Anyone seen a good movie lately?

Started by henchmanUK, December 09, 2004, 11:44:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

SD

Quote from: ice grillin you on September 27, 2018, 07:48:14 AM
black panther - almost watchable for a super hero movie for the first three quarters....literally had to turn it off with about 15 minutes left after 15 straight minutes of stupid cgi action shtein that was just relentless

4/10

Racist

Tomahawk

If you have Netflix, you should give Quincy a go. Good shtein

ice grillin you

a star is born - lady gaga is uncomfortably bad as an actor...the movie is super manipulative very cliched and about a half hour too long...I did think the very end was exceptionally well done...the piano flashback...if you wanna see some superior in the same genre watch crazy heart

5/10
i can take a phrase thats rarely heard...flip it....now its a daily word

igy gettin it done like warrick

im the board pharmacist....always one step above yous

ice grillin you

sicario II - really missed emily blunt and her storyline as it added tons of humanity....this second one was shot well and was mildly entertaining but was straight knuckle headed machismo that was basically 2 hrs of low flying helicopters chasing caravans and close up of executions of people

5/10

phattymatty

i also just watched this...any drug cartel genre movie is usually right in my wheelhouse but this story couldn't have taken more than 3 minutes to come up with.

also i had to google if the boss daughter was a teenager or 30. she is a teenager.

ice grillin you

im still not really sure what the storyline was

Eagles_Legendz

Rome

Saw First Man over the weekend.  Completely forgettable.   There's no way the real people were as dour and unlikable as the actors portrayed them to be. 

Even the usually amazing Claire Foy looked like she could use a drink. 

C+ I guess?

ice grillin you

Quote from: Rome on October 16, 2018, 12:43:22 PM
Saw First Man over the weekend.  Completely forgettable.   There's no way the real people were as dour and unlikable as the actors portrayed them to be. 

i cant speak to anyone else but youd be hard pressed to find anyone more austere than neil armstrong

phattymatty

Quote from: ice grillin you on October 16, 2018, 10:40:26 AM
im still not really sure what the storyline was

yeah the credits rolled and wife was like well that happened.

ice grillin you

mid90's - minus the skater crowd...not only did i not run with skaters i actively hated them this movie was pretty much my growing up...unless you were some straight edge weirdo i imagine it was most anyones high school years if you tweak one thing like say the music or the dress or speak...very well done coming of age tale especially from a first time actor delving into not just directing but also writing...and cast which were made up of basically all real skater was outstanding...especially the lead who was awesome...del make a pretty cool cameo in it and the soundtrack is perfect if too understated...also clocks in at most 1.5 hrs and felt like a lot less

7.5/10

kedi - a documentary love letter to the city of instanbul told thru the cities love of their street cats...really different and weird but also really good

7/10

lincoln laywer - corny cop and courtroom whodunit where for not even one second do you care who did it...also comes with some preposterous "twists and turns"...pretty much awful

4/10

Eagles_Legendz

I watched set it up because I heard all summer nothing but positive press about this movie.

Garbage.  Almost shut it off.

Normally I'm pretty much in agreement with rotten tomatoes.  90%?   :boo

ice grillin you

thoroughbreds - low key suspense about two sociopathic girls that has a great script that also includes some awesome dry comedic moments as well as  making a statement on the lack of empathy in todays culture...the film is brilliantly shot especially the big scene at the end which is amazingly done...the ending in general is a little anticlimactic and not drawn out very well but getting there is really fun

7/10

ice grillin you

juiet naked - like a lot a rom coms although not as bad as most this has a contrived storyline but it also tackles some serious issues with witty jokes and an off the charts charming cast...rose byrne in particular

7/10

journeys end - originally a play written in 1928 ten years after the end of ww1 by an actual soldier this movie shows the pure horror and agony of being along the western front and in war in general...altho thats all it really does...not much else happens or is overly interesting

5.5/10

ice grillin you

meeks cutoff - incredibly intimate and beautiful that it makes you forget that the slown burn is actually pretty boring at times....still this is a more realistic western than anything clint eastwood ever made and makes realize just how tough 19th century settlers were...definitely not for everyone but i really liked it

7/10

camerperson - women who made this is a 25 year veteran of documentary filmaking and this doc consists of outtakes from her career....basically a video memoir that is disjointed and not always interesting but is as humanistic as anything you will ever see

5.5/10

bling ring - true story of a bunch of celebrity obsessed morons who broke into famous peoples hollywood homes and stole over 3 million dollars worth of stuff...not only is every single character incredibly unlikable they are also boring as shtein

2.5/10

first reformed - again not for everyone its incredibly slow at times but beautifully made and the most thoughtful movie about faith i have ever seen....to the point where it requires multiple viewings to fully take in and get all that its saying

disobedience - a convergence of love and religion as a women who was shunned early in life from her orthodox jew community for a same sex relationship goes back to the same community to mourn the death of her father and rekindles her love for the same girl again...movie has some great performances but it is in true acting rather than speaking as the best parts of the movie are when no one is talking...because of this is could have been more emotionally powerful but it is basically cliche free because of it and stays grounded...some hott racheal mcadams rachel weize action as well if you are into that kind of thing

7/10