Soccer

Started by Diomedes, July 09, 2009, 06:59:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

phattymatty

i like soccer but the annoying part is that every time there is a big match televised in the US, like yesterday, its always two teams just trying not to lose instead of trying to win. except for the last 10 minutes, that was an extremely boring game. hard to bring in new fans when all the big time games are so slow.

that being said, one of my buddies is a big time soccer fan, part of the barra brava group for DC United, so I did the whole tailgating thing yesterday. It was super fun. non-stop chants, songs, throwing beers in the air, etc. also, you can smoke in the stands which i enjoyed. i may start going to more MLS games...it was a really cool tailgating experience.

ice grillin you

Quote from: QB Eagles on May 20, 2012, 10:29:57 AM
I like how Cleese rails against the lack of American creativity before dusting off an ignorant 100-year-old rant about the word "football".

i would much rather have eurotrash tell america we arent good enough to ike soccer than douchey american hipsters try and tell me its the best thing ever
i can take a phrase thats rarely heard...flip it....now its a daily word

igy gettin it done like warrick

im the board pharmacist....always one step above yous

MDS

cleese is the farthest thing from eurotrash but i get the point

and matty soccer is ALWAYS boring. be an american and only care about it when its our national team and we can stick it to some dirty foreigners. please?
Zero hour, Michael. It's the end of the line. I'm the firstborn. I'm sick of playing second fiddle. I'm always third in line for everything. I'm tired of finishing fourth. Being the fifth wheel. There are six things I'm mad about, and I'm taking over.

Rome

I was going to take the kid to see the USMNT face Scotland tonight in Jacksonville but Tropical Storm Beryl is making those plans seem less likely by the minute.

Sucks because she's really been looking forward to it.  I told her it's up to her but there's no way I'm sitting in the middle of a two hour downpour to watch a glorified practice.

hbionic

Mexico beats Brazil 2-0 in a friendly. Geo Dos Santos with a beautiful goal.

U.S.A. ties with Canada nil-nil

I said watch the game and you will see my spirit manifest.-ILLEAGLE 02/04/05

Rome

Spain/Italy is on now.  It's dive city right now.

Nauseating.

MDS

so is this draw at guatemala good since they got a point against a decent team in their south american shteinhole of a country or is it bad since they blew a 1-0 lead fairly late
Zero hour, Michael. It's the end of the line. I'm the firstborn. I'm sick of playing second fiddle. I'm always third in line for everything. I'm tired of finishing fourth. Being the fifth wheel. There are six things I'm mad about, and I'm taking over.

phillymic2000

The fact that the boxing thread has double the amount of pages then this thread should say everything about soccer.

Sgt PSN

Are you insinuating that soccer is dumb?  Because I agree.  Are you suggesting that :CF folk prefer boxing over soccer?  Because that would be wrong. 

Boxing thread started Nov 2004 (7.5 yrs ago) and has 1095 replies.
Soccer thread started Jul 2009 (3 yrs ago) and has 547 replies. 

At that pace, the soccer thread will have 1094 replies (1 less than the boxing thread has now) when it reaches 6 years in age, which is 1.5 years less than what it took the boxing thread to reach that post count.   

The soccer thread is replied to 1 out of every 14.5 times the thread is opened. 
The boxing thread is replied to 1 out of every 19.8 times the thread is opened. 

I don't like soccer but I'd say it's the more popular sport among :CF residents. 

phillymic2000

I think if you look at the people responding to the soccer thread they are a much more limited bunch then Boxing. I await your detailed break down sarge

phillymic2000

I will say before the playoff run by the sixera soccer and boxing were more popular then them, well except for igy's non stop hate and love fest with them!!

Munson

Sarge, to be fair in your assessment, I'm sure a lot of the posts in this thread are about how much soccer blows
Quote from: ice grillin you on April 01, 2008, 05:10:48 PM
perhaps you could explain sd's reasons for "disliking" it as well since you seem to be so in tune with other peoples minds

phillymic2000

Quote from: Munson on June 13, 2012, 12:46:19 AM
Sarge, to be fair in your assessment, I'm sure a lot of the posts in this thread are about how much soccer blows

This is rare, me and Munson agree. what the hell is going on!!

MDS

soccer is horrendous but america's athletic superiority is perhaps the most important thing in the world

so by sheer force you have to care about usa soccer if you are in fact a good american

phillymic2000

:boo piss poor attempt