The Sports Media Thread

Started by ice grillin you, October 21, 2009, 09:08:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

PhillyPhreak54

Yeah, when was the last time he penned a great article? Hell, when is the last time he wrote a good article or column?

He's horrible.

ice grillin you

he wrote good shtein until the day he left sports illustrated...which was what...a couple years ago?

hes dumbed down on espn of course as everyone is
i can take a phrase thats rarely heard...flip it....now its a daily word

igy gettin it done like warrick

im the board pharmacist....always one step above yous

ice grillin you

is anyone watching sportscenter...steve levy's hair is AMAZING

ice grillin you

CBS Might Relay Northeast Sports Talkers Via 106.7 & 105.7 - 12/29 - DCRTV hears that CBS Radio is giving serious thought to relaying its NYC (WFAN), Philadelphia (WIP), Baltimore (WJZ-FM), and/or Boston (WBZ-FM) sports talkers on the digital HD Radio subchannels of DC's WJFK, 106.7 The Fan, come early 2010. Ditto with like relays, including WJFK, via the HD Radio subchannels of Baltimore's 105.7 The Fan. Stay tuned.....

can someone put the above in laymans terms

what are hd subchannels
for that matter what is hd radio
i didnt know there was hd radio
how do you get
would you get it if you had xm/sirius

Sgt PSN

MDS

that was actually kind of cool
Zero hour, Michael. It's the end of the line. I'm the firstborn. I'm sick of playing second fiddle. I'm always third in line for everything. I'm tired of finishing fourth. Being the fifth wheel. There are six things I'm mad about, and I'm taking over.

ice grillin you

maybe if it wasnt first done in 2002

even you dont know what that paragraph means lil guy?

MDS

basically it means if you have hd radio in dc then those sports talk stations will be on 106.7 and 105.7. which is pretty cool.
Zero hour, Michael. It's the end of the line. I'm the firstborn. I'm sick of playing second fiddle. I'm always third in line for everything. I'm tired of finishing fourth. Being the fifth wheel. There are six things I'm mad about, and I'm taking over.

ice grillin you

Quote from: MDS on December 29, 2009, 05:03:53 PM
basically it means if you have hd radio in dc then those sports talk stations will be on 106.7 and 105.7. which is pretty cool.

what are subchannels

and what is hd radio...is it radio that you get only with a special hd receiver

and does that include an xm receiver

MDS

i have no idea what subchannels are.

i have to imagine hd radio is radio with a great signal ala hd tv is tv with a great picture.

i dont know

throw this to the tech geeks, not the media geek.

Seabiscuit36

I dont have HD radio, mostly because i'm not gonna buy a new radio.  But the subchannels are probably like HDTV Subchannels you get over antenna that have 6ABC weather radar, and tv newscast replays.  Radio has most likely employed the samething.  HDRadio was supposed to make XM/Sirius lose subscriptions, but the media morons just dont understand that no one cares about the quality, its the commercials and crap they play that ruins listeners
"For all the civic slurs, for all the unsavory things said of the Philadelphia fans, also say this: They could teach loyalty to a dog. Their capacity for pain is without limit." -Bill Lyons

ice grillin you

The ratings news on the Fenway Park Classic between the Boston Bruins and Philadelphia Flyers has puckheads stunned and a little depressed today:

NBC earned a 2.6 overnight Nielsen rating for the Flyers-Bruins Bridgestone NHL Winter Classic on Friday, down 10.3% from a 2.9 for the Red Wings-Blackhawks matchup last year, and even with the inaugural Penguins-Sabres Winter Classic in '08. The 2.6 overnight still marks the second-best NHL regular-season rating since '96.

So they've got that going for them, which is nice.

The fans' depression comes from the fact that the Fenway Classic had been universally endorsed as a success by viewers and pundits alike, with sports media critic Bruce Dowbiggin of the Globe & Mail calling it "a benchmark for televised sports." The ratings drop takes some of the shine off the NHL's TV jewel, but overreaction to this news has been rampant and misplaced.

Remain calm, all is well; here are a few reasons why the 2010 Winter Classic ratings drop isn't time for panic.

1. The matchup was problematic

As Dowbiggin acknowledged, the Flyers and Bruins battle "was a lot of light, but not much heat." Lack of offense and excitement for the first 57 minutes made this the least impressive of the three Classic games. The fact that neither team has played up to its potential this season provided its own marketing challenges before the game.

As usual for the NHL, local ratings are an engine for national ratings. According to Puck the Media, Boston held up its end of the bargain in overnights:

Boston is certainly not at fault, as the game drew a staggering 14.4/29 in the market.  By comparison, the Red Sox averaged a 9.4 rating in Boston for regular season games, with a 17.9 for the team's home opener, while the Celtics a 4.1 in the regular season, and a 16.1 for their highest-rated post-season game.  One final comparison, the 14.4 is higher than the 14.2 NESN drew for Game 7 of Bruins-Hurricanes.

But in Philadelphia, it was a different story, as Laura Nachman reports (via Sports Media Watch):

Penn State won the big battle on New Year's Day as its victory over LSU in the Capital One Bowl earned a 10 rating/19 share for 6ABC. The Mummers Parade on myPHL17 strutted to second place with a 6 rating/12 share, and the Winter Classic featuring the Flyers was third with a 6 rating/11 share.

If one of the markets doesn't hold up its end of the bargain, ratings drop. Either the Penn State game or the lack of excitement for the Flyers this season dragged the numbers down in Philly. Or, perhaps, outdoor hockey can't compete with the The Mummers Parade.

rjs246

I will never understand why they scheduled that game on New Year's day. What the farg? One of the biggest college sports days of the year and people are supposed to care about a mid-season, mid-afternoon gimmick of a hockey game? I'm a hockey fan and I still didn't care. I stopped watching even intermittently after the first intermission.
Is rjs gonna have to choke a bitch?

Let them eat bootstraps.

phattymatty

that's because you were getting blown up son.

Sgt PSN

don't really care about hockey one way or the other, but yeah, if they want to do the outdoor game each year (and i think it's a cool idea) then they need to pick a day that doesn't already have established sporting events already taking place.  turkey day belongs to the nfl.  xmas belongs to the nba, new year's eve belongs to drunks and whores and new year's day belongs to college football. 

of course, this is one of the big reasons hockey has such terrible tv ratings and a dwindling fan base to begin with.......they've never done anything to try and captivate a national tv audience.  there is no hockey tradition when it comes to a nationally televised game.  and it's not like this is something that the other sports leagues just started doing and the nhl was last in line.  this has been going on for decades now and the nhl finally got around to saying "yeah, maybe we should give that a try." 

too bad all the good days are already taken and now all they're left with is rosh hashanah.  good luck with that.