Game of Thrones

Started by Diomedes, February 24, 2013, 07:52:15 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Zanshin

I thought it felt like a skit half the time. Just felt like a different show in many ways. It reminded me of some sitcom finales, and I'm pretty sure that's not what they were aiming for.

smeags

If guns kill people then spoons made Rosie O'Donnel a fatass.

Quote from: ice grillin you on March 16, 2008, 03:38:24 PM
phillies will be under 500 this year...book it

Munson

Thought the finale was fine. Like someone said earlier, considering how much they rushed to get done, they did as good a job as I think was possible of tying up all the important story lines and characters most people cared about. Jon/Dany/Drogon in the throne room was great, the ending scenes of the small council and the stark montage were great. But it really sucks that we went from Tyrion trying to talk Jon into doing it, to Jon doing it the next scene. Much like every other storyline this season, that's something that should have played out over at least a couple of episodes. The Jon/Tyrion scenes were perfect examples of how a longer season(s) would have helped: the showrunners clearly wanted us to feel like those two were closer to each other, but they weren't because they haven't had any scenes alone together since they were brooding on a cliff last season.

I'm fine with the conclusion...besides Jon, Bran is probably the best king given his knowledge and lack of ambition.

If there's any major difference with the main characters (Jon, Dany, Bran, Arya, Sansa, Tyrion) when the books come, my guess is that it's possible Jon is killed as well. I don't think D&D had the guts to kill both Dany and Jon, so if GRRM told them that they both die, I could see Jon's semi-happy ending being a show invention. I also could see one of the Stark sisters potentially not making it.
Quote from: ice grillin you on April 01, 2008, 05:10:48 PM
perhaps you could explain sd's reasons for "disliking" it as well since you seem to be so in tune with other peoples minds

General_Failure

The man. The myth. The legend.

phattymatty

I was not hooked in the beginning but through the years GOT slowly crept into my top 5 shows of all time.  Which is why this last season was so disappointing to me.

They would go 5-6 episodes in the early seasons with barely no action, just character development, and now to rush the most important episodes together at the end into 6 episodes?  just terrible.

thought the finale was very meh. 

1. why did tyrion get to pick who was king? dude was still in handcuffs but everyone just came to the same conclusion that the decision was his.  dumb.
2. why does anyone care what greyworm thinks?  his queen is dead.  also is no one realizing that the unsullied army will only last for so long because of the no penises?
3. thought dragon burning the throne was probably the best scene.

they could have easily had 10-12 episodes this year and I think it would have felt much more satisfying.

smeags

munson, you said you thought the finale was fine, then went on to explain how it wasn't fine ?  :sly
If guns kill people then spoons made Rosie O'Donnel a fatass.

Quote from: ice grillin you on March 16, 2008, 03:38:24 PM
phillies will be under 500 this year...book it

SD

Quote from: smeags on May 22, 2019, 01:13:27 PM
munson, you said you thought the finale was fine, then went on to explain how it wasn't fine ?  :sly

Fanboys gonna fanboy

Eagles_Legendz

The problem wasn't the finale itself (other than Bran).  The problem is they farged everything from a plot perspective in episodes 3-5 that there was nothing the finale could do to unfarg it.  The tracks were already set.

Munson

Quote from: smeags on May 22, 2019, 01:13:27 PM

The only thing I explained was how certain scenes could have had more weight if the season as a whole wasn't so short and rushed. The Jon/Tyrion scene in the cell was great, but if that happens in episode 7 and then Jon makes his move at the end of episode 9, it plays out much better. Especially if we had more Jon and Tyrion scenes to build their relationship up more so that the jail cell scene itself had more weight and emotion to it.

