Nick Foles, Philadelphia Eagle

Started by PhillyPhreak54, April 27, 2012, 10:38:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

General_Failure

He's never going to click it, so you might as well spoil the whole thing for him.

Anyway, here's some Washington players talking shtein about Foles for no reason. http://bit.ly/ZJZKJs

The man. The myth. The legend.

PhillyPhreak54

Eagaholic

Rome

I can't believe DeSean said that.  I thought he and Foles were friendly at one point?

ice grillin you

i can take a phrase thats rarely heard...flip it....now its a daily word

igy gettin it done like warrick

im the board pharmacist....always one step above yous

Geowhizzer

Alright, I clicked the link, and all I see is a picture of Foles.  There is a play icon over the picture, but nothing happens when I click it.  Do I actually have to go to the trouble of creating an account to see it?

Diomedes

No.  It ought to just play for you like any other video when you click the arrow.
There is considerable overlap between the intelligence of the smartest bears and the dumbest tourists." - Yosemite Park Ranger

Rome

Quote from: ice grillin you on October 19, 2014, 02:54:26 AM
just shut this board down

It's annoying when motherfargers troll your ass, isn't it?

General_Failure

ice grillin you

Quote from: Rome on October 19, 2014, 08:55:05 AM
Quote from: ice grillin you on October 19, 2014, 02:54:26 AM
just shut this board down

It's annoying when motherfargers troll your ass, isn't it?

not as annoying as nick foles suckling

Rome

Except no one here is doing that whereas you, well, you know...

General_Failure

ice grillin you

QuoteNick Foles is a lesser quarterback this season than last in every meaningful regard, and this must change if the Eagles are to be taken seriously as Super Bowl contenders. These truths are clear when you watch him on the field, when you examine his statistics, when you listen to Chip Kelly fall back on the tired trope Monday of pointing to Foles' win-loss record as an accurate measure of his play and progress.

"What's our record now, 5-2? Nick's 5-2, in my opinion," Kelly said one day after Foles threw two costly interceptions in the Eagles' 24-20 loss to the Arizona Cardinals. "I think you rate your quarterback in terms of how you're winning and how you're losing."

Kelly is too smart, too forward-thinking, to believe this. All he has to do is look down the bench at Mark Sanchez - whom the New York Jets handed a three-year, $40.5 million extension in 2012, based on two appearances in the AFC championship game - to remember the oft-false hope inherent in judging a quarterback solely by his team's success.

Kelly's words are a convenient cover for a quarterback who has committed the second-most turnovers in the NFL, who isn't playing with enough consistency to keep Kelly's offense humming at optimum effectiveness and efficiency, who has developed a bad habit of backpedaling and throwing off his back foot whenever he senses a blitz.

"At times, he probably shouldn't have gone as far," Kelly said. "You feel something coming. You think it's there. You've got to set your feet and take that hit, and there were times he set his feet and took the hit and delivered the ball on time. It's not just one thing."

If it's still an open question as to why the problems with Foles' throwing mechanics developed (Has he taken too many big hits? Is he unsure of what he's seeing from opposing defenses?), there's no doubt about the drop-off in his quality of play. The traditional measures used to gauge quarterbacks - completion percentage, yards per attempt, interception percentage, passer rating - demonstrate as much, but the concern goes beyond those numbers. The statistical and scouting firm Pro Football Focus isn't infallible, but it does an excellent job of going beyond the basics of a box score or a play-by-play sheet to show a player's growth or regression. And make no mistake: Foles has regressed.

Consider:

Pro Football Focus tracks accuracy percentage - a figure that takes dropped passes, spikes, and throwaways into account when judging whether a quarterback delivers the football on target to a receiver. Foles' accuracy percentage last season was 74.2, the sixth-best among all 27 quarterbacks who took at least 50 percent of their teams' dropbacks. This season, it's 67.6, worst in the league.

Foles' deep-passing accuracy in 2013 was 45.5 percent, the seventh-best mark among the 21 QBs who took half their teams' dropbacks. This season, it's 35.1 percent - the 12th-best mark out of 13 ranked quarterbacks so far.

Despite significant injuries to two starters on the Eagles' offensive line, center Jason Kelce and guard Evan Mathis, Foles hasn't seen a marked increase in pass pressure from opposing defenses. In fact, according to Pro Football Focus, defenses have pressured him a bit less frequently this season (33.2 percent of the time) than they did last season (34.3 percent). On average, he's had 2.81 seconds to throw in 2014 - still the sixth-highest time per throw in the league and only a slight recession from last season, when the Eagles' line gave him an average of 3.11 seconds.

Nevertheless, Foles' accuracy when he's been under pressure has plummeted from 68.1 percent last year to 50.0 percent this year. Those downfield overthrows to Jeremy Maclin and Zach Ertz really are happening more frequently. Would Foles' overall accuracy be better if DeSean Jackson were still around? Maybe, but it's difficult to imagine that Jackson's departure is the sole reason for such a pronounced decline.

Look, no one expected, or should have expected, Foles to reproduce what he did last year: the 27 touchdowns, the two interceptions, the Roy Hobbs-like way he played after stepping in for Michael Vick. No one expected him to be that good again, but he has to be better than this. His coach knows it, too, even if he can't say it.

Eagaholic

You can't go by those statistics and metrics. You have to be able to watch with your own eyes and analyze.

ice grillin you

ive watched all the games....hes been BAD