Phillies 2017 Thread

Started by MDS, April 02, 2017, 08:00:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ice grillin you

no one is saying whether he can do the job or not yet but every move counts towards eventually figuring that out...my point is just because it doesnt matter whether michael saunders worked out or not doesnt mean you dont use it as a way of grading the GM
i can take a phrase thats rarely heard...flip it....now its a daily word

igy gettin it done like warrick

im the board pharmacist....always one step above yous

MDS

i give him points for not doing anything outwardly stupid, like committing years and money to a veteran when they are a galaxy away from competing.

saunders had a bad 2nd half last year and his OPS this year was still 200 points lower than where he was in 16. there was just no way to predict he would be as horrendously bad as he was. yea you can "blame" klentak for that but their options for a corner outfielder on a 1 year deal were sort of limited.
Zero hour, Michael. It's the end of the line. I'm the firstborn. I'm sick of playing second fiddle. I'm always third in line for everything. I'm tired of finishing fourth. Being the fifth wheel. There are six things I'm mad about, and I'm taking over.

Rome

How many moves was he prevented from making by ownership?   I mean it's a rhetorical question that really can't be answered but I really do wonder sometimes. 

MDS

Quote from: Rome on June 30, 2017, 09:49:25 AM
How many moves was he prevented from making by ownership?   I mean it's a rhetorical question that really can't be answered but I really do wonder sometimes.

zero

also nick williams got called up. hooray! they brought up DA KID. id imagine he plays exclusively against rhp.
Zero hour, Michael. It's the end of the line. I'm the firstborn. I'm sick of playing second fiddle. I'm always third in line for everything. I'm tired of finishing fourth. Being the fifth wheel. There are six things I'm mad about, and I'm taking over.

Rome

So hypothetically if Klentak wanted to spend a hundred million on salaries just for 2017, or dump all the garbage vets this past offseason and really tank the shtein out of the season, you don't think ownership would have vetoed those moves?

MDS

that doesnt make any sense. theres no way you can spend 100 million dollars worth of 1 year contracts.

they also had no "garbage vets" to dump. maybe jenmar gomez? he hardly qualifies. and they are basically tanking this season...even going into spring training their talent level was very low.

Rome

I wasn't just talking about 1-yr deals but it's not like there was anyone worth backing up the Brinks truck for anyway.   

Now if the Phillies sign Harper, Machado and David Price in 2018, that's easily $100M in outlay for the first year. 

Would this ownership ok that or whatever it would take?

ice grillin you

middleton is basically on record as saying he will spend whatever it takes

also their payroll for the better part of a decade has been MASSIVE so i have no idea where you get this narrative that they are cheap

ice grillin you

also perfect timing on nick as im just about to leave for shea for the weekend

over under on k's against degrom tonight = 3

MDS

Quote from: ice grillin you on June 30, 2017, 11:04:51 AM

also their payroll for the better part of a decade has been MASSIVE so i have no idea where you get this narrative that they are cheap

youre talking about romey...getting inside that beautiful mind is impossible

SD

Quote from: ice grillin you on June 30, 2017, 11:04:51 AM

Talk is cheap

For the better part of a decade they were practically printing money. Their payroll was massive because they were winning. They're one of the largest markets, and for a 5 year stretch were one of the top teams in the MLB in a city that was starving for a winner.

Their run ended roughly 7 years ago. They've signed nobody of relevance in that time. Meanwhile they signed a mega deal with Comcast.

Until they prove otherwise they're back to being cheap. I understand the plan of developing young players but so far that plan has amounted to 5 consecutive losing seasons in which at no point were they in contention for a playoff spot.

MDS

that is fundamentally false

their run in 2011...they were still decent on paper in 2012...they tried to win up until 2014

in those years they long termed utley, rollins, ruiz and hamels. they signed papelbon. they signed aj burnett (1 year deal, but big money).

since they decided to "rebuild" they have not spent massive amounts of money on veterans to come and play for a terrible team. correct. this is the smart move.

QB Eagles

It would have been the smart move if they were capable of developing their own talent. When you're on your fourth rebuild year and you're by far the worst team in baseball and have a farm full of marginal-at-best MLB players, it's difficult to argue that you made the right moves.

MDS

i dont understand that. how is this the 4th rebuild?

when they decided to rebuild -- 2-3 years later than they shouldve -- they had basically no talent at the top levels of the minors. that talent is now in AAA and in the majors, but most of it has not turned out great. there is more potential in low A, sure.

what combination of moves could they have made, post utley/howard/rollins breakup, to be competitive now? what combination of free agents were out there that would help them be a contender now? there answer is zero because no scenario existed.

SD

Quote from: MDS on June 30, 2017, 12:26:07 PM

what combination of moves could they have made, post utley/howard/rollins breakup, to be competitive now? what combination of free agents were out there that would help them be a contender now? there answer is zero because no scenario existed.

You tell us Theo. Put those analytics to work. I'll wait.