The Sports Media Thread

Started by ice grillin you, October 21, 2009, 09:08:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

MDS

who cares about any of this

cole hamels goes home to his money and fake boobed wife. hes fine.
Zero hour, Michael. It's the end of the line. I'm the firstborn. I'm sick of playing second fiddle. I'm always third in line for everything. I'm tired of finishing fourth. Being the fifth wheel. There are six things I'm mad about, and I'm taking over.

Sgt PSN

Quote from: SunMo on April 18, 2011, 12:13:22 PM
he couldnt understand that when a pitcher gives up seven runs in three innings against your arch rival you priobably arent going to get cheered when you come out of the game...it was a reaction to the performance at that specific moment

guess what

i bet when nicole tosses a gem he gets cheered coming out of the game

I really don't understand why people see it in any way other than ^^this^^. 

Hamels was amazing in 08 and led the team to the WFC.  That's great and all, but it doesn't give him a free pass to play poorly and not get criticized for it.  And it's not like the fans boo him harder than anyone else.  There's no real Hamels hate going on in Philly and it's not like I read a lot of articles that are bashing him or hearing callers consistantly calling him out.  I can all but assure you that if Hamels were more consistant that he'd catch a little less flack when he does have a bad start.  But the truth is that you really don't know what you're going to get out of him from 1 start to the next.  You know with Doc and Lee that you are going to get a solid performance 9 out of 10 times, but even in their bad start they still aren't going to get shelled very often.  If Hamels wasn't so up and down I bet the fans would go a little easy on him on his off days. 

SunMo

Quote from: Sgt PSN on April 18, 2011, 01:17:54 PM

Hamels was amazing in 08 and led the team to the WFC.  That's great and all, but it doesn't give him a free pass to play poorly and not get criticized for it.  And it's not like the fans boo him harder than anyone else.  There's no real Hamels hate going on in Philly and it's not like I read a lot of articles that are bashing him or hearing callers consistantly calling him out.  I can all but assure you that if Hamels were more consistant that he'd catch a little less flack when he does have a bad start.  But the truth is that you really don't know what you're going to get out of him from 1 start to the next.  You know with Doc and Lee that you are going to get a solid performance 9 out of 10 times, but even in their bad start they still aren't going to get shelled very often.  If Hamels wasn't so up and down I bet the fans would go a little easy on him on his off days. 

actually, it farging does give him that right....especially when it's his first farging game of the season. 

that first line goes right to the unappreciatve cvnt bags that you are all being

yeah, that championship was nice and all.
I'm the Anti-Christ. You got me in a vendetta kind of mood.

ice grillin you

he has no rights whatsoever....except the right to part his hair down the middle and feather it...and do embarrassing magazine shoots

if nicole is so tough then im sure a little booing after shteinting the bed against the mets wont hurt her
i can take a phrase thats rarely heard...flip it....now its a daily word

igy gettin it done like warrick

im the board pharmacist....always one step above yous

Sgt PSN

It was great.  He was great.  He's one of my guys.  But if he plays like ass, he gets booed.  Jimmy won an MVP.  Choke has hit more hr's than anyone in baseball over the last 5 or 6 years.  They get booed when they suck too.  Too many people associate booing with hatred or something and that's not necessarily the case.   

MDS

so by sunmos logic, everyone on the 08 team a lifetime free pass from everything.

i didnt know this was st louis
Zero hour, Michael. It's the end of the line. I'm the firstborn. I'm sick of playing second fiddle. I'm always third in line for everything. I'm tired of finishing fourth. Being the fifth wheel. There are six things I'm mad about, and I'm taking over.

SunMo

no, just NLCS and WS MVPs, but i get it.  cole can win 15 starts in a row with 10 shutouts and it's fair to boo him on the 16th start if he gives up 3 runs.

btw, that's the mentality of the bandwagon cherry hill douchebag fans who started watching 2007, congrats on that.
I'm the Anti-Christ. You got me in a vendetta kind of mood.

charlie

Hamels was amazing in 08 and led the team to the WFC.  That's great and all, but it doesn't give him a free pass to play poorly and not get criticized for it.  And it's not like the fans boo him harder than anyone else.  There's no real Hamels hate going on in Philly and it's not like I read a lot of articles that are bashing him or hearing callers consistantly calling him out.  I can all but assure you that if Hamels were more consistant that he'd catch a little less flack when he does have a bad start.  But the truth is that you really don't know what you're going to get out of him from 1 start to the next.  You know with Doc and Lee that you are going to get a solid performance 9 out of 10 times, but even in their bad start they still aren't going to get shelled very often.  If Hamels wasn't so up and down I bet the fans would go a little easy on him on his off days.  

Take away both of their best years respectively (2008, WS MVP/Cy Young) You do realize that since and including the 2009 season, Hamels has (slightly) better numbers than Lee in most major categories? They really are not all that different.

I am not slighting either pitcher there. Just pointing out the borderline retarded perception generated by the boneheaded mcfaddens dwellers.

charlie

Quote from: ice grillin you on April 18, 2011, 01:39:39 PM
he has no rights whatsoever....except the right to part his hair down the middle and feather it...and do embarrassing magazine shoots

if nicole is so tough then im sure a little booing after shteinting the bed against the mets wont hurt her

Considering how he's pitched since, it probably hasn't.

ice grillin you

Quote from: charlie on April 18, 2011, 01:50:16 PM
Quote from: ice grillin you on April 18, 2011, 01:39:39 PM

Considering how he's pitched since, it probably hasn't.

and it shouldnt...if you cant take a little booing after maybe the worst start of your career against the farging mets of all teams then you dont belong....but its not nicole complaining about it...its a small segment of fans and mostly parts of the media that are all bent out of shape about it...christ all mighty its philadelphia....

you dont want booing then be a fan of the devil rays....or christ even a great sports city like cleveland where the indians have gotten off to a great start have had SIX games already with an attendance of under 10,000

if you suck really bad in philadelphia they are most likely going to let you know...live with it or root for elsewhere

it should also be noted that nicole is not well liked for how good of a player he is so who the player is in this case factors in....but you simply cant come back from that magazine shoot he did...thats pretty much a print version of lindros bawling at the nhl awards banquet...its hard to ever fully come out of a hole like that....no one is rooting against him and if he plays well hes gonna get huge cheers but hes just not the kind of guy fans are ever going to warm up too and that will get him more boos than a lot of other players when he performs poorly
i can take a phrase thats rarely heard...flip it....now its a daily word

igy gettin it done like warrick

im the board pharmacist....always one step above yous

Sgt PSN

Quote from: charlie on April 18, 2011, 01:49:21 PM

Take away both of their best years respectively (2008, WS MVP/Cy Young) You do realize that since and including the 2009 season, Hamels has (slightly) better numbers than Lee in most major categories? They really are not all that different.

I am not slighting either pitcher there. Just pointing out the borderline retarded perception generated by the boneheaded mcfaddens dwellers.

If Lee had more time in a Phillies uniform, I'd buy into what you're selling.  But he had less than a half season in 09, a great postseason and then was gone all of 2010.  I'm not going to compare his 2009 Cleveland and 2010 Seattle/Tex #'s simply for the fact that I don't care what he did with other teams.  Not to mention that he's pitching in different types of ballparks, facing deeper AL lineups and with the exception of Tex, was playing for crappy teams. 

The numbers may be similar, but pretty much anyone with a pulse knows there is a pretty serious difference between the 2.  Maybe it's mental, maybe it's ability, maybe one just throws better stuff.  Maybe it's all 3.  But Hamels hasn't pitched consistently on the same level as Lee for any extended period of time. 

Munson

SunMo's mistake in all this is taking the booing that Hamels got as some sort of "hate" for Hamels. The fans there weren't hating on Hamels, they were booing a poor performance and it was definately not a hate-filled boo....it was more of a "Dude what the hell you're better than this garbage" boo

Philly fans are smart and they don't boo just to boo (well, most of the time)
Quote from: ice grillin you on April 01, 2008, 05:10:48 PM
perhaps you could explain sd's reasons for "disliking" it as well since you seem to be so in tune with other peoples minds

charlie

Quote from: Sgt PSN on April 18, 2011, 02:51:21 PM
Quote from: charlie on April 18, 2011, 01:49:21 PM

If Lee had more time in a Phillies uniform, I'd buy into what you're selling.  But he had less than a half season in 09, a great postseason and then was gone all of 2010.  I'm not going to compare his 2009 Cleveland and 2010 Seattle/Tex #'s simply for the fact that I don't care what he did with other teams.  Not to mention that he's pitching in different types of ballparks, facing deeper AL lineups and with the exception of Tex, was playing for crappy teams. 

The numbers may be similar, but pretty much anyone with a pulse knows there is a pretty serious difference between the 2.  Maybe it's mental, maybe it's ability, maybe one just throws better stuff.  Maybe it's all 3.  But Hamels hasn't pitched consistently on the same level as Lee for any extended period of time. 

Fine, but you cant cherry pick when when you judge them from. You want to judge 6 weeks in 2009, and then skip all of 2010 and then 3 starts into 2011?

The fact is, you say you know what your getting when you have Lee on the mound vs the "inconstancy" of hamels, where they are virtually the same pitcher at the end of the day. Slighting Hamels for the same thing you praise Lee for is exactly the perception created by a slightly whiney voice, and ill advised photo shoot...and not based on any kind of realistic baseball world.

Oh.. i personally don't care if he was booed in one game.

Sgt PSN

Yes, I'm only judging Lee on what I've seen him do for the Phils, which is what, maybe 20 total starts?  I'll gladly compare Hamels and Lee during just that timeframe.  Maybe I'm right or maybe I'm wrong. Not sure without checking the stats.

But I do know that in the 4 or 5 years that I've seen Hamels I've seen a lot of inconsistancy. Greatness on start and total suck the next. Haven't seen the same from Lee in the brief time he's been with the Phils.  Maybe it's unfair to compare, but I am.

charlie

It's not unfair, it's stupid. But whatever.