Soccer

Started by Diomedes, July 09, 2009, 06:59:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rome

Have you ever noticed that the word, "argumentative" has the word, "men" in the middle?

That can't be a coincidence.

Diomedes

Yes, it can. 

Your mom laments your birth.
There is considerable overlap between the intelligence of the smartest bears and the dumbest tourists." - Yosemite Park Ranger

Diomedes

So, who's watching this Gold Cup opener?
There is considerable overlap between the intelligence of the smartest bears and the dumbest tourists." - Yosemite Park Ranger

Rome

Diomedes

Commendable trash talk, indeed.

You watching the game?  I am going to bed.

Rome

I am watching.  Honduras is a nasty bunch.  Definitely playing to the limit of the rules.

The U.S. is still playing decently, though.  Not great but not bad.

MDS

yea, middling 1H

honduras is dirty -- good for them -- but this ref is letting them get away with it. barely an fouls. 1 card on brooks for some nonsense. us has basically had 2 chances to score and they hit on 1 of them. cant complain.
Zero hour, Michael. It's the end of the line. I'm the firstborn. I'm sick of playing second fiddle. I'm always third in line for everything. I'm tired of finishing fourth. Being the fifth wheel. There are six things I'm mad about, and I'm taking over.

rjs246

Salty Dio is salty. This US team has shtein for a back line and gets dragged down into the muck too easily against teams that play chippy. They're lucky to have a lead. And yeah. This ref lost control of the game early. Let's see if he clamps down here in the second.
Is rjs gonna have to choke a bitch?

Let them eat bootstraps.

Rome

The final play in stoppage was hilarious.    The U.S. defender literally got slingshotted to the ground and no call.   The Hondurans are man-handling the U.S. and our response is what it usually is... wahhhhhhh!!!!

Rome

MDS

we won! yeah sports!
Zero hour, Michael. It's the end of the line. I'm the firstborn. I'm sick of playing second fiddle. I'm always third in line for everything. I'm tired of finishing fourth. Being the fifth wheel. There are six things I'm mad about, and I'm taking over.

Rome

rjs246

I'm gonna go on about this for Dio's benefit.

There is one other thing that is farging fantastic about rooting for the USMNT and the USWNT. It is amazingly refreshing to be invested in a team without 37 years of personal bullshtein and disappointment being tied up in the experience. I will never not root for the Eagles or the Flyers or Penn State football or (to a lesser extent) the Phillies and Sixers, but I will also always have the decades of infuriating horseshtein that they have shoveled onto my head. International soccer gives me something to get behind that doesn't remind me of what a miserable experience it is to be a philly fan.

There, I said it.
Is rjs gonna have to choke a bitch?

Let them eat bootstraps.

hbionic

I get the benefit of only sharing in the misery of being an Eagles fan and none of the other Philadelphia sports bullshtein AND I can also root for Mexico in Men's soccer as well as the USMNT.

So I'm better than all of you is what I'm basically saying.
I said watch the game and you will see my spirit manifest.-ILLEAGLE 02/04/05

ice grillin you

Quote from: Rome on July 07, 2015, 04:39:17 AM
Women's tennis is just as if not more entertaining than the men's game.  Same story in golf.   I watched a lot of the women's games during this World Cup and they play harder and with far less diva-like histrionics than their male counterparts.   The game is a bit slower and the skill on display for all but the highest rated teams is less impressive than the men's, but who cares?  The USA women are unbelievably skilled and they have more grit and determination than a fistful of Chase Utleys.  I'll take that any day over watching a gutless and heartless group of overpaid babies.

thats cause they all play non physical sports where at least on tv you cant tell the difference bwtn a 100 mph and a 120 mph serve....or a 300 yard drive and a 270 yard drive....soccer is just kicking the ball back n forth....theres no appreciable visual difference as there is when watching mens basketball or hockey versus womens basketball or hockey

also you are referencing sports that either arent played in a league or in the case of soccer a league that sucks in the US and has been around for five minutes...its makes a big difference when the men have a league in the us that is the best in the world...if MLS was the best soccer league in the world people in the us would care way less about womens soccer....

but lets also be real you or anyone else doesnt give a flying farg about the womens national team unless its in the world cup where other people are ineterested and you can all wear matching costumes and scream merica
i can take a phrase thats rarely heard...flip it....now its a daily word

igy gettin it done like warrick

im the board pharmacist....always one step above yous