Phillies season 7

Started by MURP, August 14, 2005, 12:05:43 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

PhillyPhreak54

I also was fine with him taking out Lieber. Even though Jon has been pitching well the last 5 or so starts, he has the ability to give up a crooked inning in the blink of an eye. I thought Larry Andersen was going to cry about him taking Lieber out. I like LA and all, but STFU!

The bullpen has been lights out and I'll take my chances with Madson, Ugie and Billy Wags.

Although Madson has been less than stellar this year.

PhillyGirl

Quote from: PhillyPhreak54 on August 18, 2005, 02:40:19 AM
I also was fine with him taking out Lieber. Even though Jon has been pitching well the last 5 or so starts, he has the ability to give up a crooked inning in the blink of an eye. I thought Larry Andersen was going to cry about him taking Lieber out. I like LA and all, but STFU!

I was fine with it too...I didn't understand why there was so much nonsense being talked about it after the game either.
"Oh, yeah. They'll still boo. They have to. They're born to boo. Just now, they'll only boo with two Os instead of like four." - Larry Andersen

PhillyGirl

;D

The Phils are surging? Are you sure this is the middle of August and not the middle of May? :crazy
"Oh, yeah. They'll still boo. They have to. They're born to boo. Just now, they'll only boo with two Os instead of like four." - Larry Andersen

Rome

I thought Cholly made the right decision pinch hitting Michaels for Leiber.  Bases loaded, it's a 4-2 game... you gotta take a chance even though Leiber was dominating up until that point and hadn't thrown a whole lot of pitches yet.

Nice win, though.  I hope this team takes the bull by the balls and seizes this golden opportunity.

It's there for the taking now just fargin take it already.

PhillyGirl

QuoteLosing his head

The Boston Herald reported that former Phillies third baseman Dave Hollins, a coach for the double-A Binghamton Mets, was suspended indefinitely after a wild incident Monday in Portland, Maine.

Hollins stormed the Portland Sea Dogs' dugout from the first-base coach's box after he exchanged words with Portland pitching coach Fernando Arroyo. Hollins took offense that Portland manager Todd Claus asked for a clarification regarding a Binghamton batter being hit by a pitch. Portland hitting coach Russ Morman got to Hollins before Hollins got to Arroyo.

PhillyGirl

From the philly.com writeup on the game:

QuoteWagner allowed a leadoff hit to Jose Guillen but, after nine fastballs at 97 mph or more, fanned Wilson on a slider, overpowered Tony Blanco with a fastball strikeout and got Castilla to ground to third.

Anyone else have the feeling that Wags is going to pitch MUCH, MUCH better now that the team is actually competing? Something tells me that with an actual goal (playoffs) in sight, he's going to turn it way on.

Geowhizzer

The Phils winning when it counts?  Hard to believe, Harry.

You have to love that Burrell is turning it on when it counts.  He can be a dominating force when he's playing well.

I agree that Manuel did what he had to do.  Bases loaded, opportunity to break the game open, and Michaels has a pretty good track record in those situations.  Didn't work out (way to swing at strike three up at your eyes, moron  :boom), but a good decision IMO.

Looks like the league has figured out Madson a bit.  Hopefully he can make the adjustments needed to regain dominance.

Did anyone else think that the umpire was squeezing Wagner a bit in the 9th?  There were a couple of pitches that I thought were inside corner that were being called balls.  Didn't matter- they weren't going to touch him.

rjs246

That Dave Hollins thing reminds me of how retarded baseball is. No physical outlet for frustration so dingis coaches players feel the need to get into fights/punch water coolers/snap bats over their knees to vent. Hey, here's an idea. Play a contact sport and stop being a non-hetero.
Is rjs gonna have to choke a bitch?

Let them eat bootstraps.

PhillyGirl

Geez, I turned on WIP to see if there was any Eagles news and all I heard was them BASHING the shtein out of Manuel. Turned it right off.

PhillyPhreak54

Rhea The Mouth is blasting Billy Wags on the show today for comments he made in the Baltimore Sun. She rips him all the time about his comments regarding the fans. I think Billy must've turned her down for a romp in the Motel 6 the way she rips him. Its her favorite past time.

Supposedly Billy said that the fans who boo have no clue and now that the TO situation has hit unprecedented levels of infatuation in the media that will take pressure off of the Phils because everyone is focused on the TO thing.

I wish i could get a hold of that broad's e-mail address. I'm not going to wait on hold for 2 hours to talk for 30 seconds. But I'd like to tell her to STFU about Billy until she gets him on the show and confronts him if she has such a huge problem.

Billy's been on there before and of course they kiss his ass while on air and then rip him later.

Geowhizzer

Is she more like die-a-rhea... or more like gone-o-rhea?  :paranoid

Rome

LOL.  Serves you all right for listening to that ridiculous stupidity.

I was listening to Baseball This Morning on XM and they were absolutely RIPPING Philly talk radio.

Just awesome.

