Phillies 2017 Thread

Started by MDS, April 02, 2017, 08:00:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MDS

you cant look at freddy through the contextless prism of batting average, a fairly antiquated and arbitrary stat

hes always going to be somewhere between a 240-260 hitter. right now hes at 256. last year he was at 241. whatever. here's the key

he has a 711 ops, which is 14th among qualified shortstops. offensively, galvis is a league average ss. defensively, he is easily top 5. overall, this makes for a good player -- especially when they improve their lineup and galvis can safely hit 8th.

im not sure if jp crawford is going to be better than this. id like to find out, of course.
Zero hour, Michael. It's the end of the line. I'm the firstborn. I'm sick of playing second fiddle. I'm always third in line for everything. I'm tired of finishing fourth. Being the fifth wheel. There are six things I'm mad about, and I'm taking over.

ice grillin you

yeah and his career obp is like .280 which is absolutely horrific

freddy galvis is a below average player on a terrible team....he would probably be a terrible player on a good team...if he fell off a cliff tomorrow no one would remember him....not saying JP is gonna do anything but freddy is not in the very big picture...really why does anyone even care about him
i can take a phrase thats rarely heard...flip it....now its a daily word

igy gettin it done like warrick

im the board pharmacist....always one step above yous

MDS

what freddy did in 2013 is of no consequence to now. hes made strides offensively. its the reason hes still here and quite possibly in the majors. 2013/14 freddy wasnt very good.

good shortstops -- seager, correa, turner -- dont hit the open market. galvis is superior to a replacement-level player. they have no viable ss candidates in their minor league system, other than jp. the odds are jp is not going to be better than freddy is, and freddy, overall, is a little above average at his position.

in short, i think galvis just might stick around for a bit.
Zero hour, Michael. It's the end of the line. I'm the firstborn. I'm sick of playing second fiddle. I'm always third in line for everything. I'm tired of finishing fourth. Being the fifth wheel. There are six things I'm mad about, and I'm taking over.

ice grillin you

he had a terrible year last year as well.....he hit .240 and was literally last in the majors in obp....LAST

MDS

a 274 obp isnt good, but 20 homers are and a 673 ops was 15th among ss. his stats are much better this year! id guess jp starts the year in AAA again, so we'll see next season if what hes doing this year is real.

ice grillin you

so hes league average in one thing and the worst in the entire league in the other....be proud

also the power numbers are so artificial with the juiced ball...and in fact I'd argue that his home runs ruin his offensive game cause he swings for them all the time which is not what he should be doing

MDS

ok i dont care enough about freddy galvis to continue this

let me throw out a scenario for you people. the marlins are going to cut salary. would you:
take on chen's contract (10 mil in 18, 20 mil in 19, 22 mil in 20)
to get a below market value christian yelich
18:$7M, 19:$9.75M, 20:$12.5M, 21:$14M, 22:$15M club option

im not touching stanton's contract but chen's is over quickly enough than i see no reason not to do this.

Rome

Eagles_Legendz

Quote from: ice grillin you on August 17, 2017, 05:19:45 AM
so hes league average in one thing and the worst in the entire league in the other....be proud

also the power numbers are so artificial with the juiced ball...and in fact I'd argue that his home runs ruin his offensive game cause he swings for them all the time which is not what he should be doing

Idgaf about Freddy Galvis but OBP is a part of OPS.  So his OPS being league average is already factoring in his abominable OBP.

ice grillin you

yeah but his obp is still LAST in the league

and not last in shortstops...last for every qualified hitter....its disgraceful

and he also still hits .240

Rome

We had 10 years of a borderline HOF shortstop but now some of us are happy to accept Freddy Galvis as his replacement.

PhillyPhreak54

One hit? One goddamn hit?

- Harry Doyle

ice grillin you

thankfully they have the number one pick again with only one challenger left

but it's a formidable one in the white sox who sold their entire team off in July and are tanking as hard as I've ever seen a baseball team tank

gonna go down to the wire

PhillyPhreak54

White Sox players have missed the tank memo then

They've been playing ok lately. Swept the Astros, played the Red Sox and Dodgers close.

That Delmonico dude they got from BAL is on fire.

MDS

phillies going with two out of position AAA players tonight

who said tank