J.J. Arcega-Whiteside, Philadelphia Eagle

Started by Geowhizzer, April 26, 2019, 09:03:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Geowhizzer

Everybody too shocked to start the thread?

Rome

Joe Dougie pick.  I'm not sure what happened to DK but wow he's dropping. 

General_Failure

The man. The myth. The legend.

Diomedes

I didn't see this one coming.

I should have read more of those magazines.
There is considerable overlap between the intelligence of the smartest bears and the dumbest tourists." - Yosemite Park Ranger

ice grillin you

Quote from: Rome on April 26, 2019, 09:04:29 PM
Joe Dougie pick.  I'm not sure what happened to DK but wow he's dropping.

one trick pony....howie joe d like versatile guys....also dont sleep on the stanford worldly effect....they put a huge emphasis on character...not saying dk doesnt have it but its not the same
i can take a phrase thats rarely heard...flip it....now its a daily word

igy gettin it done like warrick

im the board pharmacist....always one step above yous

Don Ho

Quote57. J.J. Arcega-Whiteside, WR, Philadelphia Eagles

He's got a basketball background and plays like a post-up player. I think he's a better version of Devin Funchess. His hands are so strong. Even when he's being held and grabbed, it does not matter. You look at the way the Eagles used Alshon Jeffery and they got a younger version of Alshon.
"Well where does Jack Lord live, or Don Ho?  That's got to be a nice neighborhood"  Jack Singer(Nicholas Cage) in Honeymoon in Vegas.

ice grillin you

he aint no alshon....he reminds me more of the guy whose job he might take....mack hollins

General_Failure

They spent a 2nd round pick on what's going to be a 4th WR, at best, on a team that runs 2 TE sets. Uh...

The man. The myth. The legend.

SD

Would have taken a safety with this pick or traded out for more picks.

ice grillin you

Rome

I was at a draft party (yep - still have those) and the main topic was why is Metcalf still dropping. 

I guess it's a case of analyst hype overwhelming fact. Good to see him finally end up with a decent franchise, though. 

ice grillin you

57. Philadelphia Eagles: JJ Arcega-Whiteside, WR, Stanford
The best compliment you can give a wideout is when everyone knows where the ball is going, yet it can't be stopped – and that's often how it felt studying Arcega-Whiteside in jump-ball situations. His basketball background and bloodlines are evident in the way he boxes out and rebounds the football, especially in the end zone. He feels like more of a specialized receiver right now, but the potential is there to be more with the Eagles.

From the beat writer: "Somewhat surprisingly, the Eagles keep both of their second-round picks and don't recoup any of the lost picks from the Day 1 trade. At 57, they pick Stanford WR J.J. Arcega-Whiteside, which is a somewhat curious selection in type, not position. For much of the pre-draft process, they seemed to focus on speedier receivers who could potentially replace Nelson Agholor in the slot. That's not Arcega-Whiteside, who is more of an outside jump-ball player. One wonders whether the Eagles would have selected Mecole Hardman had the Chiefs not traded up to take the Georgia speedster at No. 56." —Bo Wulf

MDS

Zero hour, Michael. It's the end of the line. I'm the firstborn. I'm sick of playing second fiddle. I'm always third in line for everything. I'm tired of finishing fourth. Being the fifth wheel. There are six things I'm mad about, and I'm taking over.

PhillyPhreak54

I watched a ton of Stanford because of Pac12 After Dark

This is a good pick. He bodies up on people and high points nicely.

Don Ho

Same J, we have Pac 12 Network in Hawaii so Stanford is on all the time.  Fun team to watch and I love David Shaw.  I was more into watching the demise of USC.

Cynthia knows!

By Cynthia Frelund
NFL Network Analytics Expert

After Day 1 of the 2019 NFL Draft, I used a model that predicts future player performance to identify the five best value picks of the first round. With Rounds 2 and 3 officially in the books, I've analyzed the 71 total picks from Friday night to determine the five best Day 2 values.

2) J.J. Arcega-Whiteside, WR, Philadelphia Eagles

Drafted No. 57 overall

Before the draft started, Arcega-Whiteside ranked as my No. 38 overall player, so the fact that he was picked at No. 57 is one easy-to-see indicator of the value. However, his fit within the Eagles' offense makes him so much more valuable than a 19-pick differential can indicate.

One of the things that stands out most about the Stanford pass catcher is his red-zone production. Over the past two seasons, he scored a touchdown on 18 of his 34 red-zone targets (Pro Football Focus tracks this for all FBS schools), and his 52.9 percent TD rate paces all receivers over that time span. I also love two other PFF notes on him: He caught 57.1 percent of his deep targets last season, good for second in FBS, and eight of his 14 touchdowns were on deep targets. When I track his route running, it's precise for the entire route tree. This is certainly not true of all of the receivers in this draft.

In 2017, Carson Wentz had the NFL's best red-zone passer rating (116.0) and tied for the second-most touchdowns (23) without an interception. In 11 games in 2018, those results dropped to 10th in passer rating (101.7) with 18 touchdown passes and 1 interception in the red area. This might not seem huge, but consider that Wentz went 11-2 as the Eagles' starter in 2017 and 5-6 in 2018. Arcega-Whiteside adds efficiency to the Eagles' offense from Day 1.

"Well where does Jack Lord live, or Don Ho?  That's got to be a nice neighborhood"  Jack Singer(Nicholas Cage) in Honeymoon in Vegas.