Phillies season 7

Started by MURP, August 14, 2005, 12:05:43 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

SunMo

Quote from: PhillyPhreak54 on August 27, 2005, 03:03:08 AM
Damn that non-clutch, choking POS Bobby Abreu! :D

Cram it, haters.

MDS, Ugie wasn't used. They brought in Aquilino Lopez. He looked good too. Maybe, just maybe, Wade found a good MR via waivers. I'll reserve judgement for awhile though. I already like him better than Geoff Geary though.
its not hard to get a big hit when you are already winning, not to say it wasn't a big hit, but don't act like he got that when they were losing.
I'm the Anti-Christ. You got me in a vendetta kind of mood.

PhillyPhreak54

Quote from: Sun_Mo on August 27, 2005, 08:51:35 AM

Cram it, haters.

MDS, Ugie wasn't used. They brought in Aquilino Lopez. He looked good too. Maybe, just maybe, Wade found a good MR via waivers. I'll reserve judgement for awhile though. I already like him better than Geoff Geary though.
its not hard to get a big hit when you are already winning, not to say it wasn't a big hit, but don't act like he got that when they were losing.

Still, it was 4-3 in the 7th inning with the bases loaded. If he pops out and the Phils end up blowing it he would've been blasted for not driving in a run or two there.

He's had several big hits in recent weeks. I work with a guy that might as well change his nme to Eskin Jr. and we had a good argument about Bobby A last night. Hopefully he'll get hot like he was in May for the stretch run...

PhillyPhreak54

Quote from: Jerome99RIP on August 27, 2005, 08:46:20 AM
I already like him better than Geoff Geary though.

Yeah but you like Saddam Hussein better than Geoff Geary.

:-D

Excellent win by the Phitins.  I was watching the Eagles and completely forgot about the Phils playing the late game.  Nice surprise to wake up this morning and see that they routed the D-Backs.

:yay

Only 2.5 behind ATL :yay

We have to root for them to win the division. If they win the NL-East and ATL or FLA wins the WC, then the Phils would play the Padres in the 1st round.

If the Phils win the East and Houston wins the WC, the Phils play STL.

If the Phils win the WC and ATL wins the East, the Phils play STL and ATL plays SD.

The Phils somehow beat up on STL though. Rolen is out for the year too.

I just want October baseball here. Nothing better than a chilly October night watching playoff baseball (when the Birds aren't on, that is).

SunMo

Quote from: PhillyPhreak54 on August 27, 2005, 09:00:33 AM

Cram it, haters.

Still, it was 4-3 in the 7th inning with the bases loaded. If he pops out and the Phils end up blowing it he would've been blasted for not driving in a run or two there.

He's had several big hits in recent weeks. I work with a guy that might as well change his nme to Eskin Jr. and we had a good argument about Bobby A last night. Hopefully he'll get hot like he was in May for the stretch run...

and you know that i am one of the biggest ones on the EMB who is hard on Bobby, but you're right, he's played will the past couple weeks.

i just don't like it anybody who tries to support any arguement by pointing to one example.  you have to examine the whole picture.

PhillyPhreak54

Quote from: Sun_Mo on August 27, 2005, 09:05:36 AM
Quote from: PhillyPhreak54 on August 27, 2005, 09:00:33 AM

Cram it, haters.

and you know that i am one of the biggest ones on the EMB who is hard on Bobby, but you're right, he's played will the past couple weeks.

i just don't like it anybody who tries to support any arguement by pointing to one example.  you have to examine the whole picture.

You're right. And one of the reasons I defend him so much and the Phils so much on that MB is because of some of the ignorant shtein people say there who don't know a shred of baseball. I'm not referring to you, but I think you know which guys I'm talking about.

I know he sucks defensively. But I just cannot fathom why the guy gets so much grief in this city. Especially when the team has bums like Lieby and Bell on it. They deserve heat. Abreu isn't above being ripped, but when you're a .300 hitter you're a good ballplayer. He doesn't come through in the clutch everytime, but no one in baseball does. As the cliche goes - its the only sport where you fail 7 out of 10 times and you're good.

I've gone over every Abreu argument over and over before so I won't rehash it here. But I just wish that when he does play well it is acknowledged. I will admit when he stinks but some guys harp on him incessantly and it drives me nuts.

I guess the thing that bothers me is that while the Phils are inconsistent, they are far from terrible. Colorado, Kansas City and Tampa Bay are terrible teams. The Phils are right in the thick of it. And despite a lot of folks saying how much better HOU & FLA are - they aren't exactly pulling away with it, ya know?

I think Manuel gets too much heat too. He's unorthodox, but he's the anti-Bowa and that sems to be helping the whiners who hated Larry.

SunMo

i know that you mean.  it's great that they are in the race, but i think in the end, they will falter. 

i think people are hard on this team because of a few reasons:

• they have a big-time payroll and don't perform to it
  • they don't make the fundamental baseball play
  • many of the team are precieved as whiners (true or not)
  • even though the team hasn't done anything during his tenure, the GM is arrogant and consistently cannot make a big in-season trade
  • the players and organization constantly take shots at fans

PhillyPhreak54

1. I agree. They should be better than 70-59 for $95M. But that reflects on the guy spending the money - Ed Wade. You can't blame the players for taking Monty's money. Wade's just stupid when spending it.