The finale itself was fine, the problem was in how much they rushed the story to get there. It was a super entertaining final season but with so much less storytelling, it felt like empty calories. Tasted good but wanted more because you're not satiated.
perhaps you could explain sd's reasons for "disliking" it as well since you seem to be so in tune with other peoples minds

QB Eagles

It was dire. Bad narratively, out-of-character weirdness, tonally odd at points, huge things that made no sense, etc. I kept wanting it to be over only to discover there was a lot of time left, which is bad for someone who was formerly in love with the show.

There were at least five plot points in there that seemed like they were intended from the start (including the end of the Brienne/Jaime storyline that many predicted), but the connective tissue between them was all rotten. Whatever. Really not worth dissecting this stuff. When the series was good, it was one of the greats. Like numerous other shows do, it ran out of steam. I truly think it happened a while back.

Had to be 1000:1 odds against Ghost, Robin Arryn, and Edmure Tully all appearing in the finale.

Munson

It's a shame they didn't just give the series over to someone after Season 4/5 that wanted to flesh it out completely. It was a bad enough decision to kill the main parts of the Dorne storyline and live Victarion out all together. But when they realized they weren't willign to stick it out for as long as HBO was willign to let them, they shoulda turned it over to someone else.

Looking forward to more from this world. Prequel series' should be fun, and of course the books. Still rec' Fire and Blood to anyone who's a fan of the world and wants to know more about the Targ history.

SD

My one hope is they didn't give much backstory on the Night King or the three eyed raven because that's going to be covered in the prequel.

Cersei was my favorite character. I thought a more fitting end would have been her and Jaime getting away.

Dany's fall from grace was the worst

GOT is essentially LOTR mixed with Star Wars

The LOTR portion needs no explanation

Dany was essentially Anakin. Powerful chosen one who turns to the dark side. Her plea to Jon that they could have made the world how they wanted was eerily similar to Anakin/Padme on Mustaafar

Jon = Luke

Father was a fierce warrior and one of the most powerful people in the world. Mother was a powerful women

Parents were married in secret

Father is killed in combat

Mother dies at childbirth

Child is raised in secret by his Uncle

QB Eagles

Quote from: AO1 on May 22, 2019, 09:35:41 PM
My one hope is they didn't give much backstory on the Night King or the three eyed raven because that's going to be covered in the prequel.

That stuff was fairly botched on the show, so I don't know how well they could meld things together, but of the rumored prequels...

A show about "the Long Night", about which little has been officially written, would certainly flesh out the backstory of the white walkers. This is the previous time the dead and the "Others" invaded Westeros, about 6000-8000 years before the events of the show. This is the origin story of the Night's Watch. A show runner would have a rather blank canvas.

The Three-Eyed Raven is strongly implied in the books to be a particular highly compelling historical figure. This character would be an incredible TV anti-hero if done right, and would be a major character in any adaption of the "Dunk and Egg" novellas, which take place 90-100 years before the show time period. Of course, that's presuming the three-eyed raven, who is roughly 130 years old in the books, is the same as the one who claims to have been waiting 1000 years in the show. I suppose it's also possible the "raven" is somewhat of an ancient spirit who merges together with people like Bran, making age fairly meaningless.

The Night King does not exist in the books as a leader of White Walkers, at least so far. In the books, the "Night's King" is a historical human figure, possibly a previous Bran Stark, who was boning and/or working with White Walkers, and committing a bunch of related atrocities in the North. I don't know of any rumored show about him.

Another rumored prequel would be about the Dance of the Dragons civil war (~170 years before show). I think this would actually make the best show of all of them, but very little "magic" (other than the dragons themselves) would be part of that story. Really has nothing to do with NK or 3ER.

Munson

I think when Bran originally met the 3 eyed raven in the show, before Max Van Sydow played him, he mentioned he was "once called Brynden" or at the very least mentions he has "a thousand eyes and one", so I think it was implied that he was indeed Bryden Bloodraven, but they of course never explored that in the show.

Rome

The documentary last night was exceptional.  It centered on the periphery of the series and included a lot of cool stuff about stunts, extras, craft services, etc.   

Emilia Clarke seems like a cool chick too.