Phillies

Started by MDS, March 29, 2018, 04:09:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rome

That's not stupid money considering what these guys are getting paid.   

- However -

If he's worth 15-17 million a year, what is Harper worth or Trout for that matter?

Geowhizzer

Rome

If that was a troll job it was both mean and hilarious. 

Nice to see us wearing off on Rhys. 

MDS

Quote from: PhillyPhreak54 on December 11, 2018, 05:49:40 PM
That is a lot of money for him

jay bruce is getting 14 mil this year

Quote from: Rome on December 11, 2018, 06:03:41 PM
If he's worth 15-17 million a year, what is Harper worth or Trout for that matter?

north of 30
Zero hour, Michael. It's the end of the line. I'm the firstborn. I'm sick of playing second fiddle. I'm always third in line for everything. I'm tired of finishing fourth. Being the fifth wheel. There are six things I'm mad about, and I'm taking over.

Rome

I think they'll both clear $35M/Yr.  Harper might clear $40M.

ice grillin you

happ to the yanks thank god
i can take a phrase thats rarely heard...flip it....now its a daily word

igy gettin it done like warrick

im the board pharmacist....always one step above yous

MDS

kenny walked that back...hes got 100 offers for 2 years, none for 3. his people gonna hold until the 3 comes.
Zero hour, Michael. It's the end of the line. I'm the firstborn. I'm sick of playing second fiddle. I'm always third in line for everything. I'm tired of finishing fourth. Being the fifth wheel. There are six things I'm mad about, and I'm taking over.

ice grillin you

its oretty funny that the billion dollar phillies who were getting harper and machado cant get ja happ

ice grillin you

Phillies never had a chance at Harper or machado

who could have predicted this....

SD

Quote from: ice grillin you on December 12, 2018, 10:57:23 PM

who could have predicted this....

Me when I said they should have made every possible effort to go after Stanton and not rely on possibly signing Harper or Machado. I know he had an NTC blah blah blah but if they were really serious about getting "stupid" with spending they could have enticed him to come here. We're now stuck with 32 year old Mcclutchen and not much else to show this offseason. Signing him was as pointless as signing Santana last season. They might as well continue to bank rather than sign zesty deals and make a run at Trout in a few years. Their farm system is great st producing hyped up prospects who don't pan out.

MDS

Quote from: ice grillin you on December 12, 2018, 10:57:23 PM

you always have a chance if youre offering more money. i actually think their best chance is harper. machado wants to be at short and wants to be in NY. boras' clients always take the better deal so if they just outbid LA (where he wants to go, and which doesnt have the salary space...yet), they might get him.

Quote from: AO1 on December 13, 2018, 07:56:02 AM
Me when I said they should have made every possible effort to go after Stanton and not rely on possibly signing Harper or Machado.

no idea why youre still on this. stanton didnt want to come here and his contract is a disaster they should stay 1000 miles away from even if he wanted to.

ice grillin you

QuoteIn​ the words of one rival​ executive, it is the​ worst nightmare for​ the​ Phillies,​ also known​ as​​ Team Stupid Money: Manny Machado signs with the Yankees while Bryce Harper is still a free agent, increasing the pressure on the Phils to strike a deal with Harper's ever-accommodating agent, Scott Boras.

Remember the early talk about the Phillies signing both 26-year-old stars? It never made sense, but managing partner John Middleton sure raised expectations when he told USA Today at the owners' meetings in November, "We're going into this expecting to spend money. And maybe even be a little stupid about it."

Middleton added the qualifier, "We just prefer not to be completely stupid," but suddenly Team Stupid Money was a thing. And I don't know, just a guess, but the good citizens of Philadelphia are not going to be content if the Phillies settle for free-agent outfielder Andrew McCutchen and a couple of high-priced relievers, then conclude, "Machado and Harper, gee, they just cost too much."

Machado spent 90 minutes on Wednesday with the Yankees, the team that is at the top of the wish list, if you believe the industry buzz and what his friends supposedly are saying in Miami. He will visit the Phillies on Thursday, getting re-acquainted with three familiar faces from his days with the Orioles – team president Andy MacPhail, general manager Matt Klentak and assistant GM Ned Rice.

With Phillies manager Gabe Kapler also expected to be in attendance, the stakes could not be higher. The Phils need to connect with Machado as they fight the Yankees' mystique and aura, not to mention the White Sox with their new TV contract and newly acquired first baseman Yonder Alonso, who just happens to be – coincidence, just coincidence! – Machado's brother-in-law.

