The Sports Media Thread

Started by ice grillin you, October 21, 2009, 09:08:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

MDS

because hes the best analyst in the sport
Zero hour, Michael. It's the end of the line. I'm the firstborn. I'm sick of playing second fiddle. I'm always third in line for everything. I'm tired of finishing fourth. Being the fifth wheel. There are six things I'm mad about, and I'm taking over.

PoopyfaceMcGee

Sgt PSN

Your signature calls are pretty awesome too.  Except they cost you $3.99/minute.

Sgt PSN

I guess this thread works for this. 

Saw last night that the first 15 episodes of 30 for 30 are now available in a box set.  Also watched the Fab Five doc again and it's insane how much they impacted not only college ball but our culture in general.  But I think that they left a lot of C-Webb's dirt under the rug though.  Jalen was the only one who was relatively upfront about it.  Still though, it was fairly well done.  And even after watching it a 2nd time, I still don't understand why everyone got so worked up about Rose's Duke/Grant Hill comments.  The guy could not have been any more clear that he was speaking in the context of how he felt at the time......as a 18 year old kid from Detroit. 

ice grillin you

the fact that he supposedly felt that way at the time must have been a talking point put out by someone because its been rammed into the ground non stop and it completely whiffs

first you thing you must know about all this is that jalen rose is the executive producer of the documentary...thats key

hes a smart guy...yeah he might have felt this way 20 years ago and maybe he still does...but he had plenty of time to measure his (recorded) words...words that could have been edited even...and yet he intentionally chose to use an incredibly offensive term to describe ALL black duke basketball players...

there were dozens of different ways he could have worded his hatred of duke at the time...he went with the most despicable way possible by using a word that is much more offensive to blacks than the n bomb....so while he might have hated duke when he was 18 he was 40 when he used the words he did....he knew what he was doing and got his intended result

its amazing how many people think the words he said were on tape from back then or something
i can take a phrase thats rarely heard...flip it....now its a daily word

igy gettin it done like warrick

im the board pharmacist....always one step above yous

SunMo

he could have used different words, yes.  but he was describing his mindset at the time.  i don't think he ever said that this is how he still feels.
I'm the Anti-Christ. You got me in a vendetta kind of mood.

Sgt PSN

Quote from: SunMo on April 04, 2011, 03:41:28 PM
he could have used different words, yes.  but he was describing his mindset at the time.  i don't think he ever said that this is how he still feels.

That's my point.  Since the doc came out, he's gone out of his way to not only say that he doesn't feel that way today, but that he wants the same life for his kids that guys like Grant Hill had growing up.

And sure, he could have worded it differently and maybe more "delicately", but farg that......it was a documentary, not some after school special.  So I want to know exactly what he thought and felt at the time.  I'm surprised that igy of all people wouldn't want a documentary to be as real as possible. 

ice grillin you

there were 1000 different words he could have used to described how he felt at the time...he used by far the most offensive he could have for the shock value...like i said he got exactly what he wanted out of all this...which is free promotion for a product of which he was the excecutive producer of

how he felt at the time is completely irrelevant in the discussion....if in the documentary there was a video clip from 1992 of jalen rose saying he hated duke and all their uncle tom negros then this wouldnt be a story

but it wasnt....it was a 40 year old jalen rose using those words in a scripted premeditated piece...you wanna use those words by all means you have that right...but then dont act surprised when it offends

MDS

also lost in all of this is how the fab five did dick for the culture of college hoops

say hello to hoya paranoia and the runnin rebs. farging john thompson runnin a bunch of corner boys in upper class white dc school + ghetto ass thugs from unlv dominating the country >>>>> jalen rose and his soft ass loser squad that never won anything

on top of that jimmy king, who is from plano, a rich white suburb of dallas, is running his mouth about the uncle tom stuff. what a joke of a human being. rose grew up in the hood, he was ignorant at the time for a reason. but king? bullshtein.
Zero hour, Michael. It's the end of the line. I'm the firstborn. I'm sick of playing second fiddle. I'm always third in line for everything. I'm tired of finishing fourth. Being the fifth wheel. There are six things I'm mad about, and I'm taking over.

ice grillin you

none of them were hood except jalen

and yeah lots of revisionist history regarding the cultural impact of the fab five...but thats what documentaries do...comes with the territory

as for on the court they never even won a conference title...in fact one year they finished 5th in a not great big ten

MDS

c webb was about to go to duke, too

i mean the doc was well done but it was so incredibly one-sided. and somehow that got lost in all the build up was an espn employee putting together a show for espn about himself and his buddies. ummmm yea watch fox news much?

ice grillin you

PhillyPhreak54

Someone please pull the plug on Rick Reilly. Please!

Yo Feva - can you drop a camera on his face next time he's in Bristol?

MDS

it was such a FU to sports illustrated signing by espn. no chance they re-up with him next round.

ice grillin you

lol why do people hate him so much