Nick Foles, Philadelphia Eagle

Started by PhillyPhreak54, April 27, 2012, 10:38:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

PhillyPhreak54

When he's got pressure in his face is when he seems to look at the rush and not down field...which isn't entirely bad because I would prefer he take a sack and not throw up some trashy miracle and it end up being picked.

Once he's able to adjust to have the heat up the middle he will be much better. When and if they do get after him Chip needs to be quicker to move the pocket

Tomahawk

I'd rather he keep is eyes downfield. To his credit, Foles doesn't seem to have the gunslinger mentality...might have something to do with his weak arm

Diomedes

My arm is stronger than his arm.  And I'm blacker, too.  For these reasons and especially the latter, the hippos prefer me.
There is considerable overlap between the intelligence of the smartest bears and the dumbest tourists." - Yosemite Park Ranger

shorebird

Yeah, his arm strength leaves a bit to be desired, but he makes up for it with accuracy, and can still get the ball downfield when he sees guys open. McNabb had a cannon, but was inaccurate more than not. Vick, strong arm, but no one will call him an accurate passer. In the short time I've seen Foles, he's twice as accurate as either of the other two.

shorebird

Jaws disagrees with Collingsworth on Foles and how he deals with pass rush

Jaws discusses some of the points just made in this thread.

Quote"I have great respect for Cris Collinsworth," said Jaworski, "but I did not see Nick Foles losing his vision down field. And it's one of the things I've studied on Nick all season long.

Don Ho

Quote from: Tomahawk on December 31, 2013, 11:20:57 AM
I'd rather he keep is eyes downfield. To his credit, Foles doesn't seem to have the gunslinger mentality...might have something to do with his weak arm

Good point.  Imagine what Stafford or Romo would have done on that third down when he just slid down and took the sack to keep the clock running.  Guaranteed disaster.
"Well where does Jack Lord live, or Don Ho?  That's got to be a nice neighborhood"  Jack Singer(Nicholas Cage) in Honeymoon in Vegas.

shorebird

Quote from: Don Ho on December 31, 2013, 05:12:22 PM
Quote from: Tomahawk on December 31, 2013, 11:20:57 AM

Good point.  Imagine what Stafford or Romo would have done on that third down when he just slid down and took the sack to keep the clock running.  Guaranteed disaster.

I agree. What kind of pressure was Orton under when he threw behind Austin on Boykin's int to end the game? You could say he pulled a Romo.

NC_Eagle

I was doing some searching around the net about QBs and arm strength, and came across a CBS article from last year:

Quote"The whole arm strength thing has gotten overplayed," said San Diego quarterback Philip Rivers, "and it starts at the combine, where the 40-yard dash is overdone. I mean, how many times do you get in that kind of stance for a 40-yard straight?

"I think arm strength certainly can help you. The more you have it can help you on certain throws and in tight windows. Ultimately, though, a lot of guys make up for it with timing -- a guy who gets the ball out of his hand quickly or who knows where to go with the football. A lot of times anticipation can make up for a guy who can throw it 80 yards.

"I've always said there's something about being able to put 'zip' on the ball -- a guy who can gun it in a window. That's certainly an asset that some have more than others. But the guy who can throw it 85 yards? I've never seen anyone get an opportunity to throw it that far. Most 'go' routes are caught between 44- and 47 yards; you're not throwing it 65 or 70 yards.

Also found an 99 draft scouting report on Tom Brady:

QuoteTom Brady

Positives: Good height to see the field. Very poised and composed. Smart and alert. Can read coverages. Good accuracy and touch. Produces in big spots and in big games. Has some Brian Griese in him and is a gamer. Generally plays within himself. Team leader.

Negatives: Poor build. Very skinny and narrow. Ended the '99 season weighing 195 pounds and still looks like a rail at 211. Looks a little frail and lacks great physical stature and strength. Can get pushed down more easily than you'd like. Lacks mobility and ability to avoid the rush. Lacks a really strong arm. Can't drive the ball down the field and does not throw a really tight spiral. System-type player who can get exposed if he must ad-lib and do things on his own.

Summary: Is not what you're looking for in terms of physical stature, strength, arm strength and mobility, but he has the intangibles and production and showed great Griese-like improvement as a senior. Could make it in the right system but will not be for everyone.

And from this article. http://insider.espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/10017366/nfl-examining-tom-brady-arm-strength-issues-season

QuoteTake a look at these numbers: Since 2010, Brady ranks 25th out of 31 qualifying quarterbacks in completion percentage on passes over 20 yards in the air. He has hit on just 30.3 percent of those throws.

Arm strength is nice to have, but you can't win championships throwing the ball 80 yards down field. Just look at our backup QB. Joe Montana and Steve Young weren't noted for their long ball, but won plenty of Super Bowls. (OK the team around them helped allot)
Three things can happen when you throw the ball, and two of them are bad.

ice grillin you

a weak arm can also get you out of the league in a few years or prevent you from ever winning a superbowl

also steve young had an excellent arm
i can take a phrase thats rarely heard...flip it....now its a daily word

igy gettin it done like warrick

im the board pharmacist....always one step above yous

Eagaholic

a weak arm sets you up for ints, especially in bad weather. if you have a strong arm like Tony Romo you have to find other ways.

shorebird

Well, if it's not a weak arm, then it must be just stupidity, or being  gutless that sets Romo up for those late game, late season int's.

Tomahawk

Even with his noodle arm, I begrudgingly have jumped on the Nickfoleon Dynamite bandwagon...for now.

ice grillin you

his arm shouldnt not put you on his bandwagon....the guy has been above and beyond

the question is can his weak arm and lack of mobility truly elevate this offense to where it could or should be

in other words if foles is your qb of the future are you settling
i can take a phrase thats rarely heard...flip it....now its a daily word

igy gettin it done like warrick

im the board pharmacist....always one step above yous

Tomahawk

Yes, you're settling for where the offense could be, but not necessarily where it should be (if that makes sense). The kind of QB to take this offense to the next level is a rare breed. Maybe I'm just happy to see a qb who can actually anticipate where the receiver will be, but I don't see the position to be the glaring need that I thought it was at the beginning of the season. It's hard to be completely sold, though, since he's only had one good season. If the Eagles win the Super Bowl this year, Nick Foles forever.

General_Failure

I'm not really sure what more you want from this offense. They were fourth in points, second in yards, as balanced as you could ever hope for, and even played well in bad weather. Unless you're looking for some Peyton Manning bullshtein-never-gonna-happen-again numbers, they're about as elevated as they can be.

The man. The myth. The legend.