2. Somewhat agree. I love Jimmy Rollins, but his plate discipline (or lack thereof) flat out stinks this year. David Bell has the range of a Frigidare. Lieby calls a game like someone who should be in Williamsport this weekend. Moving runners is an adventure at times. Bunting sucks except for a few guys (Lieber looks like he's trying to bunt with his feet holding the bat).

3. Many of them are. I hated the whining last year. That's why I think Manuel deserves a little credit. He knows how to deal with these guys' fragile ego's. Not sure if you know this or not - but Bobby A was the only guy who stood up in the locker room last year and told the guys to STFU about Larry and play baseball.

4. Agreed 100%. The little farger better be looking at adding Helms or another bat off the bench by August 31st.

5. That doesn't bother me all that much. I agree with some of the things that were said and I disagree with some things that are said.

SunMo

Quote from: PhillyPhreak54 on August 27, 2005, 09:42:43 AM
Bobby A was the only guy who stood up in the locker room last year and told the guys to STFU about Larry and play baseball.

really?  where did you hear that?

PhillyPhreak54

Quote from: Sun_Mo on August 27, 2005, 10:15:38 AM
Quote from: PhillyPhreak54 on August 27, 2005, 09:42:43 AM
Bobby A was the only guy who stood up in the locker room last year and told the guys to STFU about Larry and play baseball.

really?  where did you hear that?

In one of the articles (Daily News, maybe?) that was printed at the beginning of the season. matter offact, i think it was the DN because I heard the talking heads discussing it on DNL. They were talking about the whole "lack of leadership" thing and someone said (Paul Hagen, I think) that Bobby is really vocal when he has to be and then brought up him standing in the middle of the room and telling them to shut the farg up and play ball.

It was awhile ago, but the story stuck out in my mind because it impressed me.

SunMo

yeah, that is impressive because he doesn't seem like the vocal type.

my main problems with Abreu are the above talked about clutch-thing, something that he has been much better at lately...

but also, he doesn't hustle downt the line, he doesn't hustle in the outfield, and he plays for his own numbers a lot of the time.  how many times would he steal 2nd when Thome (good Thome, not 2005 Thome) was up, giving the opposition the opportunity to walk him and pitch to Burrell (bad Burrell, not 2005 Burell)

it's just that kind of stuff that keeps him from being the superstar he could be.  he def. has the talent.

PhillyGirl

You've gotta be kidding me with that last post Sun Mo.

You sound like you're taking your shtein straight from what you hear out of Eskin's mouth.  ::)
"Oh, yeah. They'll still boo. They have to. They're born to boo. Just now, they'll only boo with two Os instead of like four." - Larry Andersen

SunMo

Quote from: PhillyGirl on August 27, 2005, 10:28:59 AM
You've gotta be kidding me with that last post Sun Mo.

You sound like you're taking your shtein straight from what you hear out of Eskin's mouth.  ::)

well, i don't listen to Eskin, so you would know better what he says then me...

what am i kidding about in my last post?  he doesn't hustle.  there was a play earlier this week, when Abreu grounded into a double play,  that baseball tonight peeked in on, even one of the guys on the panel said, "he didn't get down the line real quick, i hope he isn't injured"

MDS

Quote from: PhillyPhreak54 on August 27, 2005, 03:03:08 AMMDS, Ugie wasn't used. They brought in Aquilino Lopez. He looked good too. Maybe, just maybe, Wade found a good MR via waivers. I'll reserve judgement for awhile though. I already like him better than Geoff Geary though.

He was planning on using Ugy, though. When the Phillies added those extra runs, he had time to warm up Lopez and use him instead.

But the best thing about the game (besides winning) was Abreu hitting a meaningless, lazy grand slam in the 7th to end the game. They were already up 4-3, so what was the big deal?
Zero hour, Michael. It's the end of the line. I'm the firstborn. I'm sick of playing second fiddle. I'm always third in line for everything. I'm tired of finishing fourth. Being the fifth wheel. There are six things I'm mad about, and I'm taking over.

SunMo

Quote from: MDS on August 27, 2005, 10:41:44 AM
Quote from: PhillyPhreak54 on August 27, 2005, 03:03:08 AMMDS, Ugie wasn't used. They brought in Aquilino Lopez. He looked good too. Maybe, just maybe, Wade found a good MR via waivers. I'll reserve judgement for awhile though. I already like him better than Geoff Geary though.

He was planning on using Ugy, though. When the Phillies added those extra runs, he had time to warm up Lopez and use him instead.

But the best thing about the game (besides winning) was Abreu hitting a meaningless, lazy grand slam in the 7th to end the game. They were already up 4-3, so what was the big deal?

i beat the drum for Abreu's meaningless hits more than anything.  however, when you get runs when you are only up by 1 run, that's still a big hit.

Rome

People ripped Schmidt for years in Philly.

Of course, most of them are retarded fargheads who don't know dick about baseball.

The very same assclowns who ripped Schmidt rip Abreu.  They don't know dick about baseball and they assume that a guy who plays smooth must be dogging it.

It's retarded and it's beyond old already.