Soccer

Started by Diomedes, July 09, 2009, 06:59:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

hbionic

Nice loss Everton!  :boom

Chelsea: "It's ok Everton, we lost to them too."
I said watch the game and you will see my spirit manifest.-ILLEAGLE 02/04/05

ice grillin you

watched that hillsborough 30/30 yesterday....pretty good....burned drowned als are the only three worse ways I can think to die
i can take a phrase thats rarely heard...flip it....now its a daily word

igy gettin it done like warrick

im the board pharmacist....always one step above yous

Diomedes

Liverpool avoided the choke.  Yay...at least one team I support doesn't always farging suck when it matters.
There is considerable overlap between the intelligence of the smartest bears and the dumbest tourists." - Yosemite Park Ranger

Rome

hbionic

Quote from: ice grillin you on April 19, 2014, 05:18:03 PM
watched that hillsborough 30/30 yesterday....pretty good....burned drowned als are the only three worse ways I can think to die

Had no clue that was one. Will look for a replay of it.

hbionic

Quote from: Diomedes on April 20, 2014, 08:57:45 AM
Liverpool avoided the choke.  Yay...at least one team I support doesn't always farging suck when it matters.

Go Liverpool. Those iceholes at Stamford Bridge deserve their getting their balls cut off but they don't have any. Liverpool has been so much fun to watch this season, the whole team has come together at the perfect time and has beat the teams they were supposed to...just like a true Champion.

Chelsea needs Ibrahimovich or some other bad ass that can break a Sunderland back 4.  :boom

*Rome. I'm getting the impression Moyes is going to stick around at least through next season.

*I would love nothing more than for Everton to squeeze by Arsenal but they may have killed any chances by losing to Crystal Palace last week.

Rome

hbionic

I wonder what's going to happen to RVP and Chicharito this upcoming season.

On another note, Athletico Madrid is a good team. Diego Costa is a bull. I don't know how they didn't score against Chelsea. Chelsea clearing out balls like the Eagles defense tackles opponents.

Pressure will be on Chelsea on the 2nd leg not to allow a score. Or at least score 1 more goal than Atletico.

Rome

I think both are gone, actually.  They have to get the midfield and backfield squared away and that's going to take a massive payroll outlay.  I was reading they have $200,000,000 to spend in the offseason.  I think they should get a permanent manager immediately (although I'd be happy keeping Giggs as skipper) and find out in the last four matches who wants to stay and who needs to go.  The effort they gave against Everton was a disgrace and that must never happen again.

hbionic

Yeah, I did hear something about $180,000,000 for the off-season. Which brings me to question...isn't the team in debt? How do they have so much money to spend and at the same time have so much debt? Are they doing it the Dan Snyder way?

What was evident about the team (other than injuries throughout) was it's age and there was no identity. Usually, Manchester United can bully you into losing...that was gone this season. It was a chicken with its head cut off. I don't think it came as a surprise the season following Sir Alex's retirement. But no one expected it to be this bad.

This off-season sounds like it's going to be a busy one with all the rumors flying around already.

Rome

They have debt but they make so much in revenue they can literally pay it off whenever they choose.  Nike is going to pay them a billion dollars over ten years as their official outfitter and Chevy is paying them seventy nine million a year to have their logo on the jersey.  That's 179 million dollars a year just in two deals.  The amount of cash they take in is just insane.

hbionic

Wow. I didn't realize that. Nice set up. Now I see where the $180mil comes in. Specially in a league where teams have to fend for themselves in terms of marketing, etc. My understanding is that there's no revenue share. Is that right?

Rome

Yep.  Everyone fends for themselves in terms of marketing cash.  The Champions League, Europa League and all the assorted tournaments and exhibitions are split between the entrants, though, and that's why United's missing the CL this year really is bad news for the bottom line. 

They're still United and one horrible season (for them anyway) isn't going to be disastrous.  If they start stringing together years outside the top-3, then it could get ugly, but I don't see that happening. 

They're headed in the right direction already in terms of ridding themselves of Moyes.  He's just horrible and there's no other way to say it.  The players outright mutinied against him and although I feel sorry for the guy because he's just not suited for a CL-level side, it's not his fault he was over-matched from the start.    I mean, he replaced the greatest manager in the history of the sport.  It would be like replacing Lombardi or John Wooden. 

hbionic

Liverpool v. Chelsea.

Tough game. Brought Man City back into the title race mix. It is going to be a fun final two weeks. The bottom five are so close...going to be fun.

Rome

I chuckled when I read Dio's post about Liverpool not choking.  I almost posted 'not yet' but I didn't want to be that guy.