Man made global warming is real.

Started by Diomedes, January 23, 2007, 11:37:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Diomedes

This needs it's own thread. 

http://www.cnn.com/2007/TECH/science/01/23/climate.report.ap/index.html

QuoteWASHINGTON (AP) -- Human-caused global warming is here -- visible in the air, water and melting ice -- and is destined to get much worse in the future, an authoritative global scientific report will warn next week.

"The smoking gun is definitely lying on the table as we speak," said top U.S. climate scientist Jerry Mahlman, who reviewed all 1,600 pages of the first segment of a giant four-part report. "The evidence ... is compelling."

Andrew Weaver, a Canadian climate scientist and study co-author, went even further: "This isn't a smoking gun; climate is a batallion of intergalactic smoking missiles."

The first phase of the Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change is being released in Paris next week.

This segment, written by more than 600 scientists and reviewed by another 600 experts and edited by bureaucrats from 154 countries, includes "a significantly expanded discussion of observation on the climate," said co-chair Susan Solomon a senior scientist for the U.S. National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration.

She and other scientists held a telephone briefing on the report Monday.

That report will feature an "explosion of new data" on observations of current global warming, Solomon said.

Solomon and others wouldn't go into specifics about what the report says.

They said that the 12-page summary for policymakers will be edited in secret word-by-word by governments officials for several days next week and released to the public on February 2. The rest of that first report from scientists will come out months later.

The full report will be issued in four phases over the year, as was the case with the last IPCC report, issued in 2001.

Global warming is "happening now, it's very obvious," said Mahlman, a former director of NOAA's Geophysical Fluid Dynamics Lab. "When you look at the temperature of the Earth, it's pretty much a no-brainer."

Look for an "iconic statement" -- a simple but strong and unequivocal summary -- on how global warming is now occurring, said one of the authors, Kevin Trenberth, director of climate analysis at the National Center for Atmospheric Research, also in Boulder.

The February report will have "much stronger evidence now of human actions on the change in climate that's taken place," Rajendra K. Pachauri told the AP in November. Pachauri, an Indian climatologist, is the head of the international climate change panel.

An early version of the ever-changing draft report said "observations of coherent warming in the global atmosphere, in the ocean, and in snow and ice now provide stronger joint evidence of warming."

And the early draft adds: "An increasing body of evidence suggests a discernible human influence on other aspects of climate including sea ice, heat waves and other extremes, circulation, storm tracks and precipitation."

The world's global average temperature has risen about 1.2 degrees Fahrenheit from 1901 to 2005. The two warmest years on record for the world were 2005 and 1998. Last year was the hottest year on record for the United States.

The report will draw on already published peer-review science. Some recent scientific studies show that temperatures are the hottest in thousands of years, especially during the last 30 years; ice sheets in Greenland in the past couple years have shown a dramatic melting; and sea levels are rising and doing so at a faster rate in the past decade.

Also, the second part of the international climate panel's report -- to be released in April -- will for the first time feature a blockbuster chapter on how global warming is already changing health, species, engineering and food production, said NASA scientist Cynthia Rosenzweig, author of that chapter.

As confident as scientists are about the global warming effects that they've already documented, they are as gloomy about the future and even hotter weather and higher sea level rises.

Predictions for the future of global warming in the report are based on 19 computer models, about twice as many as in the past, Solomon said.

In 2001, the panel said the world's average temperature would increase somewhere between 2.5 and 10.4 degrees Fahrenheit and the sea level would rise between 4 inches and 35 inches by the year 2100. The 2007 report will likely have a smaller range of numbers for both predictions, Pachauri and other scientists said.

The future is bleak, scientists said.

"We have barely started down this path," said chapter co-author Richard Alley of Penn State University.

You may not like Al Gore, but he's right.  Even if you never admit it to anyone, if you have half a brain and you're reading anything other than Exxon/Bush authored press releases, you know it.  Human activity is rapidly heating the earth and the consequences will be dire for all life on earth.  If that means nothing to you money lovers, it's also going to be farging awful for the economy.

Those who claim global warming is not man made, that it's a controversial theory about which the scientific community is conflicted, are uninformed and disingenuous.   Pull your head out of the sand, sell your SUV, and start taking responsibility for your actions.  Your kids will  thank you.
There is considerable overlap between the intelligence of the smartest bears and the dumbest tourists." - Yosemite Park Ranger

ice grillin you

its more real than god thats for sure
i can take a phrase thats rarely heard...flip it....now its a daily word

igy gettin it done like warrick

im the board pharmacist....always one step above yous

Sgt PSN

PhillyPhanInDC

Quote from: Sgt PSN on January 23, 2007, 11:40:04 AM
Can I keep my Mustang?  

