Flyers 2016 Offseason

Started by rjs246, April 26, 2016, 08:58:29 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

rjs246

Since I don't follow this shtein closely enough anymore someone tell me what the plan is for the offseason.

Hextall dumped a lot of shtein contracts and I know there are some talented prospects on the blue line and down the middle. Who's likely to come up from the minors next year?
Their wings suck. What do they do about that?
Do they resign Nuevirth?
Are they fully out of cap hell or are they still paying some of these dinosaurs more than they're worth?

Answers. Provide them.
Is rjs gonna have to choke a bitch?

Let them eat bootstraps.

SD

My plan would be:
Sign Stamkos. Don't know if they have the cap space but Hextall seems savvy enough to clear space out to get it done. Long shot but lets dream.
Trade Morin/Cout/pick to the Lightning for Drouin. Young winger with a ton of talent.

Like Ghost, I think they'll let Provorov/Sanheim/Konechny start the season in the minors, then bring them up 10 games into the season.

Futures bright

rjs246

I've been sort of vaguely following the Drouin thing... is he really worth getting? Seems like he's been a little bitch this season.

Let them eat bootstraps.

SD

Quote from: rjs246 on April 26, 2016, 09:19:01 AM
I've been sort of vaguely following the Drouin thing... is he really worth getting? Seems like he's been a little bitch this season.

He is a little bitch, but who cares, he has a ton of talent. The Lightning need young D-men. Rumor during the trade deadline is the Flyers were the front runners for him. I think they try trading for him again during the draft.

rjs246

Fine. as long as I'm interpreting his bitchness accurately.

What about Mason/Nuevirth/Stolarz? The playoff pants-soiling is a bit of a concern I'd say...

Let them eat bootstraps.

SD

If platoon Neuvirth/Mason again. Mason was great during the regular season. Competition is a good thing. Stolarz can marinate another year, he's still young.

ice grillin you

i think the drouin thing is past now...hes played fantastic for tampa and with stamkos all but gone to Toronto they cant afford to lose another dynamic offensive player who is also super young...the wild card in this being if drouin still holds a grudge and demands a trade...but if all he truly wanted the whole time was to be called up and it was a hockey thing versus having something against yzerman or tb personally then i don't see why they would ever get rid of him...guess we will truly find out how drouin feels in the summer

neuvirth is under contract for another year so they don't need to worry about signing him....they could trade him if they feel stolarz is an nhl goalie....stolarz was really good in Allentown this year

flyers do have some flexibility with the cap this offseason...but i suspect hextall remains patient and lets the young defenseman develop for another year before he makes a bigger splash

a lot would cure the flyers offense from in house if Giroux and jake would perform like the superstar money they are being paid....don't get me wrong they still should add a mid level winger that can provide  punch in goal scoring...but people like matt read and and sam gagner wouldn't seem so awful and we might not yell as loud at cooter to score more if giroux and jake formed a dominant first line...voracek seemed to be obviously hurt in the latter parts of the season so with a summer off hopefully he comes back and is himself again...and speaking of cotourier i think hes going to have a huge breakout season next year if he can stay healthy
i can take a phrase thats rarely heard...flip it....now its a daily word

igy gettin it done like warrick

im the board pharmacist....always one step above yous

rjs246

I have thought the same thing about Couter for the last couple of years. He's a really nice piece to have on the team because he's competent on offense and excellent on defense, but he just hasn't made that step forward on offense. I'm starting to doubt it will ever happen.

Totally agreed about Giroux/Jake needing to produce more, but I also don't think they will ever be superstars. Each of them are nice players, but I don't think either of them have offensive dominance in their repertoire.

Let them eat bootstraps.

ice grillin you

i think cooter played leaps and bounds better offensively this year it just didn't translate on the score sheet...in previous years you were hoping to see something different and didn't...at least this year i saw it....he was so much stronger on the puck and his ice awareness was ten fold improved....i think/hope it will translate in a more tangible way next year...like pucks in the back of the net

i think jake has superstar potential like he showed last season...he was on a huge upward trend his whole career until this year with the injuries....i agree on giroux....he is what he is at this point...

rjs246

I guess I saw last year as Jake's ceiling, but I'd be thrilled to be wrong about that.

Let them eat bootstraps.

ice grillin you

that ceiling was more or less superstar tho...he was incredible that year...I think he was top 3 in scoring....if that's what he is the rest of his prime then hes worth it.....on the other hand if he falls off his contract becomes a huge albatross....I also think he only had 25 goals that year.....that can and should be improved on

rjs246

He's never been a great finisher, though. And while top 5 in scoring is nice, I guess I don't consider a player who scores less than 1ppg to be a real superstar in the NHL, but that's just me. Having said that, if he's a consistent 75-80 point player, he is certainly worth his contract. I'm just not sure that he can consistently achieve that kind of production.

Let them eat bootstraps.

Geowhizzer

rjs246

Let them eat bootstraps.

ice grillin you

how mad are you if you are a flames fan