The "I Miss Sassy" Sports Thread

Started by Rome, February 06, 2008, 10:16:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sgt PSN

afl folding up for good

typical.  a philly team wins a title and the entire league goes out of business. 

BigEd76

There's a UFL game on VERSUS right now with a bunch of ex-NFL guys

Dave Sims/Doug Flutie announcing

JP Losman
Michael Pittman
Odell Thurman
Tatum Bell
Brooks Bollinger
Matt Bryant

PhillyPhreak54

I was watching a little bit of that...not too bad. Much better than the XFL.

Sgt PSN

i can't imagine that the play would really be all that much better than the xfl.  but i can beleive that it would be much better to watch since they aren't using wwe commentators or have all the excessive hoopla that came with it either. 

QB Eagles

The quality of the football itself seems pretty good. There are a lot of familiar names playing with just-below NFL ability. But this operation has been woefully under-promoted (I didn't realize it was on until tonight), and there's little to distinguish it rules-wise from the NFL.

The areas that do distinguish themselves aren't good. Terrible uniforms, even worse ref uniforms, illegible logos, lime green everywhere.... who designed the look of this league?

I wish this league luck, but I don't think it'll catch on, especially given the number of people in the stands.

MDS

only shot a non nfl league has to be okay is to go minor league baseball

small towns, close proximity, no money. basically admit the operation is small time and deal with it.
Zero hour, Michael. It's the end of the line. I'm the firstborn. I'm sick of playing second fiddle. I'm always third in line for everything. I'm tired of finishing fourth. Being the fifth wheel. There are six things I'm mad about, and I'm taking over.

Diomedes

sure..but the problem is that football is hella more expensive than baseball
There is considerable overlap between the intelligence of the smartest bears and the dumbest tourists." - Yosemite Park Ranger

ice grillin you

i can take a phrase thats rarely heard...flip it....now its a daily word

igy gettin it done like warrick

im the board pharmacist....always one step above yous

Sgt PSN

why not?  why should the nfl be the only pro-football league out there? 

reese125

same reason why there is not a variety of pro leagues in the other major sports

it doesnt make money and there is no draw

Sgt PSN

minor league baseball and hockey are both pro leagues.  the players get paid, thus, pro-athletes. 

it's all about market and marketing though.  can't try and build this new league in/around cities with pro teams.  probably gotta stay away from major college programs too.  but if you go to cities like spokane, wa or billings, mt or salt lake city, then you might have a chance.  basically, they need to stay in ma in order to be successful. 

it's also a good opportunity for nfl castoffs and rejects to still play somewhere, which i don't have a problem with at all. 

ice grillin you

Quote from: Sgt PSN on October 15, 2009, 10:41:24 AM
minor league baseball and hockey are both pro leagues.  the players get paid, thus, pro-athletes. 

apples and oranges

minor league hockey and baseball are often the future of the mlb and nhl and the teams are affiliated with real sports teams...thus they have a lot of value

this league is complete garbage and while i could care less if it fails or not i will not wish it luck...i will only laugh at it

MDS

thats the other thing that could work, directly tying in nfl teams with these 'minor league teams.' even having them play at the same stadiums could help.
Zero hour, Michael. It's the end of the line. I'm the firstborn. I'm sick of playing second fiddle. I'm always third in line for everything. I'm tired of finishing fourth. Being the fifth wheel. There are six things I'm mad about, and I'm taking over.

ice grillin you

Quote from: MDS on October 15, 2009, 12:47:16 PM
thats the other thing that could work, directly tying in nfl teams

they already have that...its called the practice squad

MDS

so expand the practice squad and have them play games. youre telling me that wouldnt make any $? not major, but enough.