Soccer

Started by Diomedes, July 09, 2009, 06:59:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Diomedes

Americans don't really give a shtein about soccer and it's just a fad.
There is considerable overlap between the intelligence of the smartest bears and the dumbest tourists." - Yosemite Park Ranger

MDS

the england/japan semifinal got 2.3 million

thats a womens soccer game involving 2 countries not called the usa

to put that in perspective thats more than playoff hockey games not involving chicago or new york. that number is almost more impressive than the final.

and you dont even want to know what the men would get if they made the final.
Zero hour, Michael. It's the end of the line. I'm the firstborn. I'm sick of playing second fiddle. I'm always third in line for everything. I'm tired of finishing fourth. Being the fifth wheel. There are six things I'm mad about, and I'm taking over.

Rome

Quote from: Diomedes on July 06, 2015, 07:50:43 PM
Americans don't really give a shtein about soccer and it's just a fad.

HA!

phattymatty

let's be honest all of you idiots are kind of right and kind of wrong.

I'll be the first to admit that I love shtein like the world cup or olympics or any reason to watch some weird sport with strangers at 6am and dress up like an idiot.

but i'm also not going to pretend that i will watch another womens soccer game for the next 4 years.

Geowhizzer

Quote from: phattymatty on July 06, 2015, 09:49:03 PM
let's be honest all of you idiots are kind of right and kind of wrong.

I'll be the first to admit that I love shtein like the world cup or olympics or any reason to watch some weird sport with strangers at 6am and dress up like an idiot.

but i'm also not going to pretend that i will watch another womens soccer game for the next 4 years.

More than likely I'll watch the Olympics.  Probably not much more than that, though.

rjs246

I like team sports and especially team sports played at a very high level. Some people call themselves sports fans but are really fans of leagues and base all of their fandom around the league. Not me. I don't love the NHL, I love good hockey. I don't love the NFL, I love good football. Now usually, women's sports are not played at an exceptionally high level. Sorry, not sorry, women's sports usually suck. But soccer is the one exception to that. That is some legit sportsballing regardless of the sex.

So no, I won't watch women's soccer regularly because just like MLS, a women's league is unlikely to be played at such a high level. But I'll watch international matches and I'll definitely tune in to Olympic/World Cup games. Same thing I do with the men's game.
Is rjs gonna have to choke a bitch?

Let them eat bootstraps.

MDS

the womens game isnt really at the level yet to have a legit 32 team world cup....certainly there can be no continental competition like you have with the men

so instead you have the olympics, some friendly's, new leaks of hope solo's labia, you know, stuff to keep you going until the next wwc
Zero hour, Michael. It's the end of the line. I'm the firstborn. I'm sick of playing second fiddle. I'm always third in line for everything. I'm tired of finishing fourth. Being the fifth wheel. There are six things I'm mad about, and I'm taking over.

Geowhizzer

My son's gotten me more into soccer than I've ever been.  I actually prefer the women's game - can't put my finger on why, but it just seems a more entertaining game than the mens.  And is it just me, or do they seem to dive less than the men?

My son loves watching Premier league.  I can take it or leave it.

And just about anything can catch my eye from time to time.  I loved watching old MILL games when it was on ESPN.  Granted, that was usually the old Wings, but it looked fun.

hbionic

Quote from: MDS on July 07, 2015, 12:10:58 AM
the womens game isnt really at the level yet to have a legit 32 team world cup....certainly there can be no continental competition like you have with the men

so instead you have the olympics, some friendly's, new leaks of hope solo's labia, you know, stuff to keep you going until the next wwc

:-D

I only watch the women's world cup (usually only final...and semi-final when I remember it's on...and only if the U.S. is playing). 

*Prior to these posts, I didn't realize there was a women's Olympic soccer team. Maybe I've watched, but didn't really care.
I said watch the game and you will see my spirit manifest.-ILLEAGLE 02/04/05

Rome

Women's tennis is just as if not more entertaining than the men's game.  Same story in golf.   I watched a lot of the women's games during this World Cup and they play harder and with far less diva-like histrionics than their male counterparts.   The game is a bit slower and the skill on display for all but the highest rated teams is less impressive than the men's, but who cares?  The USA women are unbelievably skilled and they have more grit and determination than a fistful of Chase Utleys.  I'll take that any day over watching a gutless and heartless group of overpaid babies.

Geowhizzer

I don't watch much tennis, but I'd agree with you there.  There are more extended volleys in the women's game when I have watched.

Can't say much about golf - just not my forte.

Diomedes

I like to post about why I like sports on the internet with other people who like sports.  It's so interesting to compare my love of this to your love of that. 

Rainbows.
There is considerable overlap between the intelligence of the smartest bears and the dumbest tourists." - Yosemite Park Ranger

Geowhizzer

Quote from: Diomedes on July 07, 2015, 05:53:47 PM
I like to post about why I like sports on the internet with other people who like sports.  It's so interesting to compare my love of this to your love of that. 

Rainbows.

It's good to have it all here in one place, right?

Diomedes

I can't argue with that.

hbionic

Why not? Argue, I say. Argue!
I said watch the game and you will see my spirit manifest.-ILLEAGLE 02/04/05