The "what the farg is wrong with this world" thread

Started by PhillyGirl, March 07, 2010, 12:28:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sgt PSN

Quote from: phillymic2000 on May 06, 2010, 09:59:21 AM
http://www.nbcbayarea.com/news/local-beat/Students-Wearing-American-Flag-Shirts-Sent-Home-92945969.html

What a fargin joke.

Quote"They said we could wear it on any other day," Daniel Galli said, "but today is sensitive to Mexican-Americans because it's supposed to be their holiday so we were not allowed to wear it today."

The boys said the administrators called their T-shirts "incendiary" that would lead to fights on campus.

Everyone in that story is farging retarded.  If it's just one or 2 kids, you could argue coincidence.  But when 4 or 5 kids all wear practically the same thing, it was planned and intended to attract attention.  They didn't violate any laws but their actions were still purely idiotic and I don't feel bad for them in the least. 

The female student they interviewed is an idiot too.  She says she was offended because they are trying to celebrate a Mexican holiday.  Shut your farging cum dumpster.  If you are that serious about celebrating a Mexican holiday then perhaps you should take a trip to Mexico.  Show me another country in the world that goes as far as this one does to actually celebrate foreign holidays.  These douchebags wore their shirts with the intent of getting a rise out of people.  Congrats on giving it to them.

The parents of the boys are morons and should stop raising their kids to be racists.   

The school is probably the least moronic party involved and I don't think they handled it "poorly" but it probably could have been handled a little better.  Rock and a hard place though because no matter what they do, they're going to "offend" someone.  Best thing they could have done was punch every single kid in the face.       

Seabiscuit36

schools handle stuff like this wrong 99% of the time. 
"For all the civic slurs, for all the unsavory things said of the Philadelphia fans, also say this: They could teach loyalty to a dog. Their capacity for pain is without limit." -Bill Lyons

SD

So if a bunch of kids wear shirts with the Mexican Flag on it on 4th of July will there be the same outrage? I highly doubt it.

General_Failure

Another reason why I'm in favor of uniforms for public schools.

The man. The myth. The legend.

MDS

Zero hour, Michael. It's the end of the line. I'm the firstborn. I'm sick of playing second fiddle. I'm always third in line for everything. I'm tired of finishing fourth. Being the fifth wheel. There are six things I'm mad about, and I'm taking over.

General_Failure

We all want to see young kids doing it, but I'm not sure what that has to do with this issue.

Sgt PSN

Quote from: SD on May 06, 2010, 12:17:21 PM
So if a bunch of kids wear shirts with the Mexican Flag on it on 4th of July will there be the same outrage? I highly doubt it.

Doubtful since school isn't in session on the 4th.  However, if it were during the school year it still wouldn't be an issue because school would undoubtedly be closed that day.

Quote from: General_Failure on May 06, 2010, 12:17:58 PM

I'm not.  It would not only suck up more tax dollars, but uniforms in a public school will ultimately solve nothing.  Ok, so maybe now kids aren't able to wear anything that could be considered offensive....it still doesn't prevent them from saying offensive things.  It doesn't prevent them from expressing themselves by writing a message on the rear window of their car or sewing something on their backpack.  It's like saying that crime will go away if you take away guns.  Not to mention that I'd hate to have absolutely no say in my day to day appearance.  Uniforms will somewhat strip kids of their identity and limit the ways that they can express themselves.  I fail to see how that could ever be a good thing.  Are teenagers idiots who don't fully understand the consequences of their actions?  Of course they are.  But most of them eventually grow up and figure it out as they mature and I'd bet that if you ask these kids 5 years from now they'd probably look back and realize it wasn't the smartest thing to do.  Well, possibly not with these kids because their parents fail to see any wrong doing on their kids' part, but I think most people understand what the real reason was behind these kids getting kicked out of school was. 

It had nothing to do with imposing on freedom of speech.  It had everything to do with the fact that these kids coordinated their attire for that day with the intent of causing a disruption.  And when you do that, you are no longer protected by free speech. 

SunMo

how do uniforms suck up tax dollars?  any private school i know about that has uniforms requires the parents to purchase them
I'm the Anti-Christ. You got me in a vendetta kind of mood.

Sgt PSN

SunMo

ok, my point is, dook....that the same principle would apply.  there would be no reason why the parents wouldn't be forced to buy the uniforms, it has nothing to do with tax dollars.
I'm the Anti-Christ. You got me in a vendetta kind of mood.

General_Failure

Quote from: Sgt PSN on May 06, 2010, 01:20:39 PM

I'm not.  It would not only suck up more tax dollars, but uniforms in a public school will ultimately solve nothing.  Ok, so maybe now kids aren't able to wear anything that could be considered offensive....it still doesn't prevent them from saying offensive things.  It doesn't prevent them from expressing themselves by writing a message on the rear window of their car or sewing something on their backpack.

Don't make it a taxpayer thing. Most parents spend a crapton of money on back to school clothes, and they can afford to spend $50 on a pair of uncomfortable khakis, an ill-fitting polo shirt or two, and some cheap dress shoes. Let's throw in another $25 for uniform backpacks that you're not allowed to personalize. That's one less pair of jeans.

If kids want to put a message in the back window of their car that essentially says "vandalize my rusted out shteinbox" I'm fine with that.

Sgt PSN

Quote from: General_Failure on May 06, 2010, 01:29:49 PM

I'm not.  It would not only suck up more tax dollars, but uniforms in a public school will ultimately solve nothing.  Ok, so maybe now kids aren't able to wear anything that could be considered offensive....it still doesn't prevent them from saying offensive things.  It doesn't prevent them from expressing themselves by writing a message on the rear window of their car or sewing something on their backpack.

Don't make it a taxpayer thing. Most parents spend a crapton of money on back to school clothes, and they can afford to spend $50 on a pair of uncomfortable khakis, an ill-fitting polo shirt or two, and some cheap dress shoes. Let's throw in another $25 for uniform backpacks that you're not allowed to personalize. That's one less pair of jeans.

Good point.   I can buy into that so I'll drop the tax dollar issue.  Still think it's a bad idea overall though for the other reasons I mentioned. 

If kids want to put a message in the back window of their car that essentially says "vandalize my rusted out shteinbox" I'm fine with that.

Ha!

General_Failure

Uniforms will somewhat strip kids of their identity and limit the ways that they can express themselves.  I fail to see how that could ever be a good thing.  Are teenagers idiots who don't fully understand the consequences of their actions?  Of course they are.

Teenage freedom of expression is usually limited to things like "My parents are loaded" and "My taste in music is this."  I don't see this as a very big loss. Frankly, I think most could do with a few hours of they day where they're focused more on learning and less on expressing themselves.

Sgt PSN

If it were a given that uniforms would make kids better students, then I'd be more willing to entertain the argument.  I went to private school, we wore uniforms and we still had kids who were bad students.  Over crowded classrooms and under paid teachers are by far, the 2 biggest problems in most public schools, not what the kids are or aren't wearing. 

rjs246

Is rjs gonna have to choke a bitch?

Let them eat bootstraps.