:yay

PhillyGirl

Quote from: Jerome99RIP on August 18, 2005, 09:20:26 AM
LOL.  Serves you all right for listening to that ridiculous stupidity.

I was listening to Baseball This Morning on XM and they were absolutely RIPPING Philly talk radio.

Just awesome.

:yay

I had it on for 20 seconds...LOL. Roob said he'd be calling in early, but now I think he meant early on the 10am show.

PhillyPhreak54

Yeah, he must be. They just had Eckel on the morning show. So Roob will call into Mike & Ant.

I figured out why Rhea The Bitch was ripping Billy....here's the article. It's because the writer blasts WIP more so she's pissed about that.

QuoteIn Philly, diamonds are dull next to a soap opera's glitz

By Dan Connolly, Baltimore Sun Staff

Originally published August 18, 2005

PHILADELPHIA -- The caller knew he was on an island, but he tried, anyway.

It was in between phone interviews with Philadelphia Eagles wide receiver Greg Lewis yesterday on WIP, the city's leading sports talk radio station.

WIP had lost contact with Lewis, who had been talking about fellow wide receiver Terrell Owens' much-publicized return to training camp. So the hosts decided to hear from the public until they could get Lewis on the phone again.

The first call came from a Phillies fan who said he felt like the only person in the city excited about the team's four-game series against the Washington Nationals.

He was optimistic about the Phillies' postseason chances, understandable since their 4-3 win over the Nationals last night put them in a first-place tie with the Houston Astros in the wild-card race -- a half-game ahead of Washington.

The caller finished what he had to say. Then the show's hosts buried him. They said the Phillies had little character. They said the Phillies had an inferior starting rotation. Then they hung up on the guy.

And they returned to obsessing about Owens, weeks before the regular-season kickoff.

Welcome to Philadelphia, where it is all T.O. all the time. And where baseball has become an annoying timeout in between Eagles seasons.

The back page of yesterday's Philadelphia Daily News was a picture of Owens with the caption "T-DAY -- Is T.O. in or is he out? Today may tell."

The Philadelphia Inquirer had two Owens stories and a picture above the fold on the sports front. The Phillies were pushed to the bottom of the page -- while legitimately in a pennant race.

"It's a football town. We hear Eagles chants when we're playing," said Phillies reserve catcher Todd Pratt. "It's a football town, which is understandable because they've won. They've been in the playoffs the past four years; we haven't since 1993."

If you think Baltimore's baseball fans have become jaded, take a drive up Interstate 95 to find a real city of baseball indifference.

"I can't see the fans really getting excited unless they knew we were in it or it's toward the end," said starting catcher Mike Lieberthal. "Because I don't feel the fans think that we're going to go, that we're going to be in the playoffs."

No active athlete in any of the four major sports has played in Philadelphia for more consecutive seasons than Lieberthal, who was promoted from the minors in 1994. He has never seen a playoff game here; the 1993 team that lost to the Toronto Blue Jays in the World Series was the last to make the postseason.

He has heard plenty of boos, though.

"They definitely show their disappointment," Lieberthal said. "And they will still show their disappointment until we're in first place or are definitely penciled in as the wild card."

OK, so there has been a 12-year playoff drought here. That's even longer than the one in Baltimore. But let's not compare scars.

The Phillies have had a winning record in three of their past four seasons. They have the fourth-highest payroll in baseball. With their win last night, they are now in second place in the National League East.

Only six weeks remain in the regular season, and the Phillies are in the middle of the hunt, so there should be some optimism here, right? "Until we actually win and go to the playoffs," Lieberthal said, "you'll just be looked down upon, like, 'Oh, you guys [stink] until you actually make' " the postseason.

Billy Wagner, the Phillies' All-Atar closer, has been here for just 1 1/2 seasons, but he already has got the fans figured out.

"They don't even know what they are booing at most of the time," he said. "They yell and boo and they don't know what they are paying attention to or yelling at. They're spelling 'Eagles' the whole game."

You get used to it, Wagner said.

It doesn't bother him that during one of the biggest series of the year, the papers, radio and television stations and many of the city's fans are focused primarily on Owens and his squabbles with Eagles management and players.

There's even some irony here.

Owens' disruptions may cost the Eagles a chance at a fifth straight NFC title game. But, Wagner said, smiling, Owens might actually help the Phillies play in October.

"We love it," Wagner said. "If T.O. wants to take all the pressure off our division race, go right ahead

What is so bad in there?!?

Rome

Actually, I could do without Wagner's constant bitching about the fans, Phreak.

If it weren't for the fans, Wagner would be working at a gas station right now so he should really shut his pie hole.

Also - if he was from Philly or was a fan of the team and had to suffer through nearly two decades of ineptitude, his opinion might be a wee bit different as well.

As for the Eagles chants, I love them.  If you want the fans to stop chanting E-A-G-L-E-S and start chanting P-H-I-L-L-I-E-S, start winning, motherfargers.