Phillies season 7

Started by MURP, August 14, 2005, 12:05:43 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Geowhizzer

Think Eskin was watching his boy Abreu get that clutch double in the bottom of the 7th?  :-D

GREAT slide by Michaels to score the run.

4-3 Phils.  :yay

NGM

4-3 final.  Still a half game up on Houston.  :yay
Fletch:  Can I borrow your towel for a sec? My car just hit a water buffalo.

PhillyGirl

"Oh, yeah. They'll still boo. They have to. They're born to boo. Just now, they'll only boo with two Os instead of like four." - Larry Andersen

MDS

Cormier sucks. Why do they continue to run him out there?

Despite that, a nice win. Had to take 2/3. Brito looked pretty good, should get a shot to work out of the bullpen. If the Padres win tonight, were 2.5 out of first in the NL East. For now, its on to the land of hbionic and Arizona.
Zero hour, Michael. It's the end of the line. I'm the firstborn. I'm sick of playing second fiddle. I'm always third in line for everything. I'm tired of finishing fourth. Being the fifth wheel. There are six things I'm mad about, and I'm taking over.

Don Ho

Quote from: MDS on August 21, 2005, 04:28:43 PM
Cormier sucks. Why do they continue to run him out there?

Despite that, a nice win. Had to take 2/3. Brito looked pretty good, should get a shot to work out of the bullpen. If the Padres win tonight, were 2.5 out of first in the NL East. For now, its on to the land of hbionic and San Francisco.

Rheal = ulcers
"Well where does Jack Lord live, or Don Ho?  That's got to be a nice neighborhood"  Jack Singer(Nicholas Cage) in Honeymoon in Vegas.

Rome

Nice win for the Phitin's.   :yay

They did what they had to do and came back and won two straight against a team they simply have to beat.

BigEd76

hbionic is in Arizona?  ???

We luck out by missing Jason Schmidt and Javier Vazquez this week...  :yay

MDS

Quote from: BigEd76 on August 21, 2005, 06:20:51 PM
hbionic is in Arizona?  ???

We luck out by missing Jason Schmidt and Javier Vazquez this week...  :yay

realized i repeated myself there. I predict a 12-0 road trip. Go Phillies!
Zero hour, Michael. It's the end of the line. I'm the firstborn. I'm sick of playing second fiddle. I'm always third in line for everything. I'm tired of finishing fourth. Being the fifth wheel. There are six things I'm mad about, and I'm taking over.

PhillyPhreak54

Good post about the bench, MDS.

I think Helms would be the best option too.

Remember - on September 1st the rosters expand to 40 so they'll have room for several guys. They'd have to send out a guy for a little bit but then could bring him back up on September 1st. The waiver-trade deadline is August 31st.

But I think for players to be on your playoff roster they have to be on the roster by August 31st. I could be wrong, but I'm not sure of the rule since we haven't had a goddamn playoff baseball team in years. But I remember in 1993 they had Donn Pall and Bobby Thigpen pitching in Sept but didn't have them in the playoffs.

Get Helms, call up Shane Victorino...I'd like those moves. That way if Victorino plays well he could be on the PO roster if need be.

I'd keep Endy (unless Victorino played better/bunted better/stole bases better) to be, like you said, a Dave Roberts type guy.

PhillyPhreak54

As for today's game:

Brito pitched very well. I liked what he did today. I'd keep him here instead of bringing Geary back.

If I could've punched Rheal Cormier in the head today, I think I would've. Jeez....way to toss BP out there today, Rheal.

He is a Joe Kerrigan creation. Trade him to the Yankees so he can reunite with Joe, the fargin bum.

Excellent slide by Michaels and good hit by Bobby.

Geowhizzer

You are correct, Phreak.  Usually, a player has to be on the roster BEFORE September 1 to be eligible for the playoff roster.

One notable exception was Marty Bystrom in 1980.  He was a September callup, but the Phils got special permission to put him on the playoff roster.  I believe he took either Nino Espinosa's or Randy Lerch's place on the playoff roster.

PhillyGirl

Quote from: PhillyPhreak54 on August 22, 2005, 02:00:37 AM

You have to tell me how this is spun by that pathetic wolf-like creature. It should be good for a giggle or 10.
"Oh, yeah. They'll still boo. They have to. They're born to boo. Just now, they'll only boo with two Os instead of like four." - Larry Andersen

MDS

Quote from: PhillyPhreak54 on August 22, 2005, 01:54:18 AM
I'd keep Endy (unless Victorino played better/bunted better/stole bases better) to be, like you said, a Dave Roberts type guy.

Well, using Endy as a Dave Roberts type doesn't seem to be happening. He has all of 1 stolen base this year. Why he doesn't run every time he gets on base (like once in a blue moon, but nevertheless), I do not know. Maybe Victorino will when he gets up here in september.

They know have 9 days to get someone (Helms, Victorino) else off the bench. Will Wade go get the best option, or go get Kelly Stinnet again so Todd Pratt can pinch hit more?

PhillyPhreak54

Quote from: PhillyGirl on August 22, 2005, 07:11:30 AM
Quote from: PhillyPhreak54 on August 22, 2005, 02:00:37 AM

You have to tell me how this is spun by that pathetic wolf-like creature. It should be good for a giggle or 10.

The genius is on vacation. Gargano is filling in.

MDS,

I agree about Endy not running too much this year. The reason, I think, is because most of the time he is in there is that it is late in the game and stealing then wouldn't help because they don't want him thrown out. Playoffs are different though, obviously. You risk it a little more then.

I'm sure AJ Hinch will be a September 1 call up, which will help in resting Pratt and Mr. Garbage for the playoffs. Charlie will be able to PH more for those guys and then use Hinch to catch late.

Rome

The Phillies can't seriously be considering using Lieberthal as their starting catcher should they reach the playoffs.

Not even they could be that stupid.

Also - I wonder how long Pratt is going to hold out playing as much as he has?  I mean, he's not exactly a spring chicken out there either.