The Sports Media Thread

Started by ice grillin you, October 21, 2009, 09:08:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sgt PSN

Quote from: ice grillin you on April 11, 2011, 09:38:15 AM
lol why do people hate him so much

His Homecoming shows are pretty cheesy, but other than that, I don't get the hate either.  He's middle of the road to me.  Not great, not terrible.  Just kind of meh. 

MDS

hes a hack

on a number of occasions hes written re-written one of his columns and tried to pass to off as new.
he makes more 300000x more money than the average sports writer and works 3000000x less hard.
how hard it is? ooo cancer kid still plays little league. bla bla bla let me go play 18 at riviera.
Zero hour, Michael. It's the end of the line. I'm the firstborn. I'm sick of playing second fiddle. I'm always third in line for everything. I'm tired of finishing fourth. Being the fifth wheel. There are six things I'm mad about, and I'm taking over.

Diomedes

I think it's the cult of personality that attends him.  He's not a sportswriter...he's Rick Reilly.

And that just turns a lot of people into haters
There is considerable overlap between the intelligence of the smartest bears and the dumbest tourists." - Yosemite Park Ranger

MDS

rumor going around is mike mayock will replace theismann and millen on nfl networks games

and thank god
Zero hour, Michael. It's the end of the line. I'm the firstborn. I'm sick of playing second fiddle. I'm always third in line for everything. I'm tired of finishing fourth. Being the fifth wheel. There are six things I'm mad about, and I'm taking over.

Munson

Jesus Christ has John Smallwood always been this huge? On the old DNL sets behind the desk he always looked a little chubby or chunky....but he looks morbidly obese on the new set where you can see his whole body.
Quote from: ice grillin you on April 01, 2008, 05:10:48 PM
perhaps you could explain sd's reasons for "disliking" it as well since you seem to be so in tune with other peoples minds

Don Ho

Quote from: MDS on April 13, 2011, 04:59:27 PM
rumor going around is mike mayock will replace theismann and millen on nfl networks games

and thank god

shtein, he looks like he could be Goodell's son or brother.

"Well where does Jack Lord live, or Don Ho?  That's got to be a nice neighborhood"  Jack Singer(Nicholas Cage) in Honeymoon in Vegas.

Don Ho

I'd take Wheels over Theismann.
"Well where does Jack Lord live, or Don Ho?  That's got to be a nice neighborhood"  Jack Singer(Nicholas Cage) in Honeymoon in Vegas.

QB Eagles

I'm pretty sure I would prefer harsh static squealing out of my TV speakers during the game than listen to those two again.  NFLN did the impossible and found a worse booth guy than Theismann, and then for extra shteins and giggles they paired him with Theismann. I have to admit that there is some entertainment quality in witnessing a horrible train wreck, but that's about all they deliver. They manage to make the preseason ETN coverage with Herm Edwards sound professional.

Munson

NFLN really did do the impossible if they were able to pair Thiesmann with Thiesmann. bastiches are breaking cloning laws just to make thursday night games unbearable.
Quote from: ice grillin you on April 01, 2008, 05:10:48 PM
perhaps you could explain sd's reasons for "disliking" it as well since you seem to be so in tune with other peoples minds

ice grillin you

Quote from: QB Eagles on April 13, 2011, 07:45:16 PM
I'm pretty sure I would prefer harsh static squealing out of my TV speakers during the game than listen to those two again.  NFLN did the impossible and found a worse booth guy than Theismann, and then for extra shteins and giggles they paired him with Theismann. I have to admit that there is some entertainment quality in witnessing a horrible train wreck, but that's about all they deliver. They manage to make the preseason ETN coverage with Herm Edwards sound professional.

herm and hugh douglas are the worst ive ever heard...i mean worse than any espnu field hockey broadcast....difference is the other guys are doing a regular season game of
the week broadcast on a station named after the league itself so you expect way more....but they are one million times better than H&H
i can take a phrase thats rarely heard...flip it....now its a daily word

igy gettin it done like warrick

im the board pharmacist....always one step above yous

PhillyPhreak54

I believe Smallwood has been fighting severe health problems lately which may explain his weight gain.

charlie

Quote from: PhillyPhreak54 on April 13, 2011, 09:34:18 PM
I believe Smallwood has been fighting severe health problems lately which may explain his weight gain.