Mostly, though, the Phils just need to offer Machado stupid money, whether it's on Thursday or at some other point in the near future – enough to persuade him to give up shortstop for third base, force his other suitors into submission and eliminate the possibility of a dizzying tango with Boras over Harper for the next, oh, month or two months. A tango that, gulp, still might end up with Harper returning to the division rival Nationals.

The Phillies can hem and haw about all of the other ways they can improve, but they were pointing toward this moment long before Middleton's comments, preparing to finish off their rebuilding effort by unleashing their financial might on a deep free-agent class. Whether it was Harper or Machado, Machado or Harper, virtually the entire industry – not to mention the entire city of Philadelphia – assumed the Phils were ready to go big.

To this point, though, the Monsters of the Middleton have been relatively quiet, signing McCutchen to a semi-excessive, three-year, $50 million deal and acquiring shortstop Jean Segura in a five-player trade with the Mariners that carried the dual benefit of ridding the team of Carlos Santana and clearing first base for Rhys Hoskins.

Team Stupid Money lacks a left-handed starting pitcher, but after declining to guarantee Patrick Corbin a sixth year and J.A. Happ a third, might end up trading for the less accomplished Mike Minor of the Rangers. Team Stupid Money wants to sign a free-agent left-handed reliever, but has yet to complete a deal six days after Jim Salisbury of NBC Sports Philadelphia reported the Phils were "strongly" on Andrew Miller.

Corbin, 29, went to the Nationals for six years, $140 million – the Yankees also drew the line at five years, as if the risk in a deal of that length increases dramatically with the extra year. Happ, 36, went to the Yankees for two years, $34 million – more money than the Phillies were willing to offer him over the same term.

Which begs the question: What is the point of talking about stupid money if you're not going to use it?

On Nov. 19, The Athletic's Matt Gelb detailed the inherent conflict between the aggressiveness of Middleton and the more deliberate, risk-averse MacPhail and Klentak.

If anything, Middleton is the outlier, a good, old-fashioned, money-whipping owner. These days, almost every team preaches discipline, managing its payroll with the bloodless efficiency of a broker managing his portfolio. The Yankees, in fact, might take the same take-it-or-leave-it approach with Machado they did with Corbin, refusing to be sucked into say, a 10-year deal.

The difference is, the Yankees won 100 games last season, and they can pivot by acquiring a second baseman and trotting out a left-side infield of shortstop Gleyber Torres and third baseman Miguel Andújar – two of the top three finishers in the AL Rookie of the Year balloting – while Didi Gregorius recovers from Tommy John surgery.

The Phillies, on the other hand, currently feature the enigmatic Maikel Franco at third in addition to the talented Segura at short. And, as noted by The Athletic's Jayson Stark, they were the first team to endure a losing season – their sixth straight, for those counting – after being 15 or more games above .500 after 113 games.

I can hear the Phillies' brass already if they blow it with Machado and Harper, calling for patience, whispering about the possibility of signing third baseman Nolan Arenado in free agency next offseason or south Jersey native Mike Trout the offseason after that. Well, Arenado and Trout would be older than 26 if they hit the open market – a significant if, considering both might sign extensions. And if the Phillies cannot close on Machado or Harper, why should anyone expect them to close on any big free agent in the future?

Don't look now, but the other NL East contenders are undeterred by the alleged sleeping giant in Philadelphia. The Nationals will be improved with or without Harper. New Mets GM Brodie Van Wagenen, in possession of either new proprietary metrics or enhanced psychedelics, believes his team might be the division favorite. The Braves added third baseman Josh Donaldson and catcher Brian McCann to their division-champion roster, and possess better young talent than any of their division rivals.

For the Phillies, the choice is clear.

Do not get cute. Do not miss on the player you have spent years coveting. Do not advance to negotiations with Boras with your leverage compromised.

You're Team Stupid Money, remember?

Sign Machado.

Rome

What jilted bitchtits wrote that slop?

ice grillin you

national writer....no jilt involved...just truth

Rome

No writer of any sort of quality uses that tone unless they have an axe to grind with the subjects involved. 

Whoever wrote it clearly has a bias against the Phillies regardless if truths were revealed or not.  And they were, but it comes off as petty and unprofessional.