When does the real QB controversy begin?

Started by Cerevant, January 10, 2007, 11:56:17 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

When does the real QB controversy begin?

It is already a mess
2 (15.4%)
After a win in NO
1 (7.7%)
After a win in the NFCCG
0 (0%)
After a Super Bowl win
6 (46.2%)
Never - Philly media & fans are too smart for that
4 (30.8%)

Total Members Voted: 12

Sgt PSN

Quote from: SunMo on January 10, 2007, 12:56:00 PM
so basically, you blame McNabb in a roundabout way for the playcalling?  he's more talented at passing, thus Reid calls more pass plays, screwing up the offense?

He's got a stronger arm, that's it.  When it comes to accuracy, are you really going to try and say McNabb is more accurate than Garcia?  Garcia also has more control on his velocity too. 

I'm not blaming McNabb for the playcalling.  But there are some aspects of Garcia's game that are superior to McNabb's.  And it's those specific qualities that make him a better fit. 

And don't get me wrong.  I'm not dumping on McNabb or anything because I love the guy and he is still the future of this team.  But when it comes down to it, Garcia is actually a better fit for the WCO than McNabb is.  That's all I'm getting at. 

ice grillin you

garcia also doesnt seem to get down when things go salty like mcnabb does

anyway i think every post in this discussion has been quality (especially murps) and id like to thank you all for that
i can take a phrase thats rarely heard...flip it....now its a daily word

igy gettin it done like warrick

im the board pharmacist....always one step above yous

Cerevant

Two slight distinctions/clarifications:

- I'm not asking if Garcia is a better QB (overall) than McNabb - obviously that is not the case.  But is he the better choice for this team / offense?
- While I'm finding your personal points of view on this interesting, the question is at what point does the city/media/team melt into a quivering mess over this issue?

Ultimately, could winning a Super Bowl this year completely destroy the team next year?  Could it create a rift between the players, kill McNabbs confidence further and/or Garcia tanks...or both...and result in a losing season that would further ignite the fire regardless of what Reid choses to do?

This, by the way, is why I think the Eagles might just do it.  Turn the greatest moment in Philadelphia sports in over 20 years into a huge negative.  It is just sick enough to come true.  Still, if the team gets a ring, I don't think most of us will care.
An ad hominem fallacy consists of asserting that someone's argument is wrong and/or he is wrong to argue at all purely because of something discreditable/not-authoritative about the person or those persons cited by him rather than addressing the soundness of the argument itself.

MURP

WIP and Philly Sports writers will always make something a big stink if they can.  That doesnt mean the majority of the fan base agrees.   Isnt Garcia a FA anyway?  He may get a chance at a starting job elsewhere and not even be back with the Eagles next year which would quickly end any nonsense. 

MURP

the other thing is that "this offense" is not what McNabb played in.  "this offense" has a run game and has well balanced play calling by Marty.   Any QB, including McNabb, would be better suited to "this offense" which allows the pressure to be put on the entire offense as a unit rather than just having the QB chuck the ball around 40 times a game.

If you put Garcia in the offense Reid was running at the start of this year he wouldnt be playing as well, IMO.   

Wingspan

Quote from: ice grillin you on January 10, 2007, 02:38:56 PM
garcia also doesnt seem to get down when things go salty like mcnabb does

yeah, i keep thinking back to all those times he seemed so happy while playing for detroit and cleveland
Connection Problems

Sorry, SMF was unable to connect to the database. This may be caused by the server being busy. Please try again later.

PhillyPhanInDC

Quote from: Wingspan on January 10, 2007, 03:21:49 PM
yeah, i keep thinking back to all those times he seemed so happy while playing for detroit and cleveland

Hey now. Garcia is a fighter. And a fighter fights.

Seriously though, the only way that this gets any kind of real steam is if the Birds get a SB ring. Even then, McNabb is the guy. The FO and team as a whole shouldn't be knocked for this. The coaching staff should be crucified in the streets if once McNabb is back and healthy they revert to the pre-McNabb injury offense. If they somehow win the whole deal, Garcia is the next Trent Dilfer.
"The very existence of flamethrowers proves that some time, somewhere, someone said to themselves, "You know, I want to set those people over there on fire, but I'm just not close enough to get the job done.""  R.I.P George.

ice grillin you

all i know is hes showed more raw emotion anger and puff your chest out intestinal fortitude in seven weeks than mcnabb has shown in seven years

i also know i sat with garcia's parents corner end zone ten rows from the top of fed ex field and watched dood go nuts while donovans mammy was writing hate letters to eagle fans

Wingspan

i dont really care about any of their parents.
Connection Problems

Sorry, SMF was unable to connect to the database. This may be caused by the server being busy. Please try again later.

ice grillin you

you should since most people and especially garcia and mcnabb ARE their parents

Rome

Quote from: MURP on January 10, 2007, 01:18:57 PM
if Garcia wins the superbowl I dont even care who is the QB next year.    Omar Jacobs holler. 

< Insert pithy internet agreement slang here. >

Wingspan

Quote from: ice grillin you on January 10, 2007, 03:40:34 PM
you should since most people and especially garcia and mcnabb ARE their parents

i just tried.

and i still don't care
Connection Problems

QB Eagles

WIP will try and fuel a controversy no matter what happens, but there's no question whatsoever that the Eagles would stick with McNabb even if Garcia was the Super Bowl MVP.

In other words, it'll just be a pretend QB controversy in the media, not one where the starting QB position is really up for grabs.

General_Failure

The man. The myth. The legend.

rjs246

If this discussion has proven anything, it's that this option

QuotePhilly media & fans are too smart for that

is clearly not the correct one....
Is rjs gonna have to choke a bitch?

Let them eat bootstraps.