Phillies season 7

Started by MURP, August 14, 2005, 12:05:43 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

QB Eagles

Sgt PSN

:-D  That is an awesome quote.  Now make it happen. 

PhillyGirl

Quote from: PhillyPhreak54 on August 24, 2005, 09:07:28 AM
Quote"I'm not here to hurt anybody's feelings, but at the same time, we're trying to get to the playoffs," said Manuel, whose team was a half-game behind the Houston Astros in the National League wild-card race and 4 ½ behind Atlanta in the NL East entering last night's game. "I don't worry about hurting people's feelings. People call me 'Uncle Charlie' and 'Good Time Charlie' and 'Happy-Go-Lucky Charlie' and all that BS. You can take that to ram it up your ass. I'm here to win games."

Atta boy, Charlie. :yay

That was friggin great. LOL
"Oh, yeah. They'll still boo. They have to. They're born to boo. Just now, they'll only boo with two Os instead of like four." - Larry Andersen

SunMo

Quote from: MDS on August 23, 2005, 08:04:57 PM
Apparantley the Wes Helms talks are heating up....there was a rumor today that the deal was done, but it was false. Wade's got 8 days to get er done.

where have you heard Wes Helms' name being mentioned?  i didn't think anything was happening.
I'm the Anti-Christ. You got me in a vendetta kind of mood.

PhillyPhreak54

Quote from: Sun_Mo on August 24, 2005, 10:00:01 AM
Apparantley the Wes Helms talks are heating up....there was a rumor today that the deal was done, but it was false. Wade's got 8 days to get er done.

where have you heard Wes Helms' name being mentioned?  i didn't think anything was happening.

Gammons mentioned it the other night and the Inky mentioned it today. He has cleared waivers and able to be dealt.

SunMo

Quote from: PhillyPhreak54 on August 24, 2005, 10:04:17 AM
Quote from: Sun_Mo on August 24, 2005, 10:00:01 AM

Gammons mentioned it the other night and the Inky mentioned it today. He has cleared waivers and able to be dealt.

yeah, i finally saw it in the Inky today...

i checked his numbers:  .307 avg, 4 HR, 21 RBI in 137 AB

MDS

A little blurb on the possibility of platooning at third base....if we get Wes Helms.

QuoteRookie first baseman Ryan Howard returned to the lineup last night for the first time since Friday because Manuel sat him against three straight lefthanded starters. Howard is hitting just .133 (4 for 30) with no homers and no RBIs against lefthanders this season. He is hitting .301 (44 for 146) with eight homers and 30 RBIs against righthanders.

Third baseman David Bell hit seventh against Giants righthander Brett Tomko, despite his season-long struggles against righthanders.

"I like Howard against lefties when he's hitting the ball real well," Manuel said. "I don't mind him against lefties at all. I've seen him hit lefthanders in the minors. The more experience he has, the better he will be."

But for the moment, Manuel likes Ramon Martinez more.

Bell hit into his 21st double play with the bases loaded and one out in the seventh inning of a 5-0 loss to the Giants on Monday. He is hitting .199 (62 for 311) against righthanders this season.

"Have we got somebody out there who can play better than he can?" Manuel asked.

Tomas Perez is hitting .220 (22 for 100) against righthanders this season. Martinez is hitting .286 (18 for 63) overall.

Who else is out there? And can anybody be had before Wednesday's deadline to set postseason rosters? The Phillies could have some interest in Milwaukee Brewers third baseman Wes Helms, who has cleared waivers and would be a one-month rental. He would be attractive for a few reasons, although radio reports yesterday about an already completed deal were not true.

Helms could play third and first and would provide righthanded pop off the bench. He hit 23 homers for the Brewers in 2003.

The Phillies would not say if they are talking to the Brewers.

"We are continuing to find ways to improve our club," said Ruben Amaro Jr., the Phillies' assistant general manager.

They have a week to make it happen.

It's sad, but it's true. Right now, Bell is the best option at 3rd every day.  :boom
Zero hour, Michael. It's the end of the line. I'm the firstborn. I'm sick of playing second fiddle. I'm always third in line for everything. I'm tired of finishing fourth. Being the fifth wheel. There are six things I'm mad about, and I'm taking over.

SunMo

JTrotter Fan

Howard has his average up to .287 right now.  He's great against right-handers but not against lefties.  Does his performance mean that the Phils will get rid of Thome and go with Howard? 
When you're riding in a time machine way far into the future, don't stick your elbow out the window, or it'll turn into a fossil.

Geowhizzer

Quote from: The Waco Kid on August 24, 2005, 01:48:01 PM
Howard has his average up to .287 right now.  He's great against right-handers but not against lefties.  Does his performance mean that the Phils will get rid of Thome and go with Howard? 

Trouble is that Thome has 4 (5?) years left at $14+ million per year.  If his back/elbow is as bad as feared, who would trade for him?

Best bet would be an AL team that could DH him and save him some wear and tear on the field.  Whoever it is, the Phils would have to eat a major portion of the salary, which makes that less likely to happen.

Rome

The Phillies could always offer Thome a buyout.  Whether or not he'd accept it is another matter entirely.

PhillyGirl

Just an FYI...from today's paper:

QuoteThey're interested

Closer Billy Wagner said Monday that he didn't think the Phillies were interested in signing him to a new contract. But the Phillies contacted his agent, Bean Stringfellow, last week and made an offer. Stringfellow made a counteroffer, but that is where the talks stand for the moment.

He was believed to be seeking a three-year, $24 million contract. But because Wagner, who is 4-1 with a 1.68 ERA and 30 saves, is having such an impressive season, his price likely is higher.

QuoteWho else is out there? And can anybody be had before Wednesday's deadline to set postseason rosters? The Phillies could have some interest in Milwaukee Brewers third baseman Wes Helms, who has cleared waivers and would be a one-month rental. He would be attractive for a few reasons, although radio reports yesterday about an already completed deal were not true.

Helms could play third and first and would provide righthanded pop off the bench. He hit 23 homers for the Brewers in 2003.

The Phillies would not say if they are talking to the Brewers.

"We are continuing to find ways to improve our club," said Ruben Amaro Jr., the Phillies' assistant general manager.

They have a week to make it happen.
"Oh, yeah. They'll still boo. They have to. They're born to boo. Just now, they'll only boo with two Os instead of like four." - Larry Andersen

MURP

ok, thats it.  it is impossible to read an article about Billy Wagners agent without laughing. 

MDS

Sloopy and ugly, but a win is a win.  :yay

Lidle only lasted 4 because of an injury, giving up 4 runs. But, he didn't pitch all that bad. Lofton had three or four balls drop in front of him that he should've caught, and who else but David Bell booted a grounder (but he did have a nice game at the plate, extreamly amazing since it was off of a right hander).

Phils now have a 1.5 game lead on Houston, 2 on the rest of the NL East and are still 3.5 back of the Braves.
Zero hour, Michael. It's the end of the line. I'm the firstborn. I'm sick of playing second fiddle. I'm always third in line for everything. I'm tired of finishing fourth. Being the fifth wheel. There are six things I'm mad about, and I'm taking over.

JTrotter Fan

Good win.  Phils now 10 games over .500.  They finished last year 10 games over.  If they can keep things going the way they are...they could finish about 18 games over .500 or so.  That should be good enough.
When you're riding in a time machine way far into the future, don't stick your elbow out the window, or it'll turn into a fossil.