up good numbers. Depite the arguments about the "lack of clutch" he still drives in runs, works pitchers very well (he leads the NL in pitches per AB) hits for power and is overall very good with the bat. LIke I said earlier...he doesn't drive in every run out on base for him, but neither does anyone else.

There are a whole lot of other things to blast on this team. Bobby's hitting shouldn't be one of them.

MDS,

I agree with your suggested line-up of:

1. Michaels/Lofton
2. Utley
3. Abreu
4. Burrell
5. Howard
6. Rollins
7. The Bum
8. The other Bum/Pratt

I love Jimmy and while his plate approach drives me fargin nuts, he is what he is. He is a good hitter with RISP and he'd be better suited for the 6th, 7th or 8 hole.

Geowhizzer

Get a quality OPB/Speed guy to play CF and bat leadoff, and I can live with that line-up.  If Lofton could play everyday I'd like it, but Michaels at leadoff gives me the hives.  :paranoid

(Gotta admit, though, looking at the stats, Michaels should bat leadoff ahead of Rollins as well.)

I would rather switch Rollins and Utley.  Rollins is a little better in laying the bat on the ball, and would be better in those situations that require moving the runner.  Utley is a better RBI guy.

One of the main things that I want from our CF/leadoff candidate is NOT TO STRIKE OUT.  Speed is useless if you're not putting the ball in play.  Also, the Phils already have two 100+ strikeout guys, and probably will have a third (Utley) by the end of the season.  Ryan Howard, striking out at his current season rate (61 in 189ABs), would strike out 160+ times over 500 at-bats. That's really my biggest complaint with our current line-up- it strikes out far too often.  That's already a ton of non-productive outs for a lineup to absorb even without David Bell's penchant of double-dipping in the out department.  :boom

I wonder if Lenny Dykstra would consider coming out of retirement?  :sly

Just a tweak to the suggested lineup:

1. Michaels/Lofton
2. Rollins
3. Abreu
4. Burrell
5. Howard
6. Utley
7. Bell
8. The Pitcher/Pratt  :D
9.  Pitcher/Lieberthal

Rome

Geo... Why in God's name would you put Utley in the 6 hole?

:sly

PhillyPhreak54

I think I might be the only one who likes the acquisition of Tucker. I just read the threads on the two Phils MBs and it seems like everyone is crying about this.

OH MY GOD THEY GAVE UP A 19Y/O PITCHER FROM THE MINORS!11

Who, other than really dedicated fans, has ever heard of Kelvin Pichardo? He's not even blowing away the freakin GCL. I heard his last name and all's I could think of was the old dude from back in the 90's named Hipolito Pichardo.

I guess the people like seeing Tomas Perez get baffled by overpowering RHPs? Tucker is going to help off the bench.

We still need a RH corner INF. Get Wes Helms!!

PhillyGirl

Philly fans FIND ways to cry about everything. Its sickening. :boo
"Oh, yeah. They'll still boo. They have to. They're born to boo. Just now, they'll only boo with two Os instead of like four." - Larry Andersen