iPhone from Apple

Started by mussa, January 11, 2007, 11:21:50 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

mussa

Apple is now joining the phone war.  This thing is part ipod, phone, internet browser, and picture/video viewer. At release will only be available with Cingular. Tight.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YgW7or1TuFk

http://www.apple.com/iphone/
Official Sponsor of The Fire Andy Reid Club
"We be plundering the High Sequence Seas For the hidden Treasures of Conservation"

Seabiscuit36

Its awsome but im not a fan of Cingular.  I read Cisco is suing apple already because they owned the rights to the iPhone name. 
"For all the civic slurs, for all the unsavory things said of the Philadelphia fans, also say this: They could teach loyalty to a dog. Their capacity for pain is without limit." -Bill Lyons

Quasimoto

it looks really cool and everything but my two biggest gripes are:

1.  why tie yourself down to one wireless provider?  im pretty sure eventually it will be available on most plans but to just have cingular seems really limited.  although i have read that it has to do with what type of phone it is and t-mobile and cingular are the only ones who have the ability to handle it at this point?  not sure.

2.  why didn't they integrate ichat into it?  this seems like a complete no-brainer to me.  in fact i don't think there is any sort of IM.  they made the text messaging interface like ichat though.  i guess with the capability of the phone you will be able to download ichat for the iphone but it should just come with the damn thing, imo.

PoopyfaceMcGee

Quote from: Seabiscuit36 on January 11, 2007, 11:29:12 AM
Its awsome but im not a fan of Cingular.  I read Cisco is suing apple already because they owned the rights to the iPhone name. 

How is that possible?  I thought Apple owned the lowercase "i" altogether.

Cerevant

Quote from: Seabiscuit36 on January 11, 2007, 11:29:12 AM
I read Cisco is suing apple already because they owned the rights to the iPhone name. 

Yeah, Apple was negotiating for the rights, but Cisco wanted patent sharing or some shtein.  Apple told them to bugger off - Cisco hasn't done a very good job at protecting the trademark anyway.

Quote from: Beef Rapp on January 11, 2007, 12:36:45 PM
1.  why tie yourself down to one wireless provider?  im pretty sure eventually it will be available on most plans but to just have cingular seems really limited.  although i have read that it has to do with what type of phone it is and t-mobile and cingular are the only ones who have the ability to handle it at this point?  not sure.

There are two issues here:

Phone network: the iPhone is currently a GSM device, which will only work on Cingular & TMobile in the US.  Sprint & Verizon are CDMA - incompatible technology.  Note that GSM is used throughout Europe and most of the rest of the world, but CDMA is used in Japan.  If Apple wants to sell in Japan (and half of the US market) they will have to make a CDMA variant.

Deal with Cingular: Apple wanted to dictate the terms of the relationship, and there aren't many providers out there that are willing to do that.  Look at all the crap and restrictions cell companies put on phones today - that is the provider's fault, not the phone manufacturer.  Apple wanted to control the user experience, and needed the provider to change their infrastructure to support the new voicemail feature (voicemail looks like e-mail - you just pick the message you want to listen to, rather than using phone menus).  Cingular was either the only one willing to cooperate, or was the one willing to come up with the most cash (this thing has been in development for 2 years with no revenue) to lock in the exclusive deal.

Of course, if it is successful, the other providers will be falling over themselves to buy in.  This could change the landscape for phone providers big-time.

It will be interesting to see what happens when this thing starts shipping...

Quote2.  why didn't they integrate ichat into it?  this seems like a complete no-brainer to me.  in fact i don't think there is any sort of IM.  they made the text messaging interface like ichat though.  i guess with the capability of the phone you will be able to download ichat for the iphone but it should just come with the damn thing, imo.

It probably will - the only reason they announced this thing was that they had to file with the FCC to get a license for it.  Once that was done, details of the phone will be released to the public.  I'm guessing there are quite a few features coming that they haven't talked about yet because they haven't been implemented yet.
An ad hominem fallacy consists of asserting that someone's argument is wrong and/or he is wrong to argue at all purely because of something discreditable/not-authoritative about the person or those persons cited by him rather than addressing the soundness of the argument itself.

Diomedes

^^^

I just reported that shtein to the mod.  This message is far too intelligent, well informed (sounding at least), and downright grown-up for this cesspool mb.
There is considerable overlap between the intelligence of the smartest bears and the dumbest tourists." - Yosemite Park Ranger

The BIGSTUD

I didn't watch the videos  so this may or may not have been in them, but it has a lot of cool features. Load full web pages. Zoom on pages and scroll. The ability to flip the screen and also touch and stretch/shrink or touch and drag different pictures and things.

Very cool thing. They also have iTV which will be coming out as well, which basically loads up stuff from your computer to your TV like media, etc. Also does other things.
Calling it right on the $ since day one.
Just pointing laughing, and living it up while watching the Miami Heat stink it up.

General_Failure

The man. The myth. The legend.

Cerevant

An ad hominem fallacy consists of asserting that someone's argument is wrong and/or he is wrong to argue at all purely because of something discreditable/not-authoritative about the person or those persons cited by him rather than addressing the soundness of the argument itself.

Zanshin

That was really entertaining. 

mussa

I just bought one yesterday. It owns my soul now. I love it
Official Sponsor of The Fire Andy Reid Club
"We be plundering the High Sequence Seas For the hidden Treasures of Conservation"

Sgt PSN

I'm holding out for at least the 2nd but most likely 3rd generation iPhone.  I'm curious to see how the phone holds up over time, especially the touch screen and the sensors that flip the screen according to how you're holding the phone. 

From what I've heard there haven't really been any problems with functionality or anything which kind of surprised me.  I figured there'd be a bug or 2 that would need to be worked out but so far the few people I know that have them, love them.  I just gotta see how durable they are before I drop that much cheddar on one of them. 

Seabiscuit36

I dont want to switch from Verizon, love the network and those guys who follow me around
"For all the civic slurs, for all the unsavory things said of the Philadelphia fans, also say this: They could teach loyalty to a dog. Their capacity for pain is without limit." -Bill Lyons

Sgt PSN

Perhaps I'll go check out the E70 just to see what it's all about.