The Sports Media Thread

Started by ice grillin you, October 21, 2009, 09:08:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

PhillyPhreak54

Is she still with WIP?

And what exactly is she an insider of? What is her expertise?

And apparently the Gonzo piece was directed mainly at Murphy and his High Cheese blog because Murphy tweeted some crap earlier too

Munson

I wonder what CSN higher up she let insider to get that job.

hiyyyooo
Quote from: ice grillin you on April 01, 2008, 05:10:48 PM
perhaps you could explain sd's reasons for "disliking" it as well since you seem to be so in tune with other peoples minds

PhillyPhreak54

Oh shtein

back and forth between Gonzo and Murphy

Down goes Murphy!

QuoteJohn Gonzalez

There's the failure of your career, @highcheese – the fact that, despite being a beat writer, you've never broken a story. (Does your check direct deposit into Zolecki's account?)

PhillyPhreak54

QuoteJohn Gonzalez
And there's that time you failed to get a local female sportscaster to go home with you. You remember....

...she kicked you out of the cab and left you standing with your shriveled dick in hand.

But, hey, I didn't make it on the radio. So score that one for you.

Munson

Haha goddamn, these dudes don't like each other very much eh?

QuoteDavid Murphy

I'd like to apologize for my earlier Tweet. It was immature of me to mock a guy who has made it clear that he does not expect, nor even desire, to be taken seriously. Rather than accept him for who he is -- an irrelevant voice whose column shares space with the daily sports cartoon -- I made the mistake of taking the easy way out and focusing on his various professional inadequacies. I should have just said this: We are in the business of fairness, and it doesn't get more unfair than publicly accusing a writer of having contempt for his readership. Unlike the Lorax, I do not believe a fan base to be a homogenous group of people whose thinking and behavior can be neatly generalized for the express purpose of writing a simpleton column. I believe the majority of fans are rational individuals with a beautifully irrational love for their teams, people who have the ability to process critical thoughts on their own, people who do not need to be told how to feel by a columnist who has a latent inferiority complex and an eighth-grader's grasp of the English language. The only people for whom I hold contempt are hack wannabe writers who invent stories for the express purpose of taking a pandering viewpoint. Please accept this apology. <br/>

I like Murphy for no other real reason than I enjoy when he's on DNL
Quote from: ice grillin you on April 01, 2008, 05:10:48 PM
perhaps you could explain sd's reasons for "disliking" it as well since you seem to be so in tune with other peoples minds

MDS

yikes

keep in mind the dn and inqy are owned by the same companies. the papers are like down here and, while each one talks shtein on the other at times, im pretty sure heads would roll at the corporate if anyone ever went public with the bullshtein.

just not professional or smart...its like teammates blasting teammates and it detracts from what youre covering, as you and your name calling are now the story. were never supposed to become the story. but i guess you gotta do what you gotta do to sell papers and thats what gonzo is doing. fonzie should know better. 
Zero hour, Michael. It's the end of the line. I'm the firstborn. I'm sick of playing second fiddle. I'm always third in line for everything. I'm tired of finishing fourth. Being the fifth wheel. There are six things I'm mad about, and I'm taking over.

PhillyPhreak54

It's interesting to say the least.

I side with Gonzo here, at least in his column. I don't know what Murphy said about the booing but him and Gelb have always struck me as smartasses.

Even Dan Gross is taking shots now

MDS

gelb i think is pretty good

the smug part you might be getting, and i hate to sound bitter over this, but both of those guys didnt do much of in the way of working themselves up in the business. no stops in brownsville. no multi-year stints on the copy desk and prep beats. both pretty much stepped in and started covering the phillies. usually in this line of work you got to put your time in either smaller towns or on the lower rung stuff of the big shops before an opening arrives.  some of us (that be me) probably arent good enough to get past that.

and again i really like the way gelb writes. his gamers arent so much about the game but about a key play or moment combined with offering insight to the locker room post game scene or something he saw on the field. i.e. something we cant pick up from watching on tv. murph is in depth as hell but he comes off as a giant smug dick and hasnt really broken anything which leads you to believe hes not a great reporter/great at dealing with people and cultivating sources. and on the other hand, he was right about gonzo--he doesnt take himself seriously and neither does anybody else. but, to a point, gonzos job is to get people talking. hes doing that, probably with encouragement from upstairs or in the least no one is telling him to stop.
Zero hour, Michael. It's the end of the line. I'm the firstborn. I'm sick of playing second fiddle. I'm always third in line for everything. I'm tired of finishing fourth. Being the fifth wheel. There are six things I'm mad about, and I'm taking over.

ice grillin you

theres been a movement in town to criticize booing lately...ever since hamels got booed coming off the field after his mets debacle...gargano talked about it all last week...its sickening

and how much would you pay for one shot at gonzo....got i would love to put that Hoyda to sleep
i can take a phrase thats rarely heard...flip it....now its a daily word

igy gettin it done like warrick

im the board pharmacist....always one step above yous

PhillyPhreak54

Was Gargano for or against the booing?

And did SunMo call WIP and admonish the booing supporters for being mean to his boy?

ice grillin you

he was killing the fans for it

SunMo

no, i realize it's pointless to try and convince the rockhead tough guys that just because cole has a funny voice and is from socal that he's not a Hoyda.

it's ok, i'll continue to support the only pitcher in 25 years to bring a title to the city...you and the other tough guys can show tough you are by booing him
I'm the Anti-Christ. You got me in a vendetta kind of mood.

PhillyPhreak54

"aww cuz you're killin' me! Ya don't boo a guy who was the world series em vee pee! You just don't do it!"

When did he turn softy?

charlie

Quote from: PhillyPhreak54 on April 18, 2011, 12:30:20 AM
It's interesting to say the least.

I side with Gonzo here, at least in his column. I don't know what Murphy said about the booing but him and Gelb have always struck me as smartasses.

Even Dan Gross is taking shots now

Murphy didnt really say anything about the booing, he just said Gonzalez has no talent. Which he is right.

ice grillin you

Quote from: PhillyPhreak54 on April 18, 2011, 12:13:52 PM
"aww cuz you're killin' me! Ya don't boo a guy who was the world series em vee pee! You just don't do it!"

When did he turn softy?

its only with the phils....hes out of control with his over the top homerism of them right now...its just a phase hes going thru

he couldnt understand that when a pitcher gives up seven runs in three innings against your arch rival you priobably arent going to get cheered when you come out of the game...it was a reaction to the performance at that specific moment

guess what

i bet when nicole tosses a gem he gets cheered coming out of the game