Nick Foles, Philadelphia Eagle

Started by PhillyPhreak54, April 27, 2012, 10:38:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SD

Quote from: Eagaholic on October 28, 2014, 08:22:28 AM
You can't go by those statistics and metrics. You have to be able to watch with your own eyes and analyze.

Agreed

He's been under a lot more pressure this season and he doesn't have the run game to keep defenses honest. There's constant pressure up the middle. Last season was a perfect storm for him, he had the best O line in the league, the best RB in the league, was an unknown as was Chip's offense. He just had to play mistake free and put the ball where his receivers could make plays. There were no high % throws. This season the O line is banged up and his running game hasn't taken off, so he's had to shoulder the load. Nick Foles shouldn't be shouldering the load.

ice grillin you

trust me i watch every game at least twice...once being the all 22

other than perhaps the first half in indy.....the oline has been well above average in pass protect all year

other than the obivous physical limitations he has....the thing hurting him most is no desean...or if you hate desean then at least some sort of downfield threat...their deep production has fallen off a cliff
i can take a phrase thats rarely heard...flip it....now its a daily word

igy gettin it done like warrick

im the board pharmacist....always one step above yous

SD

The thing that's hurt him most is the running game, and there's never a pocket for him to throw from. I watch every game twice too, he's been under constant pressure and he's a statue.

Not really sure what your end game is here, aside from J nobody is arguing he's a good QB or that we don't need to go in a new direction.

PhillyPhreak54

Yeah I don't think I am like a super Foles fan or anything - he's got blemishes and issues in his mechanics that need to be cleaned up.

He's had a pocket to step up into and yet he still backpedals. I'd love to sit in on the QB meetings where they look at the film and hear his reasoning for continuously throwing off his back foot.

ice grillin you

by suggesting he hasnt had time to throw is giving him an out...theres really no excuse for him but if you wanna find one it would be that the wr's are not nearly as open as last year as they dont have the room they used to with pimp in the lineup....theres a reason wash leads the nfl in down the field plays even tho they have had horrific qb'ing while the eagles production in that dept has taken a huge hit

eagles have the 4th most pass attempts in the nfl and the fewest sacks allowed...trust me hes had ample time to throw all year

yes their run blocking has been bad...but amazingly that hasnt led to him not having time to throw....hes just been terribly inaccurate and mechanically flawed

phattymatty

regardless of how the line has been this year, one of the reasons he was so good last year was that he was 2 or 3 steps then bam, ball was out. now he taps it so many times, even when the WR is wide open. its really a weird habit to all of a sudden pick up.

SD

Quote from: ice grillin you on October 28, 2014, 08:59:13 AM
by suggesting he hasnt had time to throw is giving him an out

There is no 'out' for him. He's not good. In an offense where he just had to not mess up (last season) he did well. In an offense where there isn't a running game to take pressure off/dominant O line/wide open WRs he can't carry the load.

ice grillin you

Quote from: phattymatty on October 28, 2014, 09:01:15 AM
regardless of how the line has been this year, one of the reasons he was so good last year was that he was 2 or 3 steps then bam, ball was out. now he taps it so many times, even when the WR is wide open. its really a weird habit to all of a sudden pick up.

yeah he is definitely much more hesistant this year causing him to miss a lot of people....matthews was sickenly free and clear on the final play sunday but for some reason he held the ball too long which 1. made it a sideline throw that he sailed cause he was backing up and 2. allowed ertz man to peel off and help....if he just stands in and throws that ball on time its an easy touchdown

rewatching that play makes me ill

General_Failure

If I had to throw deep to Riley Cooper a minimum of twice a game, I'd be hesitant to throw to anyone, too.

I will continue to blame Riley Cooper until he's replaced, even if he did have a good catch in this game.

The man. The myth. The legend.

phattymatty

General_Failure

Right, it was a good Riley Cooper catch.

The man. The myth. The legend.

ice grillin you

from domo:

QuoteNick Foles continues to struggle. He threw two more interceptions last week in the loss to the Cardinals, bringing his season turnover total to 12 (nine interceptions, three lost fumbles. He's 28th in completion percentage (59.2) and 26th in yards per attempt (6.9). His decision-making and footwork both have been inconsistent, even though he's actually been pressured a little less than he was last year. He's been sacked a league-low 7 times. He hasn't been productive in the red zone (70.0 passer rating) or on third down (71.5). When he has been successful on third down, it's usually been on throws to tight end Zack Ertz. Ertz has 24 catches, 14 of which have been on third down.

Eagaholic

Quote from: ice grillin you on October 28, 2014, 09:11:49 AM
Quote from: phattymatty on October 28, 2014, 09:01:15 AM

yeah he is definitely much more hesistant this year causing him to miss a lot of people....matthews was sickenly free and clear on the final play sunday but for some reason he held the ball too long which 1. made it a sideline throw that he sailed cause he was backing up and 2. allowed ertz man to peel off and help....if he just stands in and throws that ball on time its an easy touchdown

rewatching that play makes me ill

I thought that he held the ball longer than almost all of the QBs in the league last year. Granted he did throw a ton of long balls but I think he and Chipper both said it is one of the things he had to work on this season.

ice grillin you

oh he def had this issue last year...but his hesitancy is on another planet this year...and again its not 100% his fault...there arent people running free all over the field this year like they were last year...last year he could hold the ball and have someone running down the field wide open to go to....you seen kkk free this year at all?...last year he was loose a couple times a game it seemed like

Eagles_Legendz

Cooper sucks, agreed, but there have been enough people open.  One of the main problems as I see it is I can probably count on one hand the number of times Foles has willingly thrown a ball out of bounds this year.  Last year he took too many sacks instead of throwing the ball away.  This year he's holding the ball for the same length of time, but instead of throwing it away he's throwing it up for grabs more or just making terrible decisions trying to fit it into windows that aren't there.   Dude would be a significantly better QB if he threw away about 4 more passes a game.