As long as you promise to take the Italian Horn off the review mirrior, and stop blasting REO Speedwagon.
"The very existence of flamethrowers proves that some time, somewhere, someone said to themselves, "You know, I want to set those people over there on fire, but I'm just not close enough to get the job done.""  R.I.P George.

Diomedes

Can I keep my Mustang? 

That's the nut, isn't it?  No.  You can't.  Not if you want your grand kids to live in a world where polar bears still live in the wild.
There is considerable overlap between the intelligence of the smartest bears and the dumbest tourists." - Yosemite Park Ranger

Seabiscuit36

Why do you care dio, you dont want to reproduce? 
"For all the civic slurs, for all the unsavory things said of the Philadelphia fans, also say this: They could teach loyalty to a dog. Their capacity for pain is without limit." -Bill Lyons

Sgt PSN

Quote from: PhillyPhaninDC on January 23, 2007, 11:42:55 AM
Can I keep my Mustang?  

As long as you promise to take the Italian Horn off the review mirrior, and stop blasting REO Speedwagon.

Fine, I'll lose the horn.  But if you think I'm going to stop blasting REO Speedwagon then you must be stuck on the dream weaver train. 

Sgt PSN

Quote from: Diomedes on January 23, 2007, 11:43:45 AM
Can I keep my Mustang? 

That's the nut, isn't it?  No.  You can't.  Not if you want your grand kids to live in a world where polar bears still live in the wild.

Look, I've got an SUV and a Mustang sitting in my driveway.  If I sell both then it won't matter what kind of world my kids grow up in because I will be without transportation to take them anywhere. 

Diomedes

Quote from: Seabiscuit36 on January 23, 2007, 11:45:50 AM
Why do you care dio, you dont want to reproduce?

I have a direct stake so long as I'm unlucky enough to share this planet with you idiots.

Seabiscuit36

Running the world dry of oil is the best thing the world has going for it. 
"For all the civic slurs, for all the unsavory things said of the Philadelphia fans, also say this: They could teach loyalty to a dog. Their capacity for pain is without limit." -Bill Lyons

Diomedes

Quote from: Sgt PSN on January 23, 2007, 11:50:18 AMLook, I've got an SUV and a Mustang sitting in my driveway.  If I sell both then it won't matter what kind of world my kids grow up in because I will be without transportation to take them anywhere.

Public transportation.  Ever heard of it?  Oh...that's right...the Exxon funded government doesn't fund public transit.  Or trains.  And most of us don't care enough to demand otherwise.  We'd rather drive our Mustangs.

Sell 'em both and get a hybrid SUV.  It's a huge step in the right direction, and you can still have your manly auto.

Diomedes

Quote from: Seabiscuit36 on January 23, 2007, 11:51:55 AM
Running the world dry of oil is the best thing the world has going for it. 
You forgot coal.  That is being touted as the solution by these idiots, and it's not gonna work.  There's still so much carbon based feul that we can't afford that attitude.  The planet will be an average 10 degrees hotter before we  burn it all up.

Seabiscuit36

Dio Public transportation would not work in a country where things are so spread out.  It works in cities for a reason.

Diomedes

Quote from: Seabiscuit36 on January 23, 2007, 11:59:20 AM
Dio Public transportation would not work in a country where things are so spread out.  It works in cities for a reason.

Bullshtein. 

PhillyPhanInDC

Quote from: Sgt PSN on January 23, 2007, 11:50:18 AM
Look, I've got an SUV and a Mustang sitting in my driveway.  If I sell both then it won't matter what kind of world my kids grow up in because I will be without transportation to take them anywhere. 

You can get them a GM EV car.

Chicks will be lining up to get a ride in that bitch.

Seriously though, GM does have a "concept" electric car they are exhibiting. It's called the Volt, gets about the 50MPG when running on gasoline only and 150MPG, when running with battery power. If it were for sale now, I'd farging buy one.

Or how about a 640 horsepower, all wheel drive Mini Cooper? It'll do 0-60 in 4.5 seconds, without sipping any gas doing so.

Link to the article on the Mini.

"The very existence of flamethrowers proves that some time, somewhere, someone said to themselves, "You know, I want to set those people over there on fire, but I'm just not close enough to get the job done.""  R.I.P George.