Phillies 2017 Thread

Started by MDS, April 02, 2017, 08:00:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ice grillin you

no interest can mean a lot of things....it could mean they arent interested in paying the price the marlins are asking which at this point has to be other worldly

also stanton is a very good player but not great player at this point....hes really fallen off since getting hit in the face...and his contract is utterly ridiculous....i wouldnt say id have no interest but i have little ineterest in taking him on and im definitely not paying an exorbitant price for him
i can take a phrase thats rarely heard...flip it....now its a daily word

igy gettin it done like warrick

im the board pharmacist....always one step above yous

MDS

Quote from: SD on July 13, 2017, 11:41:37 AMI'm trying to rationalize why they wouldn't want Stanton.

because he has a crippling contract and power hitters tend to suck the later they go into their career (see howard, ryan)

if the contract ended in 2022 or something, theyd have no reason not to do it. but it ends in 2028. you dont figure to be competitive for a few years, so adding stanton to a 55-win team to make them a 60-win team doesnt really seem worthwhile.

not to mention, they are loaded with outfield prospects and a better player named bryce harper is a free agent in 2018. if you want to sign up for a crippling contract, do it for the first ballot hall of famer.
Zero hour, Michael. It's the end of the line. I'm the firstborn. I'm sick of playing second fiddle. I'm always third in line for everything. I'm tired of finishing fourth. Being the fifth wheel. There are six things I'm mad about, and I'm taking over.

Geowhizzer

SD

Quote from: MDS on July 13, 2017, 12:05:11 PM
Quote from: SD on July 13, 2017, 11:41:37 AMI'm trying to rationalize why they wouldn't want Stanton.

because he has a crippling contract and power hitters tend to suck the later they go into their career (see howard, ryan)

if the contract ended in 2022 or something, theyd have no reason not to do it. but it ends in 2028. you dont figure to be competitive for a few years, so adding stanton to a 55-win team to make them a 60-win team doesnt really seem worthwhile.

not to mention, they are loaded with outfield prospects and a better player named bryce harper is a free agent in 2018. if you want to sign up for a crippling contract, do it for the first ballot hall of famer.

They aren't 'loaded' with outfield prospects. Which one has the potential to turn into a star? Moniak/Quinn/Williams/Cozens/Randolph? Just because you have an abundance of prospects doesn't mean you're 'loaded'. They'll be lucky if 1 or 2 of them turns into an everyday above average player.

And Harper isn't a guarantee. He's only 3 years younger than Stanton.

MDS

loaded doesnt mean theyre all awesome, it just means they have a lot of them. you dont know how theyre going to turn out. altherr was forgotten and hes been their best hitter. herrera was a rule v pick. you just want to have as many lotto tickets as possible and hope a few work out.

stanton is a very good player with a very bad contract. if the phillies were ready to win now, hed make more sense, especially if you can get some salary assistance. but they wont be ready to win until stanton is 30. and at that point, hed still have 7 years left on his deal.
Zero hour, Michael. It's the end of the line. I'm the firstborn. I'm sick of playing second fiddle. I'm always third in line for everything. I'm tired of finishing fourth. Being the fifth wheel. There are six things I'm mad about, and I'm taking over.

ice grillin you

prospects have nothing to do with it...its all about that heinous contract

PhillyPhreak54

And why they'd be insistent upon getting Yelich in the deal

MDS

from heymans column

QuoteResponding to a person who remarked that the Phillies are a couple years away, a Phillies person honestly said, "maybe more than a couple."

j - thoughts?

Rome

That's such bullshtein.  They could contend in a hot minute if they bought a real team.  Keep accepting the lies of owners of losing franchises.   It's what they count on.

ice grillin you

you cant buy teams in baseball and even if you could who the hell would go to the phillies right now

MDS

if they had just signed matt weiters they would have 50 wins now

Rome

Quote from: ice grillin you on July 13, 2017, 03:13:21 PM
you cant buy teams in baseball and even if you could who the hell would go to the phillies right now

A team with $150M in payroll flexibility and a few billion in the pipeline can buy whatever the farg they want. 

And players will go to the highest bidder regardless of wins and losses. 

ice grillin you

you have to build from your system first and then you can try to fill in with free agents...and even when you go after free agents you have to have an appealing franchise and then you have to outbid the other big boys in the league for the best free agents

1. their system hasnt done shtein yet
2. they are not a destination for anyone
3. they still have to prove they can outbid the big boys (once they are on an even playing field with them as far as free agent appeal)

again you cant buy a team in baseball so buckle in tight for another three or four years and maybe then they will be competing for a playoff spot

MDS

romey can you name 1 team that had a sustained level of success with the core group coming from free agency?

ill answer it for you. it doesnt exist.

PhillyPhreak54

Quote from: MDS on July 13, 2017, 02:52:03 PM
from heymans column

QuoteResponding to a person who remarked that the Phillies are a couple years away, a Phillies person honestly said, "maybe more than a couple."

j - thoughts?

Fire whomever said that and any loser who won't be aggressive in building the team and getting someone at the head of the ship who will push the right buttons