It's probably the other way around.

PhillyPhreak54

QuoteGonzoSpread your wings and fly, boo birds

Posted: 04/17/2011 8:09 PM
By John Gonzalez
Inquirer Columnist
A segment of the local media doesn't think much of you. It's true. There's a faction that believes fan is a dirty word. That's what all the recent debate over etiquette really means, though many of my contemporaries would never admit it.

No, they like to polish their criticism and package it as free advice - a present from them to you about how to act in certain situations. They're absolutely certain they know how to comport themselves - but they don't believe you do, so they're happy to explain it for your edification. You're evidently simple and could use the help. Take notes and follow their rules, and maybe they'll admit you to their fan finishing school.

At least Howard Eskin has the guts to cut the pretense and call you nitwits and dopes.

Over the last few weeks, there have been quite a few words written about booing - when you can and can't do it and whether you need to be provided with express, written consent beforehand. Judging by all the space dedicated to your unthinkable, inexcusable, oh-so-naughty behavior - tsk, tsk - I suspect some of the local scribblers would like to smack you with a misconduct penalty and put you in the fan penalty box for an indefinite period.

Let's review: After Cole Hamels had a poor first outing of the season, a story was published bemoaning those who booed the performance. When the Flyers failed to score against the Sabres and lost Game 1 of their playoff series, a piece was published that questioned the fan reaction by repeating one simple question: "Why boo?" And, not to be left out, former governor turned columnist Ed Rendell crafted a handy guide that outlines when it's appropriate to boo and when you should stay quiet. (Expect a pocket-size travel version to hit newsstands any day now. You might want to buy in bulk and hand them out as gifts around the holidays.)

Oh, and Greg Dobbs got booed over the weekend, too. That should occupy us for at least a week.

It should be noted that I like and respect the people who wrote those stories, even though the former governor called me a contrarian. (That's ridiculous. I look forward to arguing that point with him.) But I bristle when media members - and it isn't just the print guys; TV reporters and radio hosts do it all the time - tell the general public how to act. It can come off as though they think they're better or smarter than the average person.

That's part of the problem. Many media types I know hold the fans in contempt. It's sad when, say, a cheese-heavy local baseball blogger thinks he knows it all but fails to see himself for what he is: a glorified stenographer with a bloated ego and a sweet gig. It's the misguided elitism that rankles. Reporters don't consume sports the same way fans do, and few of them have made much of an effort to understand your perspective.

What the finger-waggers too often fail to grasp is that not all boos are equal. Among many others, there's the we-hate-you boo, which is very different from the that-was-a-poor-performance boo (lobbed at Hamels) or the we're-frustrated-at-the-

moment boo (directed at the Flyers in Game 1). The first boo is venomous and lasting and usually reserved for vile enemies of the state - or New Yorkers. The second and third boos are visceral and fleeting. They're ways to think out loud and vent in real time. They aren't big deals, and you don't deserve to be put in a timeout or sent to bed without supper whenever you employ them.

So boo if that's your thing. Boo individual performances and underperforming players. Boo disappointing team efforts and lackluster seasons. Boo writers and TV talking heads and radio personalities. Boo friends and family. Heck, boo me (though you probably don't need any added encouragement on that front). Boo whomever you like. Or don't. It's up to you. Just don't let anyone dictate the terms of your passion. They aren't you, and they shouldn't pretend that they always know what's right.

One last point: Context is important. Let's not forget where all this supposedly unsavory conduct occurs. We don't live in St. Paul, Minn., or St. Louis. The fans there are Stepford automatons, blinking and cheering and slobbering on cue. It's frightening.

Many of the people here take pride in being the opposite of the typical mindless water-and-sprout mutants filling seats in stadiums across the country. Philadelphians have long seen themselves as open, honest brokers - fans who will tell you exactly what they're thinking instead of what you might want to hear. There's no expectation of unwarranted and reflexive support. There's no phony posturing. There's no pretending. The players might not always like it, but they know the deal - and they don't need to be protected by the mind-your-manners mob [\quote]

Gonzo dead on point.

Don Ho

BigEd76

Rhea Hughes was hired by CSN to be the full-time host of their online 12:30 weekday show and is now considered an "insider" along with Frank, Panaccio, Lynam, Salisbury and Didinger