Phillies season 7

Started by MURP, August 14, 2005, 12:05:43 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sgt PSN

Quote from: PhillyPhreak54 on August 20, 2005, 07:50:52 PM
I think he has to stay down there for 10, Ed. But they brought up that Aquilino Lopez dude who they claimed on waivers from the Rockies after he struck out a ton of Phils.

They better win tonight.

By the way - Scott Spiezio was cut today from the Mariners. He's sucked ass this year (.064) but he was a very good 1B/3B when in Anaheim. I'd like to see him given a looksie for a bench guy.

I dunno dude.  .064 is more than twice as bad as Burrell was a couple of years ago during his off year.  What's the deal with him?  I remember him when he was with Anaheim but haven't heard ish about him since.  Was he riding the bench all year and just being used as a PH? 

PhillyPhreak54

He's been injured plus not playing a lot. That .064 is only for like 46 AB's or something like that.

Brett Myers pitched a CG...Phillies win! :yay

PhillyGirl

3.5 behind the Braves?  :paranoid
"Oh, yeah. They'll still boo. They have to. They're born to boo. Just now, they'll only boo with two Os instead of like four." - Larry Andersen

BigEd76

Astros, Marlins and Nats all lost too....  :yay

PhillyGirl

Yup, was a big night. Way to rebound after the debacle last night. Thank GOD Myers pitched a CG, too. That BP needed a night off big time.  :yay
"Oh, yeah. They'll still boo. They have to. They're born to boo. Just now, they'll only boo with two Os instead of like four." - Larry Andersen

Geowhizzer

Quote from: PhillyGirl on August 20, 2005, 11:24:30 PM
Yup, was a big night. Way to rebound after the debacle last night. Thank GOD Myers pitched a CG, too. That BP needed a night off big time.  :yay

Good for my fantasy team as well!  :yay

Sgt PSN

Quote from: PhillyPhreak54 on August 20, 2005, 09:43:02 PM
He's been injured plus not playing a lot. That .064 is only for like 46 AB's or something like that.

Brett Myers pitched a CG...Phillies win! :yay

So who do the Phils release/send down to make room for him?  And if he's been bothered by injury this year, is it worth the risk?  He's only got somewhere around 50 ab's all season so I gotta wonder if he'd even be able to get back in the swing of things.  No pun intended.  Just saying that it's crunch time and the Phils are in the WC/Division race and he could be just as much of a liability as he could be some help.  If they can sign him and send him to the minors so he can get some everyday work in, then maybe he could help down the stretch or in the playoffs if the Phils get there.  Otherwise I don't know if it's worth tampering with the roster at this point. 

MDS

I'd rather trade for Edgardo Alfonso (who cleared waivers) than pick up Spiezio. You could send down Chavez or cut Perez, both of whom really don't add much to the team.

Good win tonight. Myers pitched a great game, and by golly, David Bell had a two run double. It's about that old pile of crap did something.

Gotta win tommorrow. You can't have both the Brewers and Pirates take 2/3 on your home field in the same month, let alone the same season.
Zero hour, Michael. It's the end of the line. I'm the firstborn. I'm sick of playing second fiddle. I'm always third in line for everything. I'm tired of finishing fourth. Being the fifth wheel. There are six things I'm mad about, and I'm taking over.

PhillyPhreak54

I would sign Spiezio to a minor league deal...no harm in that. Let him get a few AB's at Scranton and see what's up with him.

All's I know is that the bench they have is fargin pathetic. There is no power on it whatsoever.

Good point about Alfonzo, MDS. I'd look into him too.

Peter Gammons said that Wes Helms cleared waivers too. He is a big bopper and can play 1st and 3rd too. He's a RH batter too, which we need off the bench.

Ed Wade better get some help on that goddamn bench though. I think brutal is too nice of a word to describe it.

Ramon Martinez plays once in a blue moon, I'd be willing to see him go if we could get Alfonzo or Helms. But I'd really like to see Tomas Perez get the boot. Martinez is a better hitter than Tomas, but they'd never get rid of Tomas so Martinez wold be the odd man out I guess.

Eude B(ur)rito pitches today and I hope he can go a solid 5 innings...

PoopyfaceMcGee

QuoteBell, who has struggled this season, is hitting .396 (40-for-101) against left-handers, second best in the majors.

Now THERE'S a guy we should platoon.

Geowhizzer

Personally, I'd like Helms.  Gives us a bit of flexibility (can play 1B, 3B and LF-RF) and a power bat off the bench.

We have Perez and Martines, who is a Perez clone.  We only need one of the two.

MDS

The thing that really makes me high on Helms is that he is hitting .424 as a PH with 2 HR. He is hitting .280 as a starter, and .303 overall. Even in his limited at bats, he seems a heck of a lot better than David Bell. Or at least someone worth bringing in here to have off the bench. He is making $2 mil+ this year, but who really cares.

Just another litter stat:
Wes Helms averages a HR every 33 AB's (and he's not a full-time starter)
David Bell averages a HR every 69 AB's
Todd Pratt averages a HR every 18 AB's (and he's better than Lieberthal)
Jason Michaels averages a HR every 77 AB's
Tomas Perez doesn't have a homerun this year
Ramon Martinez doesn't have a homerun this year
Inning Ending Chavez hasn't hit the ball past the second basemen this year

So besides Pratt (all his HR's are as a starter), Helms is the best power option we have. Michaels/Lofton work great as the high OBP guy off the bench, Chavez can be your speed guy (if Manuel would use him like Francona used Dave Roberts last year....) and one of Perez/Martinez is your super utility guy. I doubt Wade makes this move, but it would be smart and extreamly beneficial to this team.
Zero hour, Michael. It's the end of the line. I'm the firstborn. I'm sick of playing second fiddle. I'm always third in line for everything. I'm tired of finishing fourth. Being the fifth wheel. There are six things I'm mad about, and I'm taking over.

PoopyfaceMcGee

Quote from: MDS on August 21, 2005, 11:17:27 AM
He is making $2 mil+ this year, but who really cares.

Ed Wade.

MDS

It's not Wade's money. Monty and the silent partners would be the ones who would veto the deal because of money.

Geowhizzer

Quote from: FFatPatt on August 21, 2005, 11:22:19 AM
Quote from: MDS on August 21, 2005, 11:17:27 AM
He is making $2 mil+ this year, but who really cares.

Ed Wade.

Also, it wouldn't be $2 million for this season.  It would be whatever percentage of the season is left.

What's the status of his contract after this season?