who will win the next title

not next year but the next title period whether it be 2013 or 2075
i can take a phrase thats rarely heard...flip it....now its a daily word

igy gettin it done like warrick

im the board pharmacist....always one step above yous

MDS

how do the sixers only get a 1

they have evan turner
Zero hour, Michael. It's the end of the line. I'm the firstborn. I'm sick of playing second fiddle. I'm always third in line for everything. I'm tired of finishing fourth. Being the fifth wheel. There are six things I'm mad about, and I'm taking over.

SD

Quote from: ice grillin you on June 24, 2012, 02:09:23 AM
is there anyone here that doesnt put the eagles infintely ahead of any other city team when it comes to winning a title

this is my 1-10 city ranking for winning a title...and this isnt next year this is the next title period

birds - 7
flyers - 4
phillies - 3
sixers - 1

This has nothing to do with talent and everything to do with the nature of the sport but I'd put the Flyers at #1. In the NHL a team can squeak into the playoffs and make a run. I know Bryz is a disaster and I'd trade him for a hot dog but his retarded Russian ass could get hot one year if everything else fell into place and the Flyers could pull off a cup win. Average/below average goalies do that almost every season. The Eagles I'd rank second, I don't think they're winning a SB any time soon. They have a talented team but there are still teams that are better. Maybe if I had more confidence in Vick. I want to have that confidence but I don't. The bottom two sound about right.

QB Eagles

flyers - 1.00001
phillies - 1.00000001
eagles - 1
sixers - negative 1

negadelf

I've been thinking positively about the Eagles too but let's get real -- that's only because unlike the other teams they haven't disappointed us for seven months. They also haven't played for seven months. Out of sight, out of mind. We'll all be bitching about Reid and Vick and Juan and Howie by the time the clock hits zero on Week 1 (or at least Week 2). The football gods have toyed with us for years, giving us a storied franchise that is usually full of drama but chronically incapable of winning a Super Bowl. Fate will continue to farg with us, this team is destined to underachieve.

Flyers have the best shot for the reason SD said. It's a sport like baseball where whoever catches a streak in the playoffs tends to win, but unlike baseball it's simple to make the playoffs and the Flyers are a good enough organization to do it pretty much every year, at least until the old man croaks. Goaltending is big, but it's also a sport where a crappy goalie can get on a hot streak. I still expect them to lose every year, but a little less than the other Philly teams.

This Phils window appears closed but if they maintain being a big-spending club they can put themselves in position to keep rebuilding and to compete most years. In a sport without a salary cap, you can't buy a WS win but based on recent history I think you can buy a pretty good team with much higher odds of making the playoffs than small-market clubs. Once you're in it's just about being the team with that hot streak. If they don't maintain the big wallet, the odds plummet.

Basketball is a superstar-driven sport. Things like building an actual team or good coaching are vastly less important than having a superstar. What we saw from the Sixers this year is about the best you can get out of a team without one. They have zero prospects of obtaining a superstar. Therefore they have zero prospects of winning the NBA Finals. The way this league is set up is completely dysfunctional. There are 30 teams in the league, but only 8 of them have won more recently than the Sixers in '83. Most of the league is just cannon fodder, and the Sixers are among the fodder.

ice grillin you

ive already bitched about vick and expect him to be the downfall...but my sunny outlook tells me hes going to have a brad johnson superbowl year

most of the rest of what you say i agree with cept the phillies...they are NOT the yankees or red sox where they will just reload because they dont have a foundation to add to....also they do have a salary cap...the luxury tax....

SD

As long as fan support stays relatively high they can stay competitive. They may not be in the Yankee/Sox category but they're definitely in the Cards/Angels category meaning they should be able to stay competitive and compete every season. Maybe one of those seasons they break through and win another WS. They need a GM with imagination. Time to part ways to RAJ.

ice grillin you

even if the phillies would go over the luxury tax limit which they wont theyd still need a foundation from which to add free agents to and they dont

they have an exclusively over 30 roster cept heidi and a terrible farm system

they could have a 300 million dollar payroll and they still wouldnt be world series competitive for at least five years

SD

Quote from: ice grillin you on June 24, 2012, 10:30:04 AM

they could have a 300 million dollar payroll and they still wouldnt be world series competitive for at least five years

You can't predict the future. Nobody thought the Cards would be in the playoffs last season much less winning it all. I'm not as down on the 30+ year olds as you are. Halladay will be back, Hamels is fine, Lee is still a good pitcher. The hitting hasn't been that bad. The real problem is their middle relief, if they had 2 middle relievers who were worth a damn they'd be in contention. The NL is not good and they can win with what they've got. Just because they're struggling this season doesn't mean they're done for the next 5 seasons. They need to add some pieces and go from there.

Munson

They have the pitchers now + the pitchers in the farm to keep a relatively decent rotation, which could allow them to spend money on the offense the next couple years and get some decent young guys in the lineup to pair with some role players.
Quote from: ice grillin you on April 01, 2008, 05:10:48 PM
perhaps you could explain sd's reasons for "disliking" it as well since you seem to be so in tune with other peoples minds

ice grillin you

its pretty easy to predict the future with this roster...older and worse is all they are going to get...shtein before this season even started it was obvious and now its even more so

a massive overhaul is in order....blow it up try and acquire young talent to rebuild and once that happens then start dumping money on a couple of big time free agents to complete the transition and go for another world series...but again this is a five year plan

QB Eagles

Quote from: ice grillin you on June 24, 2012, 10:30:04 AMthey could have a 300 million dollar payroll and they still wouldnt be world series competitive for at least five years

I don't necessarily disagree with that, but even if it takes them five years to compete for another WS, there's still good odds they win the next Philly championship. All the teams in this city are a bunch of bums. I'm taking the longview with this question because I expect the next championship a Philly team wins will be mostly with players not currently playing in Philly. Maybe Giroux or Fletcher Cox are still around.

And if the Phils decide to close the wallets and fall back into the pack, forget it. It'll be another 25 years.

ice grillin you

phils wont close the wallets now that they have the money pit...but they should practice massive discretion on where they spend money for the next few years...this is why im a proponent of trading heidi and i wont be mad even if they let him walk...dumping 150 mil on him does nothing...maybe when hes 33-34 hes still a #2 guy and they are competing again for a ws but thats a big if on both counts...

that said i do respect the business part of it and the fact that losing him sends a terrible message to the fanbase..and because of that i definitely wouldnt be mad if they signed him

and i agree phillies could win the next title...its very possible...i just dont see how the eagles arent the clear favorite where we stand now

ice grillin you

http://espn.go.com/espn/playbook/story/_/id/8275319/uni-watch-power-rankings-rates-nfl-mlb-nba-nhl-uniforms-1-122

sixers first philly team to post in the uniform countdown @ 70

lol at the eagles having better uniforms than the sixers

PoopyfaceMcGee

Quote from: ice grillin you on August 22, 2012, 12:47:50 PM
http://espn.go.com/espn/playbook/story/_/id/8275319/uni-watch-power-rankings-rates-nfl-mlb-nba-nhl-uniforms-1-122

sixers first philly team to post in the uniform countdown @ 70

lol at the eagles having better uniforms than the sixers

I can't get over there being 40 uniforms WORSE than the Marlins' uniforms.

ice grillin you

eagles at a laughable 28

phillies and flyers still alive

altho blackhawks at 49 pretty much invalidates the entire list