Roy Halladay Opening Day
7 (53.8%)
Sixers Playoff Opener
3 (23.1%)
Flyers Playoff Opener
3 (23.1%)

Total Members Voted: 13

MDS

the nba is boring but college basketball is exciting?

college basketball where a typical offense is to try a high screen and when that fails, have a player stand around the 3 pt arc until he sees a tiny hole and jacks up a contested 3. thats your idea of good basketball? and btw this player is only in college because he sucks and cant play in the pros.

explain yourself because the only realistic answer for people who hate the nba is they are simply uncomfortable with whatever stereotype theyve painted in their head about the players and the style.
Zero hour, Michael. It's the end of the line. I'm the firstborn. I'm sick of playing second fiddle. I'm always third in line for everything. I'm tired of finishing fourth. Being the fifth wheel. There are six things I'm mad about, and I'm taking over.

SunMo

the general misconceptions about the NBA game are pretty hilarious
I'm the Anti-Christ. You got me in a vendetta kind of mood.

Munson

Watching college basketball blows too, except March Madness makes it a bit more exciting.

Basketball is just not a fun sport to watch. A lot like soccer. Fun to play, excruciatingly boring to watch until the last couple minutes.
Quote from: ice grillin you on April 01, 2008, 05:10:48 PM
perhaps you could explain sd's reasons for "disliking" it as well since you seem to be so in tune with other peoples minds

MDS

its ridiculous because if you actually watch the nba then college is really tough to sit through since the quality of play is disgustingly different

but if you listen to some random, old baseless stereotypes based on racism and ignorance and apply them to now i guess you get what we have here
Zero hour, Michael. It's the end of the line. I'm the firstborn. I'm sick of playing second fiddle. I'm always third in line for everything. I'm tired of finishing fourth. Being the fifth wheel. There are six things I'm mad about, and I'm taking over.

reese125

Yep-the nba has no defense at all. None. The defensive players just let the guy go right on by.

Nevermind the fact that the offensive players have so much damn athletic skill that you never even think of the fact that it's just that difficult to guard someone in the NBA. Learn to appreciate that and you might just appreciate the game....but let's argue how pheneomanal a 1-0 hockey game is.

Munson

There's just nothing exciting about watching someone who's 6'6 drive to the basket and dunk the ball or hit a layup.

It's a lot more impressive when 5'8 kids are doing it in high school. And high school basketball is even more boring.
perhaps you could explain sd's reasons for "disliking" it as well since you seem to be so in tune with other peoples minds

reese125

Oh I get it-but watching a guy ice skate and take 40 shots on a net with none of them going in is spectacular?

Please stop-my entertainment meter can't take it anymore.

Munson

Yes, it is actually more impressive to see less athletic guys make moves on an icey surface and still keep control of the puck and take pinpoint accurate shots at the net. Or deflect a shot from the point in. Aside from the occasional set up of the rush behind the net, there's constant movement and a lot of time spent in the offensive zones. And physical play. Roughing, fighting, etc.

Much, much more exciting than watching somebody take 10 seconds to dribble up the court, swing it out, get it back and drive to the net. Over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over again. Throw some bricks and the occasional great shot in there.

Aside for the last few minutes of a close game, there's really nothing exciting or impressive about a basketball game. If I were 6'5 and super athletic I better be able to dunk or drive and hit a layup too. Impressive stuff. Don't really see what's so thrilling about an uncontested dunk, which make up most dunks anymore since the players are more worried about being embarrassed than going for the block...it's the equivalent of an empty net goal or an intentional walk.

charlie

Quote from: MDS on April 02, 2011, 08:49:00 PM
i dont really care

just say i dont like basketball because im uncomfortable with the culture associated with it and be done

if you actually liked basektball like everyone else from philly youd really like this sixers squad

No one in philly actually likes basketball. Just ask the empty seats in the 1983 playoffs.

And the fact that I was able to walk up to the gate 10 minutes before tip off in to 2001 finals and get tickets.

MDS

wow

this board continues to get worse by the day

Sgt PSN

Probably because will each passing day, you're still posting. 

Tomahawk

Sgt PSN

Maybe. Autocorrect strikes again.

ice grillin you

i love how charlie lies all the time to prove a point

lying about buying finals tickets ten minutes before the game is whatever...i dont really care people lie on the internet a thousands times a second...but that fact that he thinks that proves that no one in the city of philadelphia likes basketball is hilarious

anyway i can understand not liking hockey....its not easy to watch...its not our sport....no one can pronounce the names of half the league or identify the places they come from

what i cannot understand is how you could be an american male and not like basketball football and baseball
i can take a phrase thats rarely heard...flip it....now its a daily word

igy gettin it done like warrick

im the board pharmacist....always one step above yous

charlie

I didn't say "no one cares" like literally no one. Of course some care... but the city as a whole doesn't care.

And buying tickets right before the game is absolute truth.