Golf

Started by stalker, January 29, 2009, 12:42:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

charlie

Anyone who spends that much not knowing if they even want to play more than a week can probably afford it without thinking about it too much.

Unless you plan to go pro or are abnormally tall or short, you don't really ever need to spend more than 300 on a whole set. Then again, i still play on a $130 starter set i bought 5 or 6 years back now, only replacing a putter that I didn't like, and a broken PW.

phattymatty

chances are if you know anyone who plays, they have an old set they'll just give you. i used a zesty free one for a long time before i bought my own clubs.

lessons do help though, 4 classes did more for me than going to the course 20 times and trying to figure it out myself. i still suck big time but even if you're bad it's a fun day of drinking and smoking stogies in the sun. and golf carts.

DH

Quote from: PhillyPhreak54 on May 09, 2011, 02:17:56 PM
Quote from: Rome on May 09, 2011, 01:17:07 PM
Buying cheap clubs is the dumbest idea ever.  Buy a nice set of irons. A nice driver.  A nice putter and a utility wood like a seven.  Then take lessons with a professional.  Most if all, get the farg out of my way when I'm trying to play through.  Or else, motherfarger.

How is it dumb? Especially for someone who hasn't played much? What if he drops $400-600 on a set of irons and never picks a club up after a few rounds?

This is whats going on in my head. I looked at some cheap sets this weekend ($200 range) based solely on brand names I had heard of - Wilson is the only one I can remember now. I think it was something like a 20 piece set complete with the bag and all - aside from maybe replacing with a nice set in a year or so, what would be the negative in buying these? I feel like I remember the one time I went, I had to rent clubs for $40 or something. That said, wouldnt the $200 set make sense? Spending $500+ would be tough since Im not sure Ill even like the game after a few tries.

DH

Quote from: phattymatty on May 09, 2011, 03:09:29 PM
even if you're bad it's a fun day of drinking and smoking stogies in the sun.

This is also whats going on in my head.

charlie

Quote from: DH on May 09, 2011, 03:11:19 PM
Quote from: PhillyPhreak54 on May 09, 2011, 02:17:56 PM
Quote from: Rome on May 09, 2011, 01:17:07 PM
Buying cheap clubs is the dumbest idea ever.  Buy a nice set of irons. A nice driver.  A nice putter and a utility wood like a seven.  Then take lessons with a professional.  Most if all, get the farg out of my way when I'm trying to play through.  Or else, motherfarger.

How is it dumb? Especially for someone who hasn't played much? What if he drops $400-600 on a set of irons and never picks a club up after a few rounds?

This is whats going on in my head. I looked at some cheap sets this weekend ($200 range) based solely on brand names I had heard of - Wilson is the only one I can remember now. I think it was something like a 20 piece set complete with the bag and all - aside from maybe replacing with a nice set in a year or so, what would be the negative in buying these? I feel like I remember the one time I went, I had to rent clubs for $40 or something. That said, wouldnt the $200 set make sense? Spending $500+ would be tough since Im not sure Ill even like the game after a few tries.

I'm sure that set will be fine.

Even with a few lessons you're going to break some clubs in the beginning... the game will piss you off enough as it is, losing 100 on a pitching wedge will only make it worse

Munson

As someone said, just go to the local country club and get lessons from the pros there. I just started working in the pro shop at a club here and you'll spend anywhere from 30-100 bucks on a lesson. $100 is the guy who's a PGA certified pro, then the other to associate pros there charge less.

I used to go driving when I was younger, but now working at the club has be interested in playing. I'll suck but who cares. It's fun to hit the shtein out of the ball.
Quote from: ice grillin you on April 01, 2008, 05:10:48 PM
perhaps you could explain sd's reasons for "disliking" it as well since you seem to be so in tune with other peoples minds

DH

I used to go to the driving range at least once a week in college. Not because i liked golf, I liked swinging the club, kinda like I how I like swinging a baseball bat. After a while, I was able to hit em' straight and at a pretty good distance. How much that translates into actually playing a round, I havent a clue.

Am I right though that if I go to play somewhere without my own clubs, I'd have to pay to rent from the clubhouse? And how much are they usually for a day? Trying to work the math out in my head..

Rome

I've played golf longer than most of your panty sniffers have been out of diapers.

Trust me, get a good set of clubs that you'll be able to use when you get past the lessons & driving range phase.  Go to any golf store that sells used name brand sets and get a good set.

I mean, its not like Die Hard can't farging afford it.

ice grillin you

golf is cool to do on vacation....but is awful on a regular basis...

its overly expensive and not nearly as relaxing as is portrayed
i can take a phrase thats rarely heard...flip it....now its a daily word

igy gettin it done like warrick

im the board pharmacist....always one step above yous

Sgt PSN

I bought a starter set for about $130. 4 years later I still have it. Either go with a starter set or use some rentals from the clubhouse the first few times just to make sure you really enjoy the game. Then if you want to drop coin on a set, go for it.

And def take some lessons and spend a couple hours on the driving range and on the putting greens before you step on the course. 

Rome

Knowing Die Hard I realize he's not an un-athletic spazzoid like most of the rest of you clowns.  Plus he's richer than IGY's baby mama, so he can farging afford good clubs off the bat.  Stop trying to get him into a piece of crap set that he'll be ready to toss in the lake a week after he picks up the game.

PhillyPhreak54

Like I said - find some broke sonofabitch on eBay or Craiglist offloading a good set for a couple hundred.

Eagles_Legendz

Golf is awesome.  It is expensive, but actually playing is one of my favorite things to do.

If you are serious or think you will be about playing semi-regularly, shell out the $$ on good clubs.  If you are just going to farg around to see if you like it, buy a cheap set.

DH

I have access to the West Point Golf Course whenever I want to play, so I'll most likely try to really get into it in hopes that I get decent (or just enjoy it), and maybe get hooked. If I were to get a nice set of clubs, what do I look for? Is there a preferred brand? Things to keep in mind? What if I get a cheap set? What do I want to avoid? Things to keep in mind?

edit: I didn't know golf stores sold used sets..that may be the play.

Diomedes

Quote from: DH on May 09, 2011, 12:29:18 PM
I'm going to be giving this silly little game a shot..I played once, years ago and ended up coming home with only a sunburn. I looked around for clubs this weekend, but I have no idea what Im looking at. I'd like to take lessons, but I dont know how to go about it. Do I just go to a place like Golfsmith and ask all these questions there? Is there a golf site anyone here uses which you'd recommend?

In short, please help.

you disappoint me

f golf
There is considerable overlap between the intelligence of the smartest bears and the dumbest tourists." - Yosemite Park